ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

certificate of EU1 application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dar_man
Newly Registered

certificate of EU1 application

Post by dar_man » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:42 am

Hello there.

First of all congratulations for the great site. Great help for lot's of people.

Now my question. I saw in few posts that after one applies for a resident card (Non-EU join EU spouse - EU1), he/she gets a certificate of application with which he/she can obtain GNIB card, work etc until the card itself is issued. What form this certificate has? Is it just the acknowledgement for receiving the application and the documents or something more "formal"???

For those interested, here is my wife's story and why I'm asking:

She (non EU) joined me (EU) about a month ago with a "join spouse" 6 months Irish Visa. I live and work here in Ireland.

At the airport she was told that she must register with police within 3 months. Fair enough.

We tried to apply for a PPS number for her (so she can get a bank account etc) and there she was told that first she needs to register with police (notice that this is not mentioned in the requirements for PPS!).

Anyway, she went to the local police station where she was told that she first needs to apply for a resident card. In addition, she was told (in an unreasonably impolite way): "Don't come back to us before you get your resident card!"

She posted all the (original) documents for the resident card to the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service about 20 days ago. They returned us most of the original documents (notably they kept the original wedding certificate - to be return when the procedure is completed), together with a stamped slip of paper (not much written on it) that was part of the application form.

Will that slip of paper be enough to get the GNIB card, or should we wait for something more formal? We could ask the police here if they will be happy with it, but given the way that police spoke to my wife in the first time, she hesitates going back there "without her resident card".

Thanks a lot...

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: certificate of EU1 application

Post by Ben » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:27 pm

dar_man wrote:Hello there.

First of all congratulations for the great site. Great help for lot's of people.

Now my question. I saw in few posts that after one applies for a resident card (Non-EU join EU spouse - EU1), he/she gets a certificate of application with which he/she can obtain GNIB card, work etc until the card itself is issued. What form this certificate has? Is it just the acknowledgement for receiving the application and the documents or something more "formal"???
It used to be a stamped tear-off slip (from page 3 of the EU1 form). However, in recent times, it is a letter addressed to the applicant that confirms receipt of the EU1 application, and invitation for the applicant to report to their local GNIB office to obtain a temporary Stamp 4 card, with 6 months validity (until approval of the EU1 application).
dar_man wrote:For those interested, here is my wife's story and why I'm asking:

She (non EU) joined me (EU) about a month ago with a "join spouse" 6 months Irish Visa. I live and work here in Ireland.

At the airport she was told that she must register with police within 3 months. Fair enough.
This is standard airport GNIB officer speil. In one ear and out the other, if you please.
dar_man wrote:We tried to apply for a PPS number for her (so she can get a bank account etc) and there she was told that first she needs to register with police (notice that this is not mentioned in the requirements for PPS!).
This is incorrect.
CitizensInformation.ie (Personal Public Service Number) wrote:In order to receive a number, you will need to fill out an application form and provide proof of your identity.

If you are Irish, you will need to produce the following documents:

* The long version of your birth certificate

And

* Photographic ID, such as your passport or driving licence

And

* Evidence of your address, such as a household bill in your name.

If you are not Irish, you will need to produce the following documents:

