ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent Visa Maintenance Fund

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Chill mate. You are now armed with an email from UKBA. So if they decide against the application you can always flip out the trump card. Although for your comfort I have pulled out the following from Immigration Rules:
(e) Where the Relevant Points Based System Migrant is applying for entry clearance or leave to remain at the same time as the applicant, the amount of funds available to the applicant must be in addition to the level of funds required separately of the Relevant Points Based System Migrant.
The guidance note does specifically mention about the need for the main applicant to have maintenance funds in addition to the dependents only in the case the dependents apply along with the main applicant (this seems reasonable and is obvious as such). By deduction, it seems, that if that were not the case the main applicant does not have to provide evidence of sufficient funds for himself (although it runs contrary to my earlier quote from another section of the UKBA website.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:35 pm

push_hsmp wrote:Chill mate. You are now armed with an email from UKBA. So if they decide against the application you can always flip out the trump card. Although for your comfort I have pulled out the following from Immigration Rules:
(e) Where the Relevant Points Based System Migrant is applying for entry clearance or leave to remain at the same time as the applicant, the amount of funds available to the applicant must be in addition to the level of funds required separately of the Relevant Points Based System Migrant.
The guidance note does specifically mention about the need for the main applicant to have maintenance funds in addition to the dependents only in the case the dependents apply along with the main applicant (this seems reasonable and is obvious as such). By deduction, it seems, that if that were not the case the main applicant does not have to provide evidence of sufficient funds for himself (although it runs contrary to my earlier quote from another section of the UKBA website.
Guruji -

"e) Where the Relevant Points Based System Migrant is applying for entry clearance or leave to remain at the same time as the applicant, the amount of funds available to the applicant must be in addition to the level of funds required separately of the Relevant Points Based System Migrant"

We are not applying at the same time. Henceforth, I dont believe that applies to me/us

ADDING ONTO THAT --

"a) Where the Relevant Points Based System Migrant to whom the application is connected is outside the UK, or has been in the UK for a period of less than 12 months, there must be £1,600 in funds."

I BELIEVE point a IS WHAT APLIES TO MOST OF US.

Thanks,
R

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Before giving that kneejerk reaction atleast see what I have written. Go through my post again and try to understand what it means.

Nobody here is raising a question about GBP1600 v/s GBP 533 issue here. We are very well clear on that for long.

The question is, does the main applicant has to prove availability of maintenance of funds for himself too when after getting his own approval he/she is applying for his dependents.
regards,
push

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:56 pm

push_hsmp wrote:Before giving that kneejerk reaction atleast see what I have written. Go through my post again and try to understand what it means.

Nobody here is raising a question about GBP1600 v/s GBP 533 issue here. We are very well clear on that for long.

The question is, does the main applicant has to prove availability of maintenance of funds for himself too when after getting his own approval he/she is applying for his dependents.
I apologies if that made u go bananas. I dint mean to, for real.

May be i interpreted that incorrectly. Reason I pointed that was to prove that it didnt mention anything about having to show funds for Dependent as well as Visa holder.

As I understand correctly - we are good (considering the guideline we just shared is Correct) with 1600 Pounds to show as maintanance funds for our dependent. Where by, some other post on the same website cotridicts with that, as you quoted.

I wish there would have been a lot easier laid out rules and for sure, someone to clarify when needed

Yet again - No Offense taken nor Given

x

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:23 am

I would still urge you to read what I have said especially the sentence starting with "By deduction".

I dont take offence of the posts made here because I believe this is not a place to be sarcastic or to play rustic tomfoolery.

If you still have doubts then may be you would like to explain the following from Part 7 of the PBS Tier-1 (main applicant's form -appendix-1):
You must have a minimum level of funds to score 10 points for your level of funds. If you do not score 10 points your application will be refused. You must have £2,800 available funds for yourself plus £1,600 for each dependant accompanying you or intending to join you in the United Kingdom within 12 months of your arrival in the United Kingdom
Although the form pertains to main applicats only but the underlined section above clearly mentions that even if the dependents were to join the main applicant separately but within 12 months then the main applicant has to show GBP 2800 (for himself) and GBP 1600 (for the dependants). This shows the uderlying principle atleast. I agree that there is discrepency in info available on this issue and I have sought to highlight the same.
regards,
push

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:41 am

push_hsmp wrote:I would still urge you to read what I have said especially the sentence starting with "By deduction".

I dont take offence of the posts made here because I believe this is not a place to be sarcastic or to play rustic tomfoolery.

