ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK job search & offer from home country

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

suds19

UK job search & offer from home country

Post by suds19 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:13 am

Friends,

I'm able to land a job in UK while in India :) . I would like to share my experience & strategy here -

- After I got my Tier-1 visa on 8th Jan, I uploaded my CV in about 20 jobsites, sent my CV to few reputed agencies and to few contacts through linkedin. Also sent to 1-2 agencies listing jobs in Indian jobsite naukri.com having job location UK.
- I had prior UK experience of 13 months back in 2006-07 which I highlighted in cover letter.
- My cover letter & CV had a link to my linkedin profile where I have got some nice recommendations. Also I was able to secure two excellent references of my previous UK customers.
- For 2 weeks in middle of January I religiously applied to jobs posted in all jobsites relevant to my skillset. I used indeed.co.uk which collates from all other sites.
- I got around 1 response every other day (on my Indian phone ofcourse). Apart from calls there was atleast 1 mail everyday. There weren't any fake calls (nobody will make a fake call to India :wink:). Most of the responses were interested to know whether I can come down to UK to attend a F2F interview. And some were contract positions (which I was more inclined for), but they wanted immediate start.
- Two agencies came back that client is ok with telephonic interviews only. These were for perm roles. One of them had an initial non-technical interview on 2nd Feb but it didn't materialize and the second one had a technical, a non-technical and a hr interview span over 3 weeks and finally after another 3 weeks yesterday they finally sent me offer letter.

I hope this post gives some motivation to people already there in UK hunting for jobs and those in India playing wait&watch game.

But at the same time I wouldn't like to give any false hopes as in last 2 weeks I have seen number of jobs posted on jobsites have gone down drastically (atleast for my skillset) in comparison to jobs posted in month of January.

Skillset - Oracle Business Intelligence
Experience - 8-1/2 years
Offered Job Role - Business Intelligence Architect
EC granted from - 15-JAN-09

custodian

Post by custodian » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:34 am

Congratulations mate...

To point out the positive point of your profile.
8.5 yrs of experience ... in Business Intelligence with Oracle.

its a skill which is specific and if at all there is a job vacancy - only the most experienced and skilled people are chosen first. Your profile definitely sounds to be of a senior / architect level.
Great going !!!

I work with BI using Actuate. I only have 2 yrs of experience in BI but an overall 5 yrs of IT experience. I would definitely struggle for such positions where extensive BI experience is required.

Looking at the current market situation - you should consider yourself extremely lucky.... (go by yourself a lotto ticket ... I'm sure you'll have a wining combination....:lol: )

:)

shammi
Newly Registered

Post by shammi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi Suds,
Really encouraging to see your message. Can you please give the format pf CV that you used if you think it makes any difference. From other posts on the forum I read somewhere that someone improved CV format and that helped.
And one more query although seems too early to ask but have you thought about what to do about Masters requirement after expiry of your curent tier 1
validity assuming this requirement remains after 3 years and you are not having it right now.

regards
Shammi

h_s_m_p

Post by h_s_m_p » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:36 am

Shammi,

suds19 won't be having any problem after 3 years even if he don't have a master degree because his EC was granted before the new rules which is going to be applied from April 2009. He will be validated based on the old rules during his extension.

friend_333

CONGRATS

Post by friend_333 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:46 am

Congrats suds19

Great job!

Best of luck .

suds19

Post by suds19 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:18 am

Yes Shammi, as h_s_m_p pointed out, I shouldn't have any problem with extension because my current EC is granted under rules valid till 30-Mar-09.
Though for my personal academic interest, I plan to do a part-time Masters while in UK in my relevant subject-area.

Only issue with extension would be I'll need two extensions before I can file for ILR because of current 3 months delay in EC start date and entering UK date. I'll also not get any points for Age in my second extension for my particular scenario where I got 5 in my initial application.

Current update is I'll start in the UK job from mid April. Right now serving notice period in India.

