ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Naturalization Time-Line!!!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mo007

British Naturalization Time-Line!!!

Post by Mo007 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:52 pm

Hi

My 1st post here, great site!

Ok, I sent my IND Natruralization forms 3 weeks ago, I haven't heard anything from them yet. I called the home office a week ago, to enquire about why I haven't received acknowledgement letter, they said they were going to send one, but since I called, there was no need to send one to me, and so they gave me a reference number over the phone for future enquiries.

The home office also told me at the time, that they were back-logged with processing naturalization cases 4-5 months, but they added that was an average time, that it could less than that or more.

A home office operator actually told me that cases are processed in different buildings, and I noticed on numerous occassions, that the Nationality Group (people who process the application), used different (the last 3 digits) postcodes, which concurs with cases getting to different buildings. So, cases are being worked on by different case-workers, and in effect, the time to process them can vary (maybe to do with the level of experience the case-worker has too).

I applied as ILR, and only recently (just before applying) lost my travel document with the ILR stamp. Luckily, I had it color-copied before I lost it. I reported the incident to the police, who gave me a "lost in the streets" report, which I attached to the color-copies of my travel-document, and sent it together with the application. I am just worried if that will delay/deny my application? any ideas?

I also sent my school certificate (bachelor degree) for the english proficiency rule, and also shows that I was present in the country exactly 5 years to the day I sent my application (satisfying the silly residency rule).

Also, I applied for my police report personally, and attached it with the application, hoping that would make the process quicker (unfortunately they do their own police checks).

Finally, I called the home-office yesterday. They have now cashed my naturalization fee, and my application is now awaiting for a case-worker, which should start working on it in couple of weeks (according to the operator I spoke to) maybe awaiting for a police check.

Is it true that postal applications take longer than service centers?

I just would like to see what other's are experiencing, especially for those who applied recently. I have heard since the home office increased the naturalization fee, they have become very efficient by hiring more case workers. Let's hope that's true.

Thanks for your responses.

- mo
Last edited by Mo007 on Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:45 pm

One thing seems certain ... the time it takes for applications for naturalisation to be approved seems to vary considerably .... and sometimes for no apparent reason.

The IND website continues to mention an average time of 6 to 7 months for naturalisation applications. However many people wait far less than that. My wife, who applied in April last year, waited just five weeks before hearing she was successful, and recently on this board someone reported they got their "application successful" letter after just four days! But admittedly that person used the Nationality Checking Service ("NCS"), which is just available in six pilot areas at the moment.

Whilst IND make it clear that there is an application fee, not a success fee, it is known that sometimes an application that clearly lacks some supporting document is promptly returned to the applicant without the fee being taken. For example, just after the language requirement was added last summer, those whose applications simply ignored that aspect found their applications promptly returned without the fee being taken.

You have lost your travel document with its ILR sticker. Totally possible this is wrong but I wonder whether someone was considering simply returning the application? A delay in taking the fee seems to suggest that was a possibility, but the fact that the fee has now been taken suggests the matter is now being properly considered.

Hopefully you will hear soon.

The comment must be, for those yet to apply for their Naturalisation as British, use the NCS if you can .... it seems to speed up matters very considerably.
John

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:30 pm

Thanks for your suggestions John, it's comforting to hear that my lost Travel Document with the ILR stamp maybe acceptable for successful application.

So, if I can quote you the following statement you posted:

John wrote:You have lost your travel document with its ILR sticker. Totally possible this is wrong but I wonder whether someone was considering simply returning the application? A delay in taking the fee seems to suggest that was a possibility, but the fact that the fee has now been taken suggests the matter is now being properly considered.
considerably.

Fortunetly, I did have color-copy of my travel document (including the ILR stamp - nice and clear :D ), and if the home-office said they cashed my postal orders (the fee), then - as you put it, it's an indication that my application is qualifiable, right? - has there ever been a situation where the fee is cashed, and then the application is denied/more documents needed? - or is it, the fee is only cashed because everything is there?

Also, I was unemployed graduate student for 4 years prior to my application, because I was busy doing research on a small busines I wanted to start after my university graduation. So the only thing I could do was to give a written explanation of what I did during that time, and therefore couldn't provide any P45/tax documents along with my application. Can this become an issue? - I was in the country all this time, except couple of trips to Europe, but never been abroad more than a week all together, in the past 4 years.

