ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP REFUSED DUE TO LACK OF MAINTENANCE FUNDS

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

suse76
Newly Registered

HSMP REFUSED DUE TO LACK OF MAINTENANCE FUNDS

Post by suse76 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:42 pm

The maintenance fund £800 criteria - what defines 'IMMEDIATELY' before the application - is it one day? one week? one month?
My application has been rejected due to an indescrepency!!

I placed an application for HSMP on 30th Jan 09 for period:
1st Jan 08-31st Dec 09 and it has been rejected due to lack of maintenance funds - £800.

I submitted statements from my online saver account dated 20th Aug - 29th Dec (one month before my application date) printed and certified from my bank which clearly showed I had sufficient funds.

This evidence was not even looked at by the Home Office.

They looked at my 12 month statements provided for previous earnings which did not have sufficient funds to meet the maintenance fund criteria.

I have no right to appeal as I still have leave to remain on my work permit, however I wrote a letter asking for my application to be reviewed along with a letter written from my bank and more certified statements to prove that I did have the funds.

They have still rejected my application.

I have no right to appeal - what are my options other than applying again and paying another £750?

Surya_0101
Newly Registered

Post by Surya_0101 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Did you clearly mention this in the coverletter? I am surprised how they could ignore it!

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: HSMP REFUSED DUE TO LACK OF MAINTENANCE FUNDS

Post by tvn_ramesh » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm

suse76 wrote:The maintenance fund £800 criteria - what defines 'IMMEDIATELY' before the application - is it one day? one week? one month?
My application has been rejected due to an indescrepency!!

I placed an application for HSMP on 30th Jan 09 for period:
1st Jan 08-31st Dec 09 and it has been rejected due to lack of maintenance funds - £800.

I submitted statements from my online saver account dated 20th Aug - 29th Dec (one month before my application date) printed and certified from my bank which clearly showed I had sufficient funds.

This evidence was not even looked at by the Home Office.

They looked at my 12 month statements provided for previous earnings which did not have sufficient funds to meet the maintenance fund criteria.

I have no right to appeal as I still have leave to remain on my work permit, however I wrote a letter asking for my application to be reviewed along with a letter written from my bank and more certified statements to prove that I did have the funds.

They have still rejected my application.

I have no right to appeal - what are my options other than applying again and paying another £750?
Sorry to hear that BUT,

I think you just took too much risk by sticking to 1month before application.. your bank statements as mentioned for Maintenance funds will be more than 1month old;

If you have submitted ur applicaton on 30th Jan 09 because date on your bank statement should not be less than 31st Dec 08 and urs is 29th Dec 08 i think they JUST sticked to the rules by 1-2 day???

pb78
United Kingdom

Post by pb78 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:56 pm

This is what the guidance says

All evidence must be dated no more than one month before the application is submitted.

Did you send your application by post or courier 'coz if it was thru courier then the date the appln reaches HO is the appln date.

pb78

satish.pand

Post by satish.pand » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:58 pm

The problem is because of this date. 20th Aug - 29th Dec .

The end date of your maintenance fund period should be WITHIN one period before the application ise sent.

suse76
Newly Registered

Post by suse76 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks guys...

Can you tell me where exactly it says that the bank statements must be one month before application date?

The application date is taken from the date it was posted and marked on the envelope which was 30th Jan.

So you mean to tell me I have been refused because of 1 day?! That is ludicrous....

maheshnair
BANNED

Post by maheshnair » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:15 pm

suse76 wrote:Thanks guys...

Can you tell me where exactly it says that the bank statements must be one month before application date?

The application date is taken from the date it was posted and marked on the envelope which was 30th Jan.

So you mean to tell me I have been refused because of 1 day?! That is ludicrous....

Open the guidance note and see .
It is mentioned that maintainance docs cannot be 1 months older .

earlier it was 1 week , they made it 1 months recently ...

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:16 am

these rules are pethetic but one has to follow it otherwise u loose money and time... to get a right to appeal u need to hire a solicitor and it cost more then the application fees...
I guess it is feasable to apply again..

maheshnair
BANNED

Post by maheshnair » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:26 am

yasa wrote:

these rules are pethetic but one has to follow it otherwise u loose money and time... to get a right to appeal u need to hire a solicitor and it cost more then the application fees...
I guess it is feasable to apply again..

what can a solicitor do ? RULES ARE RULES .
If he is a good solicitor , he will say he cannot do anything . If he is fake , he will eat ur money and still get rejected .

only option is RE-APPLY AS IT IS UR MISTAKE

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:14 pm

The guidance is unfortunately quite clear on this. The evidence needs to be dated within a month of the date of the application.

suse76
Newly Registered

Post by suse76 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Just to update you on my recent refusal of the HSMP.

