ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to manage Business Trips in ILR application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ankreeti
Newly Registered

How to manage Business Trips in ILR application

Post by ankreeti » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi All,

I came to UK on 30th Jun 2006. My employer wants me to put in role which need a lot of travel to Europe. It is estimated that this situation will persist till end of 2009.
I will end up spending more than 60% of my time in Europe for next 9 months.
I want to apply for ILR in Jun 2011.Will it be an issue at that time? Is there a workaround which can prevent my losing my current job.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

ejobs_01

Re: How to manage Business Trips in ILR application

Post by ejobs_01 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:40 pm

ankreeti wrote:Hi All,

I came to UK on 30th Jun 2006. My employer wants me to put in role which need a lot of travel to Europe. It is estimated that this situation will persist till end of 2009.
I want to apply for ILR in Jun 2011.Will it be an issue at that time? Is there a workaround which can prevent my losing my current job.

Many Thanks
Ankreeti,

My take on this is that since this is job related trip then it should not be a problem as long as you have maintained your base here i.e. your home, salary etc. But then, this is how I see it.

Regards,

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:02 pm

ankreeti wrote:Hi All,

Many Thanks
Will the total absences be less than 180-225 for the 5 years prior to applying?

anjali_devi

Post by anjali_devi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:48 pm

i was in a similar position. If possible after you return from each trip get a letter saying that you were paid here, duration of visit and make the letter obvious that the travel is required to maintain business as usual for a UK company...

MrBaboo

Post by MrBaboo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:01 pm

anjali_devi wrote:i was in a similar position. If possible after you return from each trip get a letter saying that you were paid here, duration of visit and make the letter obvious that the travel is required to maintain business as usual for a UK company...
I think this is good advice and seems to fit with what I've read in various other posts on this subject over the last year or two.

It seems to me there is no unequivocal view on this however many people with successful cases seem to share some of these points:

* Total number of days did not exceed 180 days (some people say 225 is fine) out of the total 5 years.
* No single absence was greater than 90 days.
* They had letters from employers reflecting that the absences were for paid work in the UK.
* They had sympathetic application assessors.

MrBaboo

Post by MrBaboo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:04 pm

MrBaboo wrote: * Total number of days did not exceed 180 days (some people say 225 is fine) out of the total 5 years.
Oh, and some people say the HO does not count the day of departure nor return and they are also no longer counting weekends. Whether that is true or not is anybody's guess!

ankreeti
Newly Registered

Post by ankreeti » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:23 am

This is turning out to be really helpful. I am consolidating the various comments and my conclusions:
1. No single absence greater than 90 days. - Can come back every month on my expenses
2. Letter from employer stating the reason of visit will be helpful.
3. Wish for sympathetic application assessors.- We all love them.

I am expecting it to be less than 6 months.. if not.. i would hope that market improves in next 6 months :)

Interesting question by MrBaboo is:
Are weekends counted in 180/225 days permissible days out?

i appreciate the responses from everyone of you. You guys rock and this forum is brilliant.. thanks a ton guys

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:48 am

ankreeti wrote:I came to UK on 30th Jun 2006. My employer wants me to put in role which need a lot of travel to Europe. It is estimated that this situation will persist till end of 2009.
I don't know... Under the current law, that would not be a big problem, but who knows? The government has a long history of changing the targets halfway through, and the Citizenship and Immigration Bill is no exception. If it passes, you would have to rely on discretion, and that may or may not work. If you are prepared to take your case to court, you should have an excellent change of succeeding.
I want to apply for ILR in Jun 2011.Will it be an issue at that time?
That is exactly the question. Nobody here can predict the future, so it remains to be seen.

bayevnat
Newly Registered

Post by bayevnat » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:26 am

ankreeti, don't know where the 180-225 days are coming from. The law says 450 within 5 years and no more than 90 in the last year no matter for what reason. When I submitted my naturalisation application with NCS they told me they were instructed by HO to look at it in exactly that way. Now on my personal experience. I used to have a job that required extensive wold-wide travel. Me and a few of my colleagues just obtained a letter from our employer confirming that frequent business travel was part of the job. So it was the blanket letter and then I attached the detailed list of all trips. Worked without any trouble for my ILR application a year ago. Same for my colleagues. Know one more person who had all the rips listed in the employers letter. But from experience it is more difficult to get as my employer, for example, didn't want to check and confirm every trip but were happy to say generally that I had to travel a lot for work. Good luck.

MrBaboo

Post by MrBaboo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

bayevnat wrote:ankreeti, don't know where the 180-225 days are coming from. The law says 450 within 5 years and no more than 90 in the last year no matter for what reason..
Those are naturalisation requirements, I believe. ILR is more stringent.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:26 pm

bayevnat wrote:ankreeti, don't know where the 180-225 days are coming from. The law says 450 within 5 years and no more than 90 in the last year no matter for what reason. When I submitted my naturalisation
This is for ILR not Naturalisation
The 450 is for naturalisation.
My god, stop mixing and matching.

bayevnat
Newly Registered

Post by bayevnat » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:21 pm

OK, OK you're right and i'm wrong :-))))!
For ankreeti. For IRL I had 301 day's travel in total for 5 years (day of departure and arrival to the UK excluded) of which 154 were personal and 147 for business. I did count the weekends though. As I said before, it worked without any trouble with employer's letter.

MrBaboo

Post by MrBaboo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:52 pm

republique wrote:My god, stop mixing and matching.
Really, was that outburst justified? If you can't say something politely then please don't say it at all.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:47 pm

HE HAS passed very critical info , which i was looking from long time

ankreeti
Newly Registered

Post by ankreeti » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:33 pm

It all concludes to the fact that i will need a letter from my employer to cover my business trips. I am sure that we cannot predict how HO will change guidelines so i highly appreciate the experiences.

So i guess, answer to the question is:
A letter from employer covering business travel.

This information is really helpful. This forum is awsome. I sincerely appreciate everyone's time and effort.

Many thanks everyone. Actually i have another question but i will prefer to open a new thread for that than adulterating it :)

Kind Regards

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:21 pm

MrBaboo wrote:
Really, was that outburst justified? If you can't say something politely then please don't say it at all.
It was polite
If you want impolite
I can change it and you can appreciate the difference

MrBaboo

Post by MrBaboo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:43 pm

republique wrote:
MrBaboo wrote:
It was polite
If you want impolite
I can change it and you can appreciate the difference
I don't precisely know why your status is "thin ice" but I can take a wild guess.