If you still have doubts then may be you would like to explain the following from Part 7 of the PBS Tier-1 (main applicant's form -appendix-1):
You must have a minimum level of funds to score 10 points for your level of funds. If you do not score 10 points your application will be refused. You must have £2,800 available funds for yourself plus £1,600 for each dependant accompanying you or intending to join you in the United Kingdom within 12 months of your arrival in the United Kingdom
Although the form pertains to main applicats only but the underlined section above clearly mentions that even if the dependents were to join the main applicant separately but within 12 months then the main applicant has to show GBP 2800 (for himself) and GBP 1600 (for the dependants). This shows the uderlying principle atleast. I agree that there is discrepency in info available on this issue and I have sought to highlight the same.
Okay - Let me buy the fact that you may be by far superior with all this matter. I yet again apologies if you found my post offending. I honestly didnt mean to. Also, I was neither being sarcarstic nor being a twat.

About Part 7 in the VAF form 9, I believed for a dependent to apply from outside uk (once a partner has valid TIER - 1 Visa) VAF 10 needed to be filled.

This in itself is a very confusing. for me its like catch 22 where we can not just draw to a conclusion. I guess, I shall saddle my horse for the day. I am loosing intrest in Wrestlemania :roll:

x

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jedi001 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:05 am

push_hsmp wrote:I would still urge you to read what I have said especially the sentence starting with "By deduction".

Thank you to everyone for posting your valuable views, Amit0277 and I are in the same boat. I guess if you are applying after 6 months of stay in UK then the MF = 800 £ + (1600 x 2) = 4000 £ (assuming you have 2 dependants only). If the period is less than 6 months then it will be = 2800 £ + (1600 sx 2) = 6000 £.

Extract from Guidance:
==============

39. For example, the Tier 1 migrant has been in the UK for 6 months and is making an application at the same time as his/her spouse and two children. He/she must show that he/she has £1600 for his spouse and a further £1600 for each child, in addition to £800 required for his/her own support. In total the family will require evidence that they hold £5600 in available funds (£1600 x 3 = £4800 + £800).

Link: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... policy.pdf

I guess this is the answer however I will confirm this when I get the reply from the Entry Clearence Manager himself. Fortunately I received few replies from him when I was planning to apply for myself. I have sent him an email asking the same and got Out of Office reply (Easter!!!).

If I have misunderstood the statement in the guidance notes, please correct me. Thank you in advance!!

Cheers guys!!
Jedi001

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:17 am

Jedi001 wrote:

Thank you to everyone for posting your valuable views, Amit0277 and I are in the same boat. I guess if you are applying after 6 months of stay in UK then the MF = 800 £ + (1600 x 2) = 4000 £ (assuming you have 2 dependants only). If the period is less than 6 months then it will be = 2800 £ + (1600 sx 2) = 6000 £.

Extract from Guidance:
==============

39. For example, the Tier 1 migrant has 39. been in the UK for 6 months and is making an application at the same time as his/her spouse and two children. He/she must show that he/she has £1600 for his spouse and a further £1600 for each child, in addition to £800 required for his/her own support. In total the family will require evidence that they hold £5600 in available funds (£1600 x 3 = £4800 + £800).

Link: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... policy.pdf

I guess this is the answer however I will confirm this when I get the reply from the Entry Clearence Manager himself. Fortunately I received a reply from him few times when I was planning to apply for myself.

Cheers guys!!
This is where the a trouble is mate - Rewriting the rule above -

39. For example, the Tier 1 migrant has been in the UK for 6 months Okay eg - MR x is in UK for 4 months.
and is making an application at the same time as his/her spouse and two children. How is this possible now. We thought Mr/Ms X is in UK for last 4 months He/she must show that he/she has £1600 for his spouse and a further £1600 for each child, in addition to £800 required for his/her own support. In total the family will require evidence that they hold £5600 in available funds (£1600 x 3 = £4800 + £800).[/b]

I bet this will go on forever

x

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:00 am

raxs1983 wrote:

Okay - Let me buy the fact that you may be by far superior with all this matter. I yet again apologies if you found my post offending. I honestly didnt mean to. Also, I was neither being sarcarstic nor being a twat.

About Part 7 in the VAF form 9, I believed for a dependent to apply from outside uk (once a partner has valid TIER - 1 Visa) VAF 10 needed to be filled.

This in itself is a very confusing. for me its like catch 22 where we can not just draw to a conclusion. I guess, I shall saddle my horse for the day. I am loosing intrest in Wrestlemania :roll:

x
Pleasse dont get me wrong here. I have not been offended at all. And no one knows more than others here. We all are here to learn from each-other's experience and help. And I trust you are trying to do so as much as I am. No issues at all....
regards,
push

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:16 am

The cut-off is 12 months and not 6. 6months case is just an illustration.

If you read para 37 to 41 together then I think it becomes lucid.
37. If the Tier 1 migrant is outside the United Kingdom or has been present in the United Kingdom for less than 12 months, each family member of the Tier 1 migrant must show that he/she, the Tier 1 migrant, or (for children) his/her other parent who is also legally present in the United Kingdom has at least £1600 to support him/her; this is in addition to any funds the Tier 1 migrant needs to prove he/she has enough money to support himself/herself.
38. If the Tier 1 migrant has been in the United Kingdom for 12 months or more, each family member of the Tier 1 migrant must have £533 to support himself/herself.

