ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Master's Degree necessary for Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

waqas_punjabian
Newly Registered

Is Master's Degree necessary for Tier 1

Post by waqas_punjabian » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me if it is essential to have a MASTER's DEGREE and A SALARY of minimum 20,000 GBP per year to apply for Tier 1(General)?

I have a Bachelor of Computer Science(Honors) degree. Can I apply for Tier-1 (General)?

I have never been in UK. And want to apply for immigration as an employee. Is their some other way out, if I am unable to apply for Tier-1?

regards,
Waqas

mitrkk

Re: Is Master's Degree necessary for Tier 1

Post by mitrkk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:18 pm

waqas_punjabian wrote:Hi all,

Can anybody tell me if it is essential to have a MASTER's DEGREE and A SALARY of minimum 20,000 GBP per year to apply for Tier 1(General)?

I have a Bachelor of Computer Science(Honors) degree. Can I apply for Tier-1 (General)?

I have never been in UK. And want to apply for immigration as an employee. Is their some other way out, if I am unable to apply for Tier-1?

regards,
Waqas
I beleive the Masters degree is mandatory for Tier 1 from April 1st

waqas_punjabian
Newly Registered

Post by waqas_punjabian » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:29 pm

:( :( :(

It means I cannot apply.

Is their, some way, other than Tier-1?

jerrin

Post by jerrin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:38 pm

it is not mandatory to have Masters. But must have earned more than GBP 20,000. And your total points in the attribute section must be above 75 points.

The catch here is, you wont get any points for your Bachelors degree and your need find points in other sections.

nksg

Post by nksg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 pm

The New T1 rules came on affect from 1st April...

You are not eligible for T1 i am afraid but you can always look for a sponsorer for T2. Please refer to bia website for details....

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:40 pm

waqas_punjabian wrote::( :( :(

It means I cannot apply.

dear waqas, which in which country did you study? in the current rule even if some one has masters from some countries such as (bangladesh, pakistan ,india etc..) will not qualify for Tier 1. because most of the master degree (almost 95%) from most of the institutons in bangladesh, pakistan, india etc.. is not equavaent to UK masters degree so the point for qualification is 0. its really scary for the applicants who was palllning to apply for Tier 1 from those countires. but who knows , rules may be changed in future!!

T_mahmood
Member of Standing

Post by T_mahmood » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:41 pm

I am afraid that minimum educational requirement for new applicant, from is 1st April Masters (UK level) and earning GBP 20000.
Thinking low is crime....

nksg

Post by nksg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:50 pm

jerrin, how can you say masters is not mandetory...

You need 75 poitns and i dont think its possible without qualification points (minimum threshold is masters)..

Just imagine some one getting max points for all other categories does not add to 75... see below:

Age (Max): 20
Salary (Max) : 45
UK experiance : 5 (not for people who have never visited UK)

It totals to 70...

so you still need points for qualification and minimum points are for masters (35). you dont get any points for any degree under masters... i.e bachelors..
jerrin wrote:it is not mandatory to have Masters. But must have earned more than GBP 20,000. And your total points in the attribute section must be above 75 points.

The catch here is, you wont get any points for your Bachelors degree and your need find points in other sections.

waqas_punjabian
Newly Registered

Post by waqas_punjabian » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:56 pm

nksg, thanks for the explanation.

You are right.

Guys here's a link which describes these horrible changes that disqualify me :(

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... dtier1form

nksg

Post by nksg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Neonlight your stats of "almost 95%" does not apply for India.. as i have seen most of the (almost all) Indian institutes are on the calculator.. i would say just 1% of indian institutes might not be on the UKBA calculator.. not sure on Pakistan and BD...
nionlight wrote:

It means I cannot apply.

dear waqas, which in which country did you study? in the current rule even if some one has masters from some countries such as (bangladesh, pakistan ,india etc..) will not qualify for Tier 1. because most of the master degree (almost 95%) from most of the institutons in bangladesh, pakistan, india etc.. is not equavaent to UK masters degree so the point for qualification is 0. its really scary for the applicants who was palllning to apply for Tier 1 from those countires. but who knows , rules may be changed in future!!

