ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No calls in March month

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

T1_Mainframe

No calls in March month

Post by T1_Mainframe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:44 am

Dear all,

As subject line suggests: I moved to UK in Feb end and have been searching job since then. I have hardly recieved any calls from Consultant or employer, there were only two three calls for enquiring if I know this or that. I am in Testing and Dev of Mainframe based applications and have more than 7 years exp.

Is IT market totally dead or there are no jobs for Testing/Mainframe folks? Can others please share their experience so that all of us know how we are positioned?

Thanks,
T1_MF

custodian

Post by custodian » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 pm

I got a job (early March) but still had my CV sitting on monster.

I got about 4 calls in the last 3 weeks about various opportunities around London. One of the agents was really gutted to hear that I'm employed as the role he had was fiting my profile like a glove. I literally had to pull-down my CV from monster two days ago to stop getting calls from agents.

Saying that - the market is extremely tough - but not dead.

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I know you got the job last month, after one month's struggle. But such numbers on this forum after only few. My attempt was to get IT folks to respond who are in Dev and Testing of Mainframe based applications.

worldpeace

Job search in UK

Post by worldpeace » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi all,
I would like to share my job search process. I came to UK on 6th Jan 09, got very few calls throughout Jan. But as Feb started I started getting few calls. Luckily things materialized for an interview that I faced on 9th Feb, and I got my offer letter on 16th Feb, joined on 23rd Feb.
My CV is still on many job portals, and I am getting abt 5 to 8 calls from agents, who tell abt good opportunities. My mailbox is bveing flooded by their emails.
I guess it all depends in few factors:
1. Domain and competency (Latest and in demand technologies)
2. Flexibility ( helps in being proficient in 2 or more technologies)
3. Previous UK experience
4. Luck and Confidence :)
Hope good luck comes to all aspirants soon.
Best regards.

ramesh1

mainframes?

Post by ramesh1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:27 am

Custodian and worldpeace Are you guys from mainframe background?
If so then it is good to know that you guys are able to get calls and land on a job as i am also from mainframe PS and Development area.

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:46 pm

I am from databases background. basically Oracle. But I also improved my SQLServer skills to expand my area of search.

May be you can try including some other lighter technologies related with your basic one, to your domain by just a fast crash course and including them in your resume with a familiarity tag. Few companies do give training also.

Good luck to all.

myjobprobs1
Newly Registered

Post by myjobprobs1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 pm

I think the market isn't good overall for Mainframe in UK but that doesn't mean that there are no jobs at all.

I also had a bad time when I came first to UK, it took me several months to get the first job(some mistake on my part as initially I wasn't ready to work as a contractor).

Also what I noticed is that lot of openings don't get advertised. Like in the company I work at present I saw three new people joining but none of the job had been advertised. All of them had previously worked for the company so the company told the agency we want these people and here they are next day.

What I would say is keep applying, work on your CV and also do a good followup with the consultants as they are the entry points.