ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Interesting Case

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DesignChick
BANNED

Interesting Case

Post by DesignChick » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:21 pm

I have an interesting case, and need some advice before applying.

I am a Jamaican/U.S. citizen living in Jamaica with my UK husband. He was born in London, moved to Jamaica at 3, then Bangladesh, Denmark and New York. He moved back to Jamaica in his mid 20's and has been here for the last 15 years. He has never lived in the UK as an adult.

We have been married for 7 years and have two children (ages 2 and 4), who both have EU passports (we got married in Jamaica) and now plan to move to England. He will go ahead of us and plans to apply for my settlement visa as soon as he's "settled".

- What should he ensure is in place?
- How much money does he have to have in an account?
- Does it make a difference that I have a Bachelors Degree in Design and see jobs that I can apply for?

Please help I need advice.

In addition, he wants to apply for my mother (who is retired, owns her own home, but who we support.) Right now she takes care of our children while work.

Help!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:54 pm

How do you both have 'EU' passports - there is no such thing...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Sorry, My children and my husband have UK passports. I have United States and Jamaican.
Do you have any advice?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:18 am

As far as I know it is not obligatory for the British spouse to establish residence in the United Kingdom beforehand.

Do your children also have American passports?

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Interesting Case

Post by sakura » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:17 pm

DesignChick wrote:I have an interesting case, and need some advice before applying.

I am a Jamaican/U.S. citizen living in Jamaica with my UK husband. He was born in London, moved to Jamaica at 3, then Bangladesh, Denmark and New York. He moved back to Jamaica in his mid 20's and has been here for the last 15 years. He has never lived in the UK as an adult.

We have been married for 7 years and have two children (ages 2 and 4), who both have EU passports (we got married in Jamaica) and now plan to move to England. He will go ahead of us and plans to apply for my settlement visa as soon as he's "settled".

- What should he ensure is in place?
- How much money does he have to have in an account?
- Does it make a difference that I have a Bachelors Degree in Design and see jobs that I can apply for?

Please help I need advice.

In addition, he wants to apply for my mother (who is retired, owns her own home, but who we support.) Right now she takes care of our children while work.

Help!
It might be difficult to sponsor your mother if she owns her own home. Dependant parents need to be over 60 or 65 and financially dependent (i.e. little or no source of income of their own....the house is/can be turned into a liquid asset, no?).

In terms of your job prospects, it is good if you can show that you will be able to work, and you can include details of how you plan to support yourselves. Some applicants do show details of job interviews and the such.

Your husband should have accommodation and finances ready. There is no set amount, but 3-6 months' payslips or bank statements showing you have enough to support yourselves. Accommodation-wise, maybe a 2 or 3 bedroom property (you can live with family but you would need at least two rooms to yourselves and might need to get a letter stating the house isn't overcrowded).

See here for more.

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Only my son has a US passport.

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:51 pm

So it may be difficult to get my mother approved.

I have applied for a few jobs but was told that because I am not in the country as yet they cannot help me.