ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pls help moderators, wife had breast cancer will she get EC

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kdoshi2005

Pls help moderators, wife had breast cancer will she get EC

Post by kdoshi2005 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:32 pm

I have recently come to uk under hsmp and want to apply for my wifes EC she had Breast Cancer last year and has completed her treatment, will she have any problem in EC or in entering UK, please advise urgent

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:28 pm

Let's put it this way, there are no medical questions on the VAF1 application form, so the medical condition will not make any difference to whether the visa is granted or not.

On arrival in the UK she might be sent for a medical on arrival, in particular a Chest XRay might be taken, but if she has such an xray before she starts the journey and carries the result with her, even that will probably not happen.

Even if medical needed it would be rare for the person to be refused entry simply on medical grounds, unless of course their condition might be an imminent threat to others.

In short, there is no particular reason for you to worry about your wife's condition. And as soon as she does arrive in the UK she would be entitled to treatment under the NHS.
John

kdoshi2005

Post by kdoshi2005 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:19 pm

Dear John
Thanks a lot for your reply which is quite comforting.

I am worried about the following.

1. Though my wife does not have communicable disease and though she is no threat to public at large, can she be considered as a potential liability on the NHS and refused entry ?

2. If after she comes to UK and goes to the GP or NHS for registration can she be refused to be registered due to her medical condition being a liability on the NHS funds ?
Please Reply
Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:24 pm

As you say, your wife does not have a communicable disease. As such she is no medical threat to anyone else, compared for example to someone with TB.

As regards "If after she comes to UK and goes to the GP or NHS for registration can she be refused to be registered due to her medical condition being a liability on the NHS funds ?", do appreciate that GPs are technically self-employed and as such, in the first instance, they can refuse to accept a particular person as a patient on the GP list, without needing to give any reason. However where someone is unable to find a GPs practice to accept them then the local NHS body, I think now the Primary Care Trust, will allocate them to a GPs practice.

In other words, everyone entitled to be registered with the NHS is effectively guaranteed a place on a GPs list, but not necessarily a place at their preferred GPs practice.

Why do GPs practices sometimes decline to accept a patient? No doubt that does sometimes happen for medical or age reasons but also it can happen simply because of a person's address .... outside that GPs preferred area of working, or even people living on a very "difficult" estate.

Hope it all works out.
John

kdoshi2005

Post by kdoshi2005 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:11 pm

Dear John

In medical terms she has completed her treatment and has fully recovered, hope the GP registration is not a problem.
Your views
Thanks

dhavaluk
Member of Standing

Post by dhavaluk » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:18 am

John wrote:On arrival in the UK she might be sent for a medical on arrival, in particular a Chest XRay might be taken, but if she has such an xray before she starts the journey and carries the result with her, even that will probably not happen.

In short, there is no particular reason for you to worry about your wife's condition. And as soon as she does arrive in the UK she would be entitled to treatment under the NHS.
Dear John,

I have two questions,

First form your first para above, If we are sent for X-ray on arrival in UK< are we charged for the same? i mean do we have to bear the cost of X-ray, etc. or its done by the airport/immigration/health authorities, who send us for it? and

Second regarding the NHS, Suppose if i am earning adn my wife is housewife and i have a kid. Can i register all three of us for NHS? and whether its considered as a Government Funds?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:44 am

Using your numbering :-
  1. If sent for a Chest XRay there will be no charge. The cost is borne by the UK Government. It is the immigration officer, examining passports and visas, who decides whether to send the person for a medical, or not. Any examination will be done at the airport. Heathrow has a proper medical facility, other airports do not, and so a doctor would need to be called in (rare).
  2. Anyone in the UK on a work-type visa, a Work Permit or HSMP, is entitled to use the NHS. The same applies to their family here on Dependent visas. Doing so does not breach the "No recourse to Public Funds" visa restrction. The reason is clear. The "Public Funds" definition is a limited list of benefits and certainly does not include the NHS.
John

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:19 am

and don't forget, NHS is one of the biggest joke in Britian

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:01 am

Last night's Panorama programme on BBC1 highlighted how bad things can go wrong in the NHS.

Nevertheless most people in the UK recognise that they would be far worse off if the NHS did not exist. Like the nursery rhyme ...... "when she is good she is very very good, and when she is bad she is horrid" .... that is, it normally works well but certainly has areas that can be improved substantially.
John

dhavaluk
Member of Standing

Post by dhavaluk » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:57 pm

Thanks John,

Thank you very much for making both of the points clear. Can u pelase explain me with an example how and why people consideres it as a bad or worse thing? I know in India also we have general hospitals, where usaully poor people go as the service is very poor, the staff is too arrogant, very low level of cleanliness, etc. but still there are certain facilities which are unmatchable with the best private facilties. And the poors who go there, don't always die.

So, i think the NHS would be definitely better and if not, at elast as good as our General Hospitals.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:14 pm

So, i think the NHS would be definitely better and if not, at elast as good as our General Hospitals. <== all i would say is experience it yourself and then decide.

i had a boil on my leg about 4 yrs back and the doctor sent to the Accident and Emergency ward of the hospital, waited there 7 hrs in pain in the lobby.. wooden seats with dividers where you cannot even lie down... but nobody cared, finally came back home and tried some traditional medicine and thank god I was cured..

2 months back my baby was down with fever and had constant loose motion.. here everything works by appointment system... called up the doctor and was told that i can get an appointment the next week unless it's an emergency.....

Man I would pray nobody falls sick in this country

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:33 pm

Olisun, vote with your feet .... find a different GPs practice!

Our GPs practice also works on an appointment system, but you can always get an appointment to see a doctor within 2 or 3 hours, as long as you don't mind which doctor you see.

Generally speaking the larger number of GPs in that practice the better. The worst for appointments tend to be Sole Practitioners.
John

dhavaluk
Member of Standing

Post by dhavaluk » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:34 pm

Thanx Olisum,

I think in this case, i would at elast say that our GEneral Hospitals are far better and humanitarian staff is there in comparision with NHS.

You are right, lets all pray that Nobody falls seek in that cuntry

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:37 pm

as someone trying to come from America who is 28 and hasnt had health insurance for 5 years now, be thankful for the NHS. Ive used the NHS in the past both for myself and once when i had to take (then) bf to the hospital and the whole process was quite straightforward and I didnt ever have to worry about getting sick or getting in an accident where the hospital bills would push me into bankruptcy before my life has even begun. Yes, it can be bad, weve all heard the horror stories, but as a public service, its something to be admired, in its own way.

dhavaluk
Member of Standing

Post by dhavaluk » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:47 am

thanx guys,

SO, NHS has now 2 over 1 vote to win. From both, John and amhilde, of yours posts, it seems more clear that, NHS is not at all a worse or worst service. Its always expected to have some bad experiences, that can even happen where you are paying full for your tratment, the doctors may even trat u badly.

Especially as amhilde has compared it with the sityuation in USA, i must and why only I, everyone must admire the service of NHS. There is no doubt that to provide free medical service to the spociety is a great humanity, which is British Govt. is doing.

Three cheers for NHS......

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:36 pm

the medicines don't come free... :-)