* Your passport or national identity card

Or

* Your Immigration Card

And

* Evidence of your address, such as a household bill (ESB, telephone, gas, etc.) in your name.
dar_man wrote:Anyway, she went to the local police station where she was told that she first needs to apply for a resident card. In addition, she was told (in an unreasonably impolite way): "Don't come back to us before you get your resident card!"
She first needs to apply for the Residence Card, using form EU1, then return to the GNIB office with her Certificate of Application. No excuse for the rudeness though.
dar_man wrote:She posted all the (original) documents for the resident card to the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service about 20 days ago. They returned us most of the original documents (notably they kept the original wedding certificate - to be return when the procedure is completed)
Erm, how does the DoJ feel that intentionally withholding your marriage certificate is lawful? Demand it back - it's yours, and they've already had sight of it and opportunity to make a copy.
dar_man wrote:together with a stamped slip of paper (not much written on it) that was part of the application form.
Stamped slip of paper was the old way of issuing the Certificate of Application, referred to in the Directive. I'm surprised to hear they've gone back to doing that. My guess though, is that it's a mistake.
dar_man wrote:Will that slip of paper be enough to get the GNIB card, or should we wait for something more formal? We could ask the police here if they will be happy with it, but given the way that police spoke to my wife in the first time, she hesitates going back there "without her resident card".
Try it. If the GNIB do not accept the stamped slip of paper as a valid Certificate of Application, write to the DoJ informing them of the same. Demand a valid Certificate of Application described in Article 10(1) of Directive 2004/38/EC.
dar_man wrote:Thanks a lot...
Welcome. Do keep us informed.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:10 pm

If you have any further problems, contact Solvit http://eumovement.wordpress.com/help-eu-solvit/

dar_man
Newly Registered

Post by dar_man » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks a million guys. Really helpful information.

For the wedding certificate we thought that they might want to double check it (it was issued outside EU - Singapore to be exact).

We will ask it back though. For sure we will need it sooner that the 6 months it takes to process the resident card.

Thanks again...

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:43 pm

dar_man wrote:Thanks a million guys. Really helpful information.

For the wedding certificate we thought that they might want to double check it (it was issued outside EU - Singapore to be exact).

We will ask it back though. For sure we will need it sooner that the 6 months it takes to process the resident card.

Thanks again...
Hi dar_man,

My marriage certificate was issued in Singapore. The DoJ have had possession of it a total of 4 times (for 6 applications), and have never questioned it's validity.

Out of interest, is it ROM or ROMM? Ours is ROMM.

dar_man
Newly Registered

Post by dar_man » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Nice coincidence. For us it is ROM.

Thanks

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:59 pm

dar_man wrote:Nice coincidence. For us it is ROM.

Thanks
Indeed! Interesting. Wonder why they insist on keeping it?.. Do let us know!

dar_man
Newly Registered

Post by dar_man » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:03 pm

Hello,

Just an update for those interested.

We went to the local immigration officer. He insisted that with only that acknowledgment slip he can't do anything. Apparently, upon receiving the application the DoJ has to send 2 letters. One to us (acknowledgment certificate) and one directly to the immigration officer giving him instructions.

I called DoJ and apparently they "forgot" to issue that letters to us!!! The operator said they will issue one ASAP.

I also asked about the wedding certificate and why they kept it. The operator didn't have a clue why, but he will ask his supervisor and return it back to as too.

Let's see. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks for the update dar_man.

What the GNIB officer told you is correct, about the two letters.

The DoJ are obligated to issue the certificate of application immediately. They translate this as a letter of invitation to register with the GNIB and obtain a Stamp 4 card valid for 6 months. Bad that they "forgot" to send it, but good that they're correcting their mistake quickly.

Retention of the marriage certificate is worrying. In my personal experience, the DoJ have a habit of losing personal documents and then denying they ever had them. Don't let this happen to you.

dar_man
Newly Registered

Post by dar_man » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 pm

We just received the acknowledgment certificate (I hope it is correct this time). They are asking both of us to go to Naas Garda Station. It takes few hours to go there (a full day off from work for me) and about 30 euros per person return by public transport. All these while the local Garda station (we live in Maynooth) has an immigration office (we have been there few times).
What a mess...

dar_man
Newly Registered

Post by dar_man » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:20 pm

Further update: Naas Garda told us that we should NOT go there as instructed (!). Instead, the letter (sent by the DoJ to them) will be forwarded to our local Garda station.

Upon receiving it (it might take up to 2 weeks according to them!), the local immigration officer will contact us, asking to go there for the stamp 4...

Thanks God we called them before going there...