I faxed another letter into the HO asking for more clarification, they have just replied.

They have now stated in the letter that my application date was 29th JAN 09 and that my current account statements (provided for previous earnings) were looked at for the maintenance funds because the date on the last statement (20th JAN 09) was closer to the application date then the 3 months statements I provided for the maintenance funds (29th DEC 08 - within the one month).

Basically what they are saying is that regardless whether my 3 months statements for the maintenance funds was within one month of the application date, that they look at WHICHEVER statements are dated closest to the application date - which in this case was my current account - (which did not have the correct funds).

WHERE IN THE GUIDANCE NOTES OR IMMIGRATION RULES DOES IT SAY THIS?? - THAT THE STATEMENTS PROVIDED FOR THE MAINTENANCE FUND MUST BE THE CLOSEST DATE TO THE APPLICATION OUT OF ALL STATEMENTS PROVIDED???!!

I cannot find this rule anywhere.

It only says that the statements provided for the maintenance funds MUST BE WITHIN ONE MONTH OF THE APPLICATION DATE - am I correct??

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:03 pm

suse76 wrote:Hi Guys,

I faxed another letter into the HO asking for more clarification, they have just replied.

They have now stated in the letter that my application date was 29th JAN 09 and that my current account statements (provided for previous earnings) were looked at for the maintenance funds because the date on the last statement (20th JAN 09) was closer to the application date then the 3 months statements I provided for the maintenance funds (29th DEC 08 - within the one month).

Basically what they are saying is that regardless whether my 3 months statements for the maintenance funds was within one month of the application date, that they look at WHICHEVER statements are dated closest to the application date - which in this case was my current account - (which did not have the correct funds).

WHERE IN THE GUIDANCE NOTES OR IMMIGRATION RULES DOES IT SAY THIS?? - THAT THE STATEMENTS PROVIDED FOR THE MAINTENANCE FUND MUST BE THE CLOSEST DATE TO THE APPLICATION OUT OF ALL STATEMENTS PROVIDED???!!

It only says that the statements provided for the maintenance funds MUST BE WITHIN ONE MONTH OF THE APPLICATION DATE - am I correct??
u r correct and they r wrong..

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:50 pm

suse76 wrote: Basically what they are saying is that regardless whether my 3 months statements for the maintenance funds was within one month of the application date, that they look at WHICHEVER statements are dated closest to the application date - which in this case was my current account - (which did not have the correct funds).
They got to be taking the pi$$ here! You have it in writing (I presume they faxed you back) that your application ate was Jan 29... so if your savings account showed funds over GBP 800 from Sep 29 to Dec 29, then you should be in the clear. What they said above is utterly unreasonable. I would submit a complaint to the Customer Service Unit if I were you.

There is one exception I can think of, and that related to the type of online savings account you have. Is it a fixed notice account? I.e. you need to give the bank a certain number of days/weeks notice before you can withdraw the funds? I know there are several banks that have such accounts, where in return, they give a slightly higher interest rate than a regular cash savings or cash ISA account. In such a case, the HO may argue that your GBP 800 may not be cash saving, and more a fixed deposit.

Good luck.

ejobs_01

Post by ejobs_01 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:25 pm

LankanFunkin wrote:
suse76 wrote: Basically what they are saying is that regardless whether my 3 months statements for the maintenance funds was within one month of the application date, that they look at WHICHEVER statements are dated closest to the application date - which in this case was my current account - (which did not have the correct funds).
They got to be taking the pi$$ here! You have it in writing (I presume they faxed you back) that your application ate was Jan 29... so if your savings account showed funds over GBP 800 from Sep 29 to Dec 29, then you should be in the clear. What they said above is utterly unreasonable. I would submit a complaint to the Customer Service Unit if I were you.

There is one exception I can think of, and that related to the type of online savings account you have. Is it a fixed notice account? I.e. you need to give the bank a certain number of days/weeks notice before you can withdraw the funds? I know there are several banks that have such accounts, where in return, they give a slightly higher interest rate than a regular cash savings or cash ISA account. In such a case, the HO may argue that your GBP 800 may not be cash saving, and more a fixed deposit.