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:12 pm

nksg wrote:Neonlight your stats of "almost 95%" does not apply for India.. as i have seen most of the (almost all) Indian institutes are on the calculator.. i would say just 1% of indian institutes might not be on the UKBA calculator.. not sure on Pakistan and BD...
nionlight wrote:

It means I cannot apply.

hello nk, did you check the points by chosing master degree completed from indian instituions in the point calculator? the name of the instituion being in the point calculator actually doesnt mean it is equvalent. most of the names of the instituions are in the point calculator but are not equavalent to uk master degree. i personally checked some pakistan and bangladesh instituions and most of them got 0 points for master degree. dont know yet about indian instituions.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Im afraid tier1 maybe out of your reach at this point in time.

The maximum points available for earnings is 45 points and for age 20points. If u get 0pts for qualification and 0pts for UK experience then that leaves you short of 10points to be eligible. However you may be able to come in through other means. Probably best to come in first of all as a visitor to study the system and possibly make a few contacts and see where it goes from there.

jerrin

Post by jerrin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Yes I meant the same. You cant achieve it without a good qualification. But still I would like to say, Masters is not mandatory for Tier-1. :D

nksg

Post by nksg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Great stuf.. people would love to know how??
may be you can bring a revolution....

aah.. PHD is an option.. but i dont think PHD is possible without masters.. unless some uni decides to award you the same based on your work...
jerrin wrote:Yes I meant the same. You cant achieve it without a good qualification. But still I would like to say, Masters is not mandatory for Tier-1. :D

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Your (and for any one from Subcontinant) best way is to come here on study visa. Do your master and move to Tier 1. UK education is always plus point in job search.
Two questions:Have you done your complete research on moving to UK? Have you compared UK with other potential countries to move e.g USA, Austrilia, Canada etc
UK does not need immigrants. Its small over populated country. Government is trying hard to stop immigrants. Not in near future but in 4/5 years time they may break the link between people come here to work and UK citizenship. (There are strong evidences that this thought is present in few government and many opposition minds and if they can not control immigration than they have to do it). They want to get benifits from hard working immigrants but do not want to give them any right.

maheshnair
BANNED

Post by maheshnair » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:38 pm

waqas_punjabian wrote:nksg, thanks for the explanation.

You are right.

wasqas ......... looks like u just got up from sleep ....

read the forum ..all guys were running to apply before 30th . before 30th u needed only bachelors ..

anyway dont worry ....u can come on tier2 ...

maheshnair
BANNED

Post by maheshnair » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:40 pm

jerrin wrote:Yes I meant the same. You cant achieve it without a good qualification. But still I would like to say, Masters is not mandatory for Tier-1. :D

are you a joker or something ....
this is not place for comedy

jerrin

Post by jerrin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:13 am

Sorry guys. I didnt joke. As per the rule, 3 mandatory things are

1. 75 points in Attribute section.
2. must have english skills and must score 10 points under this section
3. and must have maintenance funds and must score 10 points under this section.

What I meant was and the immigration rule is, You just need to show 75 points in attributes section anyhow. It is not required to claim points under qualification. Effectively even if you dont have a qualification and can show 75 points in other categories, you will qualify.

Since now you DONT get points for your Bachelors Degree, that is 0 points, you can not be successful with points in other categories. So now you NEED Masters to show 75 points.

I just wanted to give you a message, You can qualify even if you dont score points in one section under attributes and can show 75 points in total.

Sorry guys if that made ambiguity.

Double
Newly Registered

Post by Double » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:49 am

So in english ... you need 75 points, part of which must be attributable to a recognised masters degree.

Hopefully the Home Office will reconsider this once the economy recovers, but who knows when that might be .... another year or two???

waqas_punjabian
Newly Registered

Post by waqas_punjabian » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:18 am

maheshnair,

Thanks for the encouragement, I was really disappointed. And you may say, it was my bad luck that I just found you people after 1st April.

Anyways, I've figured out that for Tier-2, i need some sponsorship (that I don't have yet). Can you tell me, how can I find some?

regards,
Waqas

maheshnair wrote:
waqas_punjabian wrote:nksg, thanks for the explanation.

You are right.

wasqas ......... looks like u just got up from sleep ....

read the forum ..all guys were running to apply before 30th . before 30th u needed only bachelors ..

anyway dont worry ....u can come on tier2 ...