Thanks to all for their wishes! And wishing same to all job searchers.

shammi
Newly Registered

Post by shammi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi Suds,
I have got my visa starting from 23-Mar-2009 till 2012. But seeing the Job scenario I guess(sadly) it might be much more than 3 months before I move to UK (if at all it happens) then would you think I might have some other issues other than that you pointed out regarding ILR. Basically would there be any problem if I have to delay by travel to UK by prolonged time.
And would I also be evaluated under same guidelines as yourself as my visa is also granted before 31st Mar 2009.

best regarda
Shammi

shammi
Newly Registered

Post by shammi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi Suds,
I have got my visa starting from 23-Mar-2009 till 2012. But seeing the Job scenario I guess(sadly) it might be much more than 3 months before I move to UK (if at all it happens) then would you think I might have some other issues other than that you pointed out regarding ILR. Basically would there be any problem if I have to delay my travel to UK by prolonged time.
And would I also be evaluated under same guidelines as yourself as my visa is also granted before 31st Mar 2009.

best regarda
Shammi

suds19

Post by suds19 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 am

shammi wrote:then would you think I might have some other issues other than that you pointed out regarding ILR.
Nope
shammi wrote:Basically would there be any problem if I have to delay my travel to UK by prolonged time.
No
shammi wrote:And would I also be evaluated under same guidelines as yourself as my visa is also granted before 31st Mar 2009.
Yes

shammi
Newly Registered

Post by shammi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks Suds19.. thats really comforting in these torrid times...

sam_1
Newly Registered

Re: UK job search & offer from home country

Post by sam_1 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:02 am

suds19 wrote:Friends,

I'm able to land a job in UK while in India :) . I would like to share my experience & strategy here -

- After I got my Tier-1 visa on 8th Jan, I uploaded my CV in about 20 jobsites, sent my CV to few reputed agencies and to few contacts through linkedin. Also sent to 1-2 agencies listing jobs in Indian jobsite naukri.com having job location UK.
- I had prior UK experience of 13 months back in 2006-07 which I highlighted in cover letter.
- My cover letter & CV had a link to my linkedin profile where I have got some nice recommendations. Also I was able to secure two excellent references of my previous UK customers.
- For 2 weeks in middle of January I religiously applied to jobs posted in all jobsites relevant to my skillset. I used indeed.co.uk which collates from all other sites.
- I got around 1 response every other day (on my Indian phone ofcourse). Apart from calls there was atleast 1 mail everyday. There weren't any fake calls (nobody will make a fake call to India :wink:). Most of the responses were interested to know whether I can come down to UK to attend a F2F interview. And some were contract positions (which I was more inclined for), but they wanted immediate start.
- Two agencies came back that client is ok with telephonic interviews only. These were for perm roles. One of them had an initial non-technical interview on 2nd Feb but it didn't materialize and the second one had a technical, a non-technical and a hr interview span over 3 weeks and finally after another 3 weeks yesterday they finally sent me offer letter.

I hope this post gives some motivation to people already there in UK hunting for jobs and those in India playing wait&watch game.

But at the same time I wouldn't like to give any false hopes as in last 2 weeks I have seen number of jobs posted on jobsites have gone down drastically (atleast for my skillset) in comparison to jobs posted in month of January.

Skillset - Oracle Business Intelligence
Experience - 8-1/2 years
Offered Job Role - Business Intelligence Architect
EC granted from - 15-JAN-09

Firstly I want to congratulate u for getting jon in UK setting at India.
Can u please pm me list of agencies u have applied.
How reliable some indian agencies for contracting .I got one such dnt know whether to realy or not I have got my HSMP 2 weeks but most of UK consultant want me to go there for interview and some want immediate start.Please forward me list of consultant who can arrange for telephonic interview.

suds19

Re: UK job search & offer from home country

Post by suds19 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:52 pm

sam_1 wrote: Firstly I want to congratulate u for getting jon in UK setting at India.
Can u please pm me list of agencies u have applied.
How reliable some indian agencies for contracting .I got one such dnt know whether to realy or not I have got my HSMP 2 weeks but most of UK consultant want me to go there for interview and some want immediate start.Please forward me list of consultant who can arrange for telephonic interview.
1. You can search in indeed.co.uk and register your CV in atleast 10 UK jobsites. It would be worthwhile to see how many search results you get in indeed.co.uk.

2. Build a good profile in linkedin and get some recommendations there preferable from US/Europe customers.

3. For CV template, visit iProfile.

Cheers
Suds

sajan.chandran

Post by sajan.chandran » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:28 am

Hi Suds,

Could you please send your resume which you used to apply for UK jobs to my email id sajan.chandran@gmail.com.
So that i can use your resume format.

Thank you very much,
Sajan Chandran
91-9840031179.

suds19

Post by suds19 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:49 pm

sajan.chandran wrote:Hi Suds,

Could you please send your resume which you used to apply for UK jobs to my email id sajan.chandran@gmail.com.
So that i can use your resume format.

Thank you very much,
Sajan Chandran
91-9840031179.
Use the template at iProfile