Good luck.
I agree with Lankan's second para. Regular or Cash ISA (if they are instant) should not have any problem. You can attach the terms and conditions of your account (stamped and signed) with your account statement when submitting your application.

Regards,

suse76
Newly Registered

Post by suse76 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks for the advice but my savings account is just a normal online saver account and I can take the money out whenever, I don't have to give the bank any notice, I have immediate access to it.

I just don't receive statements so I had to get the bank to print & certify them for me.

I had well over £800 in this account and the statements were clearly labelled that they were for the maintenance criteria.

I have re-applied as I had to get in before the changes on the 31st March otherwise I didn't qualify, so I will hold off with my complaint as I don't want to jeopardise my new application but as I have it in writing I will fight them to try and get a refund on my first application.

It is just ludicrous..

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:40 pm

suse76 wrote:Hi Guys,

You might have answered it already but can you tell us if you used the same account for your maintenance funds as well as for earnings claim? Can you also post HO's response verbatim?
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

suse76
Newly Registered

Post by suse76 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:57 pm

I used an online saver account for my maintenance funds & my current account for the previous earnings.

The letter of clarification I received from the HO states as below:

You have requested further clarification on the reasons for the refusal of your Tier 1 application.
You are correct in assuming that your application was refused due to lack of evidence of £800 maintenance funds. The requirements is that all applicants should have the required amount of funds, in your case £800, for the 3 months immediately prior to the application being made. The last statement provided must fall within one calender month of the application being made. In your case you applied on 29th January 2009, the most recent bank statement supplied ended on the 20th January 2009 therefore we would assess the period 21 October until 20 January as the one in which you would need to show maintenance funds.

The period to be assessed is always 3 months running back from the last statement provided no matter what sort of account that the statement is for. Therefore in your case although you had submitted evidence from your savings account the most recent statement was from your current account and thus it was from that one that we worked out the dates of the period to be assessed.

For further clarification, if you applied on the 29 January 2009 then the largest gap we could allow before the assessment period would be one month and thus we could go back to 29 Decemeber for the start of the 3 month assessment period.

We are unable to reconsider your application at this stage, however it remains open to you to re-apply and I hope that the above helps to explain and clarify our previous refusal reasons.

As you can see from the above explanation that because my current account statements (for previous earnings) were dated closer to the application date then the online saver account statements (for the maintenance funds) they have used the current account statements to assess the maintenance fund regardless of the fact that the online saver account statments were within one month of the application date - THIS IS A RULE THAT THEY SEEM TO HAVE MADE UP TO REFUSE MY APPLICATION AS THIS RULE IS NO-WHERE TO BE FOUND IN THE GUIDANCE OR IMMIGRATION RULES!!!

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 am

suse76 wrote:I used an online saver account for my maintenance funds & my current account for the previous earnings.

The letter of clarification I received from the HO states as below:

You have requested further clarification on the reasons for the refusal of your Tier 1 application.
You are correct in assuming that your application was refused due to lack of evidence of £800 maintenance funds. The requirements is that all applicants should have the required amount of funds, in your case £800, for the 3 months immediately prior to the application being made. The last statement provided must fall within one calender month of the application being made. In your case you applied on 29th January 2009, the most recent bank statement supplied ended on the 20th January 2009 therefore we would assess the period 21 October until 20 January as the one in which you would need to show maintenance funds.

The period to be assessed is always 3 months running back from the last statement provided no matter what sort of account that the statement is for. Therefore in your case although you had submitted evidence from your savings account the most recent statement was from your current account and thus it was from that one that we worked out the dates of the period to be assessed.

For further clarification, if you applied on the 29 January 2009 then the largest gap we could allow before the assessment period would be one month and thus we could go back to 29 Decemeber for the start of the 3 month assessment period.

We are unable to reconsider your application at this stage, however it remains open to you to re-apply and I hope that the above helps to explain and clarify our previous refusal reasons.

As you can see from the above explanation that because my current account statements (for previous earnings) were dated closer to the application date then the online saver account statements (for the maintenance funds) they have used the current account statements to assess the maintenance fund regardless of the fact that the online saver account statments were within one month of the application date - THIS IS A RULE THAT THEY SEEM TO HAVE MADE UP TO REFUSE MY APPLICATION AS THIS RULE IS NO-WHERE TO BE FOUND IN THE GUIDANCE OR IMMIGRATION RULES!!!
They have gone Bonk***. File a complaint and you will definitely win. The rules are rules and not open for subjective interpretation by the case worker. People use different accounts to get their salaries credited and the other one for saving purposes. If we went by the logic provided by the case worker a number of applications will be rejected. The implication of his assessment is, you have to have just one account for maintenance as well as earnings proof.

