ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension/Switching to TIER1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Extension/Switching to TIER1

Post by hsmpengineer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:53 am

Hi guys,

I've got a question for everyone about to extend/switch from HSMP to Tier1.

If granted an extension do we get a 3 yr extension or is it 2yrs? reason i ask is this, if you are currently on a HSMP visa this would imply that your initial grant was for 2 yrs with the opportunity to extend for an extra 3yrs on completion of the initial period. Now with the introduction of Tier 1 , the initial period is now 3yrs and the extension 2yrs!!

This would mean that if you extend form HSMP under TIER1 you may end up getting an extension for just 2 yrs rather than 3 yrs thus leaving you at the mercy of the home office yet again in 2 yrs time! :-(

I really really hope im wrong about this. let me know if you know better or have already extended/swtich from hsmp to tier 1.

cheers guys

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:58 am

In my case it was a 3 year extension from HSMP to Tier 1.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:09 pm

[quote="drjabberwocky23"]In my case it was a 3 year extension from HSMP to Tier 1.[/quote]

Thanks mate. please can you let me know when you made this application? also just out of curiosity, what does the new visa stamp in your passport look like and does it say tier 1 on it? the old HSMP one in my passport simply says residence permit.

thanks again

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:20 pm

I applied in mid-January. My visa was due to expire at the end of February, and it did expire while awaiting my documents to be returned. I received my decision in early March with a stamp date of exactly 1 day before the date of my previous expiry.

The actual visa stamp is excatly like the old HSMP stamp with the words Residence Permit on it. It also says Tier 1 Migrant in print on the visa.

AshwathCR

Post by AshwathCR » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:10 pm

drjabberwocky23 wrote:I applied in mid-January. My visa was due to expire at the end of February, and it did expire while awaiting my documents to be returned. I received my decision in early March with a stamp date of exactly 1 day before the date of my previous expiry.

The actual visa stamp is excatly like the old HSMP stamp with the words Residence Permit on it. It also says Tier 1 Migrant in print on the visa.
Hi,

I am on HSMP and my visa is going to expire on 02/Nov/09
I understand that I need to apply for extension not before 30 days of expiry date.

Could you please let me know what documents are required to be sent to the home office?

Did you send your docs thru courier ? and if so, to which address?

Your help is greatly appreciated ...

Best Regards,
Ashwath

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:31 pm

There is no restriction on how soon you can apply, I think.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... owtoapply/

"
For applications made inside the United Kingdom

If you are already in the United Kingdom, you should apply to stay as soon as possible and before your current leave runs out. We encourage you to apply one month before your leave runs out."

AshwathCR

Post by AshwathCR » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:42 pm

jd wrote:There is no restriction on how soon you can apply, I think.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... owtoapply/

"
For applications made inside the United Kingdom

If you are already in the United Kingdom, you should apply to stay as soon as possible and before your current leave runs out. We encourage you to apply one month before your leave runs out."
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Just got another doubt ... while my visa expires on 02/Nov/09 and my current contract also expires before that ... on 31/Aug/09.

So, would like to take a break & visit my hometown in India and
I am planning to apply for HSMP extn on 01/Oct/09.

Is there any rule that I should be 'economically active' ( meaning i should be employed) while applying for extension?

Bcoz, this is a constraint when you are applying for ILR.

Please let me know if the same rule applies for HSMP Extension also ...

Best Regards,
Ashwath

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 pm

i think you should be fine with extension as far as you can prove earnings.. I'm not aware of any rule to be at job while applying for extension.

Not sure about ILR.

letmec2006

Age Points

Post by letmec2006 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:21 pm

I got Teir 1 General visa stamped in my PP, however I applied as a transitional arrangement with approval letter.

Now my question is, am a HSMP holder or Teir 1 holder, I am asking this because if I am Teir 1 I would get 20 points on Age but if I am HSMP I would get only 10 points.

What would be answer for the following question.

"Are you already in the United Kingdom with permission to stay as a highly skilled migrant, with an approval letter issued under the immigration rules in place from 5 December 2006?
Yes
No "

Thanks