39. For example, the Tier 1 migrant has been in the UK for 6 months and is making an application at the same time as his/her spouse and two children. He/she must show that he/she has £1600 for his spouse and a further £1600 for each child, in addition to £800 required for his/her own support. In total the family will require evidence that they hold £5600 in available funds (£1600 x 3 = £4800 + £800).

40.If the same Tier 1 migrant and his family had been present in the UK for two years, they would require evidence that they held £2399 (£533 x 3 = £1599 + £800) in available funds.

41. If a dependant applies separately from the Tier 1 migrant, there must still be enough funds to support each member of the family. Therefore in the example above, if the family has a third child, the main applicant has been in the United Kingdom for two years and the family applies for leave to remain for the third child separately, they must provide evidence that they have an additional £533 in available funds.
Things would have been much clearer if they gave an additional example on the lines of 41 above but citing a case in which the main applicant was in UK for say 7 months. In absence of the same, I would rather err on the side of caution and assume 37 to be the operative clause for scenarios in which a the main applicant has been in UK for less than 12 months and his/her dependents are applying separately.
regards,
push

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:49 am

push_hsmp wrote:The cut-off is 12 months and not 6. 6months case is just an illustration.

If you read para 37 to 41 together then I think it becomes lucid.
Okay. I guess no one would have clear answers until the decision has been made on such applications. anyways, here is anothr trouble i have been landed in by VFS this morning

in brief - I had a int student visa and applied for HSMP in march 2008. got it approved in november 2008. Applied for Passport stamping (in acc with old style HSMP rule) Passport endorsed with TIER 1 GENERAL MIGRANT.

My wife applied this mrng at VFS Ahmedabad, Gujarat. I was told in writting by VFS, Delhi as well as VFS Chennai that fees will be INR 18750 (new fees wef 6/4/2009). When my other half went to VFS, she was asked to pay Rs 50750

Any clues?

x

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:01 pm

raxs1983 wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:
My wife applied this mrng at VFS Ahmedabad, Gujarat. I was told in writting by VFS, Delhi as well as VFS Chennai that fees will be INR 18750 (new fees wef 6/4/2009). When my other half went to VFS, she was asked to pay Rs 50750

Any clues?

x
As far as I remember the fee was in this range for quite some time i.e 50k. It's was there on the VFS website. I remember ppl paying 52k earlier (Rs was not as strong against £). or I am dreaming now....
regards,
push

amit0277

Post by amit0277 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:11 pm

push_hsmp wrote:
raxs1983 wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:

Any clues?

x
As far as I remember the fee was in this range for quite some time i.e 50k. It's was there on the VFS website. I remember ppl paying 52k earlier (Rs was not as strong against £). or I am dreaming now....
Fee's is again raised to 51000/- it was 45000 last week.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Thats right but it was nowhere near INR 18750 in the recent past.
regards,
push

bonvivz

Dependant Visa for wife and son

Post by bonvivz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi All,

I am due to apply for extension soon and my wife and son are in india.
My wife was with me until recently she has to visit india for emergency visit. Hence I will have to apply for dependant visa for her and my son from india.

The following is the situation:

Wife: she was in UK for more than 12 months on dependant visa and now she will be staying in india for 4 months and due to apply for dependant visa(extension) in July. Hence funds required are £533

Son: Born in UK and is less than 12 months in the country. Hence funds requiered are £1600

Can you pl confirm the total sum of maintenance funds will be £533 + £1600?

Regards

bon

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Re: Dependant Visa for wife and son

Post by rakeysh.patel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:13 pm

bonvivz wrote:Hi All,

My wife was with me until recently she has to visit india for emergency visit. Hence I will have to apply for dependant visa for her and my son from india.

Wife: she was in UK for more than 12 months on dependant visa and now she will be staying in india for 4 months and due to apply for dependant visa(extension) in July. Hence funds required are £533

Son: Born in UK and is less than 12 months in the country. Hence funds requiered are £1600

Regards

bon
A recent research tells me that you ar spot on as above, providing your spouse and son were here on HSMP/TIER 1/Work Permit Dependent. If you are changing your status from say student to HSMP/TIER 1/Work Permit, than above is not correct

x

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:17 pm

raxs1983 wrote:

Regards

bon
A recent research tells me that you ar spot on as above, providing your spouse and son were here on HSMP/TIER 1/Work Permit Dependent. If you are changing your status from say student to HSMP/TIER 1/Work Permit, than above is not correct

x
The "time spent in UK" is relevant for the main applicant only. Dependents pay fee based on how the main applicant is treated not on their own length of stay in UK
regards,
push