Thanks again

- mo

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:49 pm

Mo, I suspect the IND statistics don't even reflect those whose applications are promptly returned. So those those applications which start to be considered, where the fee is taken, yes a percentage of them do end up getting rejected. So the fact that the fee has been taken is no proof that the application will be successful.

The photocopy ILR ... well that exists not just on your travel document but also in the IND computer system, so IND can actually verify that you really have got ILR.

You were unemployed for four years? Can I ask, how did you survive? Could you claim Public Funds? When you say "travel document" is it the case you were an asylum seeker who was successful?

Are you working now? I just have a feeling that without adequate explanation four years unemployment might indeed be held against you. But that is only my opinion ... other opinions very welcome.
John

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:06 pm

John wrote:You were unemployed for four years? Can I ask, how did you survive? Could you claim Public Funds? When you say "travel document" is it the case you were an asylum seeker who was successful?
Well, I got my ILR via successful asylum - that's how I how got a 10yrs "travel document".

I was living with my parents during the period which I was unemployed (hoping to start a small business), so they financially supported me. I started claiming unemployment benefits within the last 6 months of that 4 years period (I sent a letter from the unemployment agency with my naturalization application).
Are you working now? I just have a feeling that without adequate explanation four years unemployment might indeed be held against you. But that is only my opinion ... other opinions very welcome.
Currently, I am not working, and looking for jobs while claiming unemployment benefits. I haven't come across any condition(s) regarding employment as a must in the IND naturalization guideline. But, I sent a letter saying that I am unemployed from the unemployment agency as a proof. I did provide as I said, a letter explaining what I was doing that 4 years, I am not sure if that will be adequate enough.

- mo

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:04 pm

John?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:07 pm

Sorry for the delaying in replying.

I have just had a look at the instructions given to staff dealing with naturalisation applications. A copy of the Word doc can be downloaded by clicking here.

Lots of detail there. Have a look at 5.2. It is all about whether the "good character test" has been passed. It says :-
Normally, the following matters should not, of themselves, be relevant to determining whether the good character requirement has been met:

• Divorce/separation, or other marital or domestic problems
• Promiscuity or sexual preference within the law
• Drinking or gambling
• Eccentricity, including beliefs, appearance and lifestyle
Unemployment/working habits/means of support
(my emphasis!)

Which in itself is good but nevertheless a four-year period of unemployment may possibly lead to deeper investigation, and thus an above-average delay in getting the result of the application. Hopefully I am wrong about that but I fear it as a danger.
John

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:48 am

Thanks John.

I agree, I think the last point in section 5.2 entirely applies to my situation:

• Unemployment/working habits/means of support

For one, I was unemployed for about 3.5 years. Maybe the fact that I was busy trying to start a business during that period could be considered some sort of working habit :roll:, and finally - my means of support during that time where my parents.

So therefore, the home office should not use those factors to be relevant in determining whether the good character has been met or not, as it suggests in their guideline. In fact, the guideline doesn't even say anything about the need of further evidence(s)/proof from the applicant regarding these matters if it comes into question, and possibly not effecting the determining period of the application to be approved.

Maybe there will not be any danger afterall. :)

Thanks to you, the link you provided was very helpful to me, in doing some research on how case-workers deal with naturalization cases. For example, I was worried about sending copies of my travel document (accompanied by a police report stating that it was lost) as not being acceptable. I was reliefed when I found the following:
1. Photocopies sent in by applicants

1.1 We should always ask to see original documents in support of an application for or a claim to citizenship. Photocopies are generally unacceptable, and particularly so where:

- there is good reason to suppose that the photocopy (or the original) has been forged

- it is illegible

- it does not contain complete or up-to-date information (e.g. an incomplete photocopy of the pages of a passport, or a complete photocopy which is thought to have been taken prior to relevant absences from the United Kingdom)

1.2 Photocopies should only be accepted where:

- the applicant/claimant puts forward convincing reasons for not being able to supply the originals, or

- they are supplied by a reputable third party (e.g. an MP, a solicitor, or a Government department)
A government department in this case can be the Police Station, right?. If so, my Travel Document photocopies should not be a problem according to those procedural notes. In addition, I read something else in the procedural notes, that any evidence already on the home office file should be taken into account (like the issuance of the Travel Document and the ILR stamp). If documents have been seen and noted in the past it is not always necessary to ask to see them again (in this case it was lost documents that are already on the home office file).

