ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU-partner and job seeker allowance

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wpleo

EU-partner and job seeker allowance

Post by wpleo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 pm

Hello folks,

Just needed a quick advice with regard to national insurance number and job seeker allowance.

If your eu-partner currently looking for a job, and still to apply for national insurance number as never held a job in the UK, can your eu-partner claim for job seeker allowance, and would that affect your future ILR application as your living together at the same address? or would it be possible to apply for national insurance number without caliming any benefits while still looking for a job?

I would appreciate your help answering these queries...

shandave2001

Post by shandave2001 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:10 pm

More than one question. Could u wirte ur questions clearly.

Could u clarify if the partner of EU is non EU? If yes, on what visa? Whether JSA will affect on PR application of whom?

Why not be clear and tell ur nationality, on which visa u r in UK. Then ur partner's nationality, on which visa s/he is in UK? Then u go for questions.

I think ur first question is whether an EEA national who has recently arrived in UK, has not started work yet, could s/he can claim JSA. No, s/he cannot even though s/he is EEA national. There is certain period which must have passed in employment before an EEA national can claim H.benefite etc. I think this period is 6 months, but lets reconfirm. However, I am sure that is not the case, one just arrive from from France and straight to DWP or locla coulcil for benefit.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:16 pm

shandave2001 wrote:Could u wirte ur questions clearly.
lol.

shandave2001

Post by shandave2001 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:15 pm

What do you mean benifa?

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:55 pm

EEA should work for atleast 12 months then only they claim housing benefits otherwise everybody gonna come here and start claiming

wpleo

Post by wpleo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:20 am

Many thanks for all your replies
yasa wrote:EEA should work for atleast 12 months then only they claim housing benefits otherwise everybody gonna come here and start claiming
That is correct, as I had this clarifed with Jobcentreplus, and you are right, the EEA should have worked for a period of time, at least 12 months before they can claim any benefits/job seeker allownce etc, as this should be based on previous contribution etc...

Again, many thanks to you all