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Also note that it hasn't got anything to do with the changing of VISA status either.
regards,
push

bonvivz

Post by bonvivz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:49 pm

push_hsmp wrote:
raxs1983 wrote:

Regards

bon

x
The "time spent in UK" is relevant for the main applicant only. Dependents pay fee based on how the main applicant is treated not on their own length of stay in UK
Thanks push_hsmp, I am on HSMP and will be applying as Tier 1 extension.

amit0277

Clarification from OISC Registered Consultants

Post by amit0277 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:32 pm

I had raised following query to a OSIC consultant:

I have been granted Tier 1 (General) visa on Dec 01 2008. I have travelled to UK on Jan 31 2009 and have recently joined a 6 months fixed term contract. Now I would like to apply visa for my wife and daughter. I understand we have to show maintenance fund i.e £1600 per dependent. I would be grateful if you can clarify my doubts which are mentioned below:

1. Do I have to show maintenance fund for myself as I am the main applicant along with my dependents? I.E £2800 + £1600 + £ 1600

2. Can my wife show maintenance fund from her bank account?

3. In case I have to show maintenance fund for myself, Can I show funds from my India account which I used for my visa application?

His Response:

1.No (You already have the visa)
2.Yes
3. No need

push
United Kingdom

Re: Clarification from OISC Registered Consultants

Post by push » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:18 pm

amit0277 wrote:I had raised following query to a OSIC consultant:

I have been granted Tier 1 (General) visa on Dec 01 2008. I have travelled to UK on Jan 31 2009 and have recently joined a 6 months fixed term contract. Now I would like to apply visa for my wife and daughter. I understand we have to show maintenance fund i.e £1600 per dependent. I would be grateful if you can clarify my doubts which are mentioned below:

1. Do I have to show maintenance fund for myself as I am the main applicant along with my dependents? I.E £2800 + £1600 + £ 1600

3. In case I have to show maintenance fund for myself, Can I show funds from my India account which I used for my visa application?

His Response:

2.Yes
3. No need
Can you send an email to UKBA and pose them the following question:

I have been in UK for less than 12 months on Tier-1 VISA. I now intend to apply visa for my dependant. Can the same funds which I used for in support of my application be used for meeting the maintenance requirement for my dependent as well?
regards,
push

amit0277

Re: Clarification from OISC Registered Consultants

Post by amit0277 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:58 am

push_hsmp wrote:
amit0277 wrote:I had raised following query to a OSIC consultant:

His Response:

2.Yes
3. No need
Can you send an email to UKBA and pose them the following question:

I have been in UK for less than 12 months on Tier-1 VISA. I now intend to apply visa for my dependant. Can the same funds which I used for in support of my application be used for meeting the maintenance requirement for my dependent as well?
I am waiting for a reply from UKBA for similar set of questions. I am clear about the point that same fund cannot be shown again for dependent and I am not intended to do so. The point is whether I have to show the maintenance fund for my self while filing the dependent visa? I will update the thread as soon as I get a reply from UKBA

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:09 pm

But unless you provide proof for your own maintenance funds how would you prove that you are not using the same funds for your dependents?
regards,
push

amit0277

Post by amit0277 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 am

push_hsmp wrote:But unless you provide proof for your own maintenance funds how would you prove that you are not using the same funds for your dependents?
Latest response from UKBA:

Dear Mr Sharma,
Thank you for your enquiry.

As advised by my colleague, if your dependants are applying separately you do not need to provide evidence for your own maintenance, as you would have provided this information in your own application.
Please see page 8 of the PBS (dependant) policy guidance.
If the Tier 1 migrant has been present in the United Kingdom for less than 12 months, each family member of the Tier 1 migrant must show that he/she, the Tier 1 migrant, or (for children) his/her other parent who is also legally present in the United Kingdom has at least £1600 to support him/her.
Therefore, you need to show at least £1600 for each dependant.
Yours sincerely,

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:35 am

amit0277 wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:But unless you provide proof for your own maintenance funds how would you prove that you are not using the same funds for your dependents?
Latest response from UKBA:

Dear Mr Sharma,
Thank you for your enquiry.

As advised by my colleague, if your dependants are applying separately you do not need to provide evidence for your own maintenance, as you would have provided this information in your own application.
Please see page 8 of the PBS (dependant) policy guidance.
If the Tier 1 migrant has been present in the United Kingdom for less than 12 months, each family member of the Tier 1 migrant must show that he/she, the Tier 1 migrant, or (for children) his/her other parent who is also legally present in the United Kingdom has at least £1600 to support him/her.
Therefore, you need to show at least £1600 for each dependant.
Yours sincerely,
this shud be a big relief for all of us mate. Tanks for posting this. I had applied from india with my bank statements for my spouse with the balance of 1600 GBP (and bit more on top)