Furthermore, I found that Travel Documents is critical to determining/checking the residence requirements:
2. Checking the residence requirements

2.1 We should assess whether the applicant has met the residence requirements from checking the following:

- original passport(s) or travel document(s) and any Home Office papers; or

- failing these, any other evidence (e.g. employer's letters, a Seaman's Record Book, tax and National Insurance letters)

NB. Passports will not necessarily be stamped to show embarkation from the United Kingdom. In these and other circumstances (e.g. involving lost or stolen passports), applicants should be given the benefit of any doubt where claimed absences cannot be otherwise verified but are within the limits we would normally allow and there are no grounds to doubt the accuracy of the claim.
I guess this was another close call, and hopefully not raise any red flags.

Thanks again, John.

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:28 pm

Another quick question.

Even though the home office recommends applicants not to call enquire about their naturalization cases, will calls made to check the status of a case work against the applicant(s) (will it delay the process)?

Thanks

- mo

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:05 pm

Mo ... I think a bit of patience required here. After all the IND website talks of an average delay for naturalisation applications of 6 to 7 months ... and you have been waiting less than two months.

So I think if you do feel the need to phone, and I would counsel against that, certainly wait until say March 2006 before making your call.

You were justified in phoning after you got no acknowledgement letter but now you know that they have received the application just be patient!
John

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:52 pm

John wrote:After all the IND website talks of an average delay for naturalisation applications of 6 to 7 months ... and you have been waiting less than two months.
I agree John, just wanted to see if calling them effects the actual process. I know they log every call they receive from an applicatant on to his/her case. I guess, it's probably not a good idea then. :)

By the way, when I called the IND couple of weeks ago, the operator told me a different average delay than the one on IND's website. It's now 4-5 months delay (as of then). So I was advised that my application process should be completed by September/October time at the latest.

Thanks

- mo

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:26 pm

Hi

I finally received an acknowledgement of receipt to my application (British Citizenship) today, but it's dated 22nd of June (my application was received at Liverpool on the 14th of June). It's says this;
This is to acknowledge receipt of your application and the following documents.

Application Forms - 1
Photo-copied Documents (no number)
Supporting Documents - 7

The fee of £268 is also acknowledged.

Just wondering, for those who received acknowledgement letters to their naturalization application, how many supporting documents did your acknowledgement letter say?

It's funny, I don't remember sending 7 supporting documents, unless the home office considers 1 supporting document as 2 or more sometimes, is this possible? - Also, does 7 supporting documents sound sufficient for a typical application?

Another weird thing is, I included a photo-copy of my lost travel document with my application (attached with a police report confirming that I lost it), but the acknowledgement letter doesn't show any photo-copied documents being received (see above). Any ideas?

Thanks again guys.

- mo

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:25 pm

Mo

Don't worry too much about the minor details; you got your acknoledgement letter, now just sit back and relax. 8)

Joseph

User

Post by User » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi M0,

Don't worry about the naturalisation process. It will be a breeze if all the documentation is in order :-)

The only thing you should pray god about is that they should not make any silly spelling mistakes in your naturalisation certificate that they send across to the council where you will take your ceremony to receive that certificate.

I got naturalised in less than 4 weeks effectively, but then i recd. my naturalisation certificate with my place of birth wronlgy spelt "by just one alphabet" (well it was HO's mistake) and guess what? - I have been waiting for the nationality group to get it corrected for about 4 weeks now.

They have confirmed to me that they have assigned my case to a case worker and he is yet to pick it up for correction... and they have confirmed that it can take anywhere between 9-10 weeks - that is close to 3 months or so! I have to just live without a travel document for several months because i have already lost my native country citizenship by aquiring the british citizenship and I cannot apply for british passport without getting my naturalisation certificate corrected. :roll:

Just pray that they should not do any "spelling mistakes" and you will just be fine :-)

regards.

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:28 pm

Thanks guys.

I am chilling for the moment. 8)

user - Good luck with your corrections.

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:00 am

Yes, Yes, Yeeeees! :D

I finally got my approval letter today! - the waiting has finally come to an end. Thanks to those who supported me during the anxious times, specially "John", you have been very helpful.

Thank you! 8)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:29 am

Congratulations! Glad it all worked out in the end.

A rough calculation shows you encountered a delay of about 2.5 months, so that is better than the fast-reducing average shown on the IND website.

