ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing Benefit And ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sabeeh
Newly Registered

Housing Benefit And ILR

Post by sabeeh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi every one
i start from begning.i maried with my wife about nearly 2 year ago.soon after i got setlement visa i came in uk and after getting NI number i started full time job but my bad luck caz of recesion i lost my job and still strugling for job but no job.
now we have a 4 month old baby boy.other thing my wife started getting housing benefit,income suport and child tax credit and child benefit caz it was our last option.still i am looking for job and when ever i will get i wana stop all my wife benefit.
my Q is wil it afect on my ilr?evevn it was our last option.
many thanks in advance

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:01 pm

If your wife is a British citizen, then she is legally entitled to claim such benefits in her own right.

However I am afraid her claiming her benfits is going to seriously affect your ILR application. There is a good chance that it can be refused if you can not show that you can support your family without claiming benfits.

I would strongly urge you to find job asap, and to find someway of supporting your family untill such time your ILR is granted.

Claiming benfits as a last resort does not preclude you from falling foul of the immigration legislation.
Good luck in your matter and I wish you a succesful outcome in your case.

owais210
Newly Registered

Post by owais210 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi Sabeeh,

Have you considered looking around for work in other cities....

I am sure if you have access to internet then you would have looked around... but an option is, you can stop the benefits as soon as you get the job. She is entitled to child tax credit and child benefit if she applies herself, this should not be an issue however, other benefits are serious problem for ILR.
Do any small job you can, go to market stalls etc
I believe in positivity, and to be honest, if you are hard working there is always work out there for those who are willing. I hope and pray you do get luck.

AncientAlien

Re: Housing Benefit And ILR

Post by AncientAlien » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:01 pm

sabeeh wrote:Hi every one
i start from begning.i maried with my wife about nearly 2 year ago.soon after i got setlement visa i came in uk and after getting NI number i started full time job but my bad luck caz of recesion i lost my job and still strugling for job but no job.
now we have a 4 month old baby boy.other thing my wife started getting housing benefit,income suport and child tax credit and child benefit caz it was our last option.still i am looking for job and when ever i will get i wana stop all my wife benefit.
my Q is wil it afect on my ilr?evevn it was our last option.
many thanks in advance

Hi Good people

I know some us us are struggling with finances and some can't even get a job until they get a decision with their passports from the HO. Therefore, it is EXPENSIVE calling those 0870/0845xxxxxxxxx numbers that the Home office generally provides.
Don't give up, now you can call Home Office for free, just check out www.saynoto0870.com and you will be provided with a local 0208/0151/0161xxxxxx number where you can contact HO for FREE! The actual number is 01516725626. (But log on to www.saynoto0870.com and confirm for yourself)
Especially if you have a pay monthly home or mobile telephone contract. You can still call from a pay as you go mobile but the charge rate will be like you are calling your neighbour next door on any 0208xxxxxxxx number.
Good luck Razz (Please share with others if it works for you!)
“Whoever may be guilty of abuse of power, be it Government, State, Employer, Trade Union or whoever, the law must provide a speedy remedy. Otherwise the victims will find their own remedy.”-Lord Denning

prettypolitical

Same here!!! Well sort of!!

Post by prettypolitical » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:36 pm

I am a British citizen, to cut a long story short, part of my husbands settlement visa was refused on the grounds that they do not think I can financially support him(although I did beofre he left the country and am continuing to do so while he is in his country of origin). I receive child tax and working tax credits as I am a part time worker and get 700GBP per month and it is topped up with the CT and WT, I did try to cancel the claim but they advised that I was legally entitled to this money and they refused to cancel the claim.

Its very difficult! but it may affect ILR.

Best of luck though!
???REUNITED???

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:26 am

prettypolitical, you are not required to support him. It "merely" needs to be shown that he will not need to claim certain Public Funds.

Of course when he comes to the UK on his spouse visa, he is entitled to work, and when he does start earning, the current claims to benefits are likely to reduce, not increase.

If you have not already done so, do appeal against the refusal.
John

Nazz

Post by Nazz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:35 am

I thought after reading the post (Benefits: affecting ILR? Read this b4 starting new topic.), that sabeeh's wife can claim Benefits under her name, so how it can effect his ILR application?

The advice that was given to him that it may effect his future application.

Batley khan wrote:
If your wife is a British citizen, then she is legally entitled to claim such benefits in her own right.

However I am afraid her claiming her benefits is going to seriously affect your ILR application. There is a good chance that it can be refused if you can not show that you can support your family without claiming benefits.

Can someone shed some light on this matter as it contradicts the sticky post.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:35 pm

However I am afraid her claiming her benefits is going to seriously affect your ILR application. There is a good chance that it can be refused if you can not show that you can support your family without claiming benefits.
Your evidence of that? No doubt you have looked at paras 6A and 6B of the immigration rules? If so, please post your technical analysis.

You seem to be equating "benefits" and "Public Funds" but that of course is a very wrong thing to do.
John