You should write back to him saying that Guidance notes allow you to maintain separate accounts for maintenance and if the statements for the maintenance funds meet the criteria specified in the guidance notes there is no reason for him to reject it. The Guidance notes/Immigration rules do not tie maintenance funds proof to earnings proof and these have to be treated separately.

Dont worry about your current application as your appeal/rant/anger against the way the original application was treated will not have any impact over your application under consideration now.
regards,
push

paulmu

Post by paulmu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:54 pm

"...for the 3 months immediately prior to the application being made"

IMO HO has interpreted this statement correctly. If you had applied on 30 Jan and supplied bank statements up to 20 Jan, HO will confirm two things regarding maintenance fund requirements:
1. Is the latest bank statement not more than 1 month old from date application? Comparing 20 Jan to 30 Jan. Correct.
2. The 3 month period for maintenance fund is from 21 Sep to 20 Jan. Are the daily balances over £800 for the full period? In your case no.
PM

golu

Post by golu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:09 pm

I think this is dire. Many of us transfer a substantial amount of our money from current account to a better interest-rate account, if HO goes by the rule you have mentioned above then like me, many of others will be in trouble.

There are many whose saver account will have more then enough funds while their current account might have gone down below 800.

Did u clearly mention in your covering letter as in what to use as maintenance fund and what statements as earning proof ?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:52 pm

paulmu wrote:"...for the 3 months immediately prior to the application being made"

IMO HO has interpreted this statement correctly. If you had applied on 30 Jan and supplied bank statements up to 20 Jan, HO will confirm two things regarding maintenance fund requirements:
1. Is the latest bank statement not more than 1 month old from date application? Comparing 20 Jan to 30 Jan. Correct.
2. The 3 month period for maintenance fund is from 21 Sep to 20 Jan. Are the daily balances over £800 for the full period? In your case no.
But the caseworker should look at latest bank statement submitted in support of the maintenance funds and not that submitted in support of earnings claim (he submitted statements from two different accounts and so do many others).
regards,
push

paulmu

Post by paulmu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:35 pm

I was merely pointing out the situation confronting the case worker. Since the (separate) bank statements for maintanance funds did not satisfy the 1 month restriction, the case worker used the alternative bank statements.
PM

suse76
Newly Registered

Post by suse76 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 pm

golu wrote:I think this is dire. Many of us transfer a substantial amount of our money from current account to a better interest-rate account, if HO goes by the rule you have mentioned above then like me, many of others will be in trouble.

There are many whose saver account will have more then enough funds while their current account might have gone down below 800.

Did u clearly mention in your covering letter as in what to use as maintenance fund and what statements as earning proof ?
Yes I had everything clearly labelled & highlighted, I could not have been any clearer as to which statements were for which criteria..

suse76
Newly Registered

Post by suse76 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:41 pm

paulmu wrote:I was merely pointing out the situation confronting the case worker. Since the (separate) bank statements for maintanance funds did not satisfy the 1 month restriction, the case worker used the alternative bank statements.
No this is not true, intially I thought this is why my application had been refused but when delved into further - my application date as stated on the HO clarification letter was 29th Jan 09 so my maintenance fund statements just scrap into the one month rule as they were dated 29th Dec 08.

They refused my application on the grounds that the latest date bank statement was from the statements provided for the previous earnings which was dated 20th Jan 09 (which did not have the correct funds required for the maintenance criteria) regardless of the fact that the maintenance fund statements were within the one month of application date.

sunny2004

Maintenance Fund Query

Post by sunny2004 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:20 pm

This is very urgent and any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
This is the extract from UKBA’s Tier 1 general Policy Guidelines.
I am submitting this particular letter to prove my Maintenance Fund Requirements.

Letter from bank confirming funds and iii) that they have been in the bank for at least three months:
The letter from a bank or building society should show:
the applicant’s name;•
the account number;•
the date of the letter
the financial institution’s name and logo;•
the funds held in the applicant’s account•
that the funds of £2,800 or £800 have been “• in the bank for at least three consecutive months on and immediately before the date of the letter.â€