Enjoy your Citizenship Ceremony!
John

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:32 am

If memory serves me correctly I recall a government commitment to reduce naturalisation times to a max of 3 months by the 2nd quarter of 2006. Trendline from Home Office statistics and anectodal evidence from practitioners in the immigration field (to include that on this forum) indicate they are on target. Of course things are not that straightforward - the timelines tend to apply for recent applicants. This 2 tier trend (that goes against the fairness of 'first in' so 'first to be reviewed') has become the norm e.g. HSMP. I know people who submitted their naturalisation applications in early 2003 and they are still waiting!!! Some have withdrawn and resubmitted.

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:56 am

Thanks guys,

The approval letter is dated August 25th, how long does it take for people to receive their invitation to the citizenship letter after the approval? - I am hoping I get it a week from now at the latest.

Many thanks.

- mo

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:02 am

Mo, you should get that letter from your Local Authority within a week or so. Certainly there will not be a long delay.

Kayalami, as regards naturalisation applications, hopefully things will get even better if the Checking Service goes nationwide rather than in just six pilot areas.
John

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:23 am

I got my approval in less than a week (if you got by the date 5 working days) but my citizenship ceremony is next month with is almost 40 days after getting the approval

private ceremony cost £200... lol

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:47 am

Thanks John, I will update you guys as soon as I get the invitiation letter.

Olisun - I called my local citizenship center today, and they told me that the private ceremony costs just £75 at their office. So, I will definetly do that, as I have personal overseas arrangements next month. Earliest group ceremony is about 5 weeks from the day your local office gets your certificate from the home office, which for me is too long under personal circumstances.

Soon, I will be asking you about the fastest way to get British passport, I heard it can be done in just 4 hours if you apply in person, is this true? - if so, for how much?

Thanks again everyone.

- mo

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:20 pm

Mo, do appreciate that you cannot apply until you actually hold the naturalisation certificate and by definition your passport application will be for a first British passport. Accordingly as this page shows you are denied the chance to get a passport in anything like four hours.

If I were you I would use the checking service at a Post Office. OK, that costs a few pounds extra but applications submitted in that way are given priority by the Passport Agency.

Have you got a passport application form? If not get one from a Post Office and start completing it, and think about who you will ask to countersign the form. Then it might be just a question of entering the number of the naturalisation certificate when that is known.

For my wife, she attended her Citizenship Ceremony early afternoon, then we came home and took a photocopy of the naturalisation certificate and then took the passport application and supporting documents straight to the Post Office. Her British Passport arrived delivered by courier about 10 days later.
John

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:27 pm

John wrote:Kayalami, as regards naturalisation applications, hopefully things will get even better if the Checking Service goes nationwide rather than in just six pilot areas.
I actually think otherwise. Those from the 6 pilot areas are being fast tracked over all other applicants. Increase the number of pilot centres and effectively increase the population being fast tracked unless caseworkers increased in similar proportion. Think of the urgent queue for HSMP/FLR applications - there is now a queue to join this queue :roll: . I believe timelines will go back up to the 3 month mark to better represent this. I also expect the new 'citizenship class' rules from 1 Nov 2005 will increase timelines given the inherent bureacracy compared to that now - in effect all you currently need is someone to verify your spoken English..such may or may not be accurate based on subjectivity. Likewise IMHO at some point in time there must be a fingerprinting regime for ILR/ naturalisation. It befalls logic why this is not already done. This is another admin task that may very well raise processing times.
Mo007 wrote:Olisun - I called my local citizenship center today, and they told me that the private ceremony costs just £75 at their office. So, I will definetly do that, as I have personal overseas arrangements next month. Earliest group ceremony is about 5 weeks from the day your local office gets your certificate from the home office, which for me is too long under personal circumstances.
Oh the joys of a free market :lol:
Mo007 wrote:Soon, I will be asking you about the fastest way to get British passport, I heard it can be done in just 4 hours if you apply in person, is this true? - if so, for how much?
Not available for 1st time applicants who may not submit in person. Sorry. If it helps you should get it within 8-10 working days if you use the post office checking service. But hey who knows - with your handle it could be strings are pulled for a state agent...in the meantime have a martini...shaken not stirred :lol:

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:14 pm

Hey guys,

I am filling out the passport application, it says I should provide a professional person as a referee. Just wondering what kind of people would qualify as professional, also if you could share the profession of the people you used as a reference.

- mo