ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW changes after 31st march for PG Cert. & Diploma hold

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rahulkhanna
Newly Registered

PSW changes after 31st march for PG Cert. & Diploma hold

Post by rahulkhanna » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:32 pm

It's is really disspointing to see new PSW rules for International students doing PG. Cert and Diploma Students in U.K :(

I am currently pursuing PG. Cert. course from a highly reputed/44th rank university in UK and I've joinned the program in Jan-09, my course will end in Jun-09. But as per your sudden policy change I can't even apply for a PSW and I have no other option othen then to go back to my country :(

I would just like to ask one thing from home-office.. wasn't it required to give consideration at least to those students who are currently doing this course ??

Wasn't it required from home office to give at least 6 month's notice to the students who are currently enrolled ??

I have given all my fees, I am paying for my stay, i have taken a bank loan, I have joinned a world recognized university and top notched course ..but all in vain :((( Now even I don't have money to complete a degree level course :(

I am curious to know if you have any plans or consideration for the students who have already started this course and currently in the mid-end ??

To be honest, I am really disspointed and don't even know where to go now :(

narenk
Newly Registered

Post by narenk » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanx Rahul for starting this thread this is very useful for all student pursuing in UK at the moment.

Yes it is disappointing but i am still not clear on the new rules, I am now pursuing PG Diploma course not full masters, am i eligible for PSW with this diploma degree? If not this would be highly disappointing as we were not aware of this rule while applying for this course.

Also i have a doubt that if this rule applies for all students who would apply for PSW from march 31 2009 or for only those student who had come after this rule?

praddy
Newly Registered

Post by praddy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:52 pm

I have imagined this thread for so many days, thnx for rahul n naren for kick starting this thread...it is worth havin discussion on this

Like both i have spent years thinking for UK degree to settle with a good job but now my plans took a halt because of this new PSW rules....

Is there any person to contact at home office to clarify our doubts...i think that would be more of help for all students in uk... please advice on this...

chilbuli

Post by chilbuli » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:18 pm

guys there's nuthing which can be done ...as for PSW u guys have been affectd similarly there are many who might be waiting to transfer their PSW to Tier 1(general, previously HSMP) and just because they have changed from bachelors to masters so many who are even earning a handsome amount will be rejected for their qualifications and thus they will hafta cum bak 2 the student status to pursue their masters ...this all is gonna be staying in the system until UK economy is bak on track and most of the british ppl get hold of their jobs and it might take couple of years so i can predict that these changes will not be modified for atleast next few years !

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:36 pm

There is still Tier 2 which is open graduates with a degree.

koolbone

Post by koolbone » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 pm

I understand your frustration. Believe me, a lot of people on this forum are in similar if not worse situations. Alas, this is just an internet forum, a place to attempt to find solutions to our collective problems. The powers that be aren't going to hear any complaints made here.
The UK has been badly hit by the recession and immigrants are feeling the brunt of the Home Office's attempt to safeguard British jobs for British people. We are only immigrants here in their country, that's why they can change immigration laws and policies at the snap of their fingers without any consideration or concession to us. It's sad, but what can we do?

koolbone

Post by koolbone » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:49 pm

PaperPusher wrote:There is still Tier 2 which is open graduates with a degree.

How many employers, in this recession-hit financial times are willing to sponsor immigrants for Tier 2 employment. You make it seem as if it's that straight forward. The PSW was the best bet international students had to getting employment and now, PG Diplomas are no longer acceptable.
Even for Tier 1 General, Bachelors degrees are no longer acceptable, all done at the snap of their fingers.

chilbuli

Post by chilbuli » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:59 pm

just for your kind information even for TIER 2 General they have made very specific to the employers that they hafta advertise the job at job centre for the local british national candidates for atleast 2 weeks and if they dont get any response then they might sponsor a migrant and i dont think so that in this financial crunch employer wont find a local british national qualified person !

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:07 am

Some people doing accredited and recognised diplomas will have the option of doing a couple of months' extra work, and getting awarded a masters instead.

If employers are not willing to sponsor for Tier 2, then I cannot see how it would be easy for everyone to make their way in the UK on Tier 1 PSW. If employers are not hiring, they are not hiring.

That was always the point of the PBS, it could be changed as the economy, demand for workers, or number of UK/EEA graduates and skilled workers changed. In this case the announcement said that due to abuse there would be changes, as well as changes responding to the state of the economy.
The removal of the post graduate certificates and diploma route from Tier 1 (Post Study Work) also responds to evidence of a high level of abuse of these provisions.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

You could argue that the rules could have been changed in some other way, but there would still have been losers.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 am

chilbuli wrote:just for your kind information even for TIER 2 General they have made very specific to the employers that they hafta advertise the job at job centre for the local british national candidates for atleast 2 weeks and if they dont get any response then they might sponsor a migrant and i dont think so that in this financial crunch employer wont find a local british national qualified person !
The employer always had to advertise in any case, for work permits, for Tier 2 before this announcement. The employer had to sign a declaration saying that they do not know a resident worker who could do the job under the old system, it is pretty much the same now. Not much change apart from the medium of advertising has been forced on the employer. And it isn't about finding a "local british national", but a "resident worker", ie British, EU, Indian national with ILR and so on. There has to be no suitable resident worker available before an employer can sponsor someone.

If you feel there would be such problems for people to find an employer, perhaps this is why the bar has been raised for new entrants to the PBS.

Some people who are here already on HSMP/Tier 1 General/IGS/Tier 1PSW have reported that they are struggling to find work, perhaps they wouldn't thank the government for more competition for the jobs they are going for.

If the Tories get in at the next election, they propose a cap, which could effect people differently again. The Conservatives have been proposing a cap on economic migration for years.