ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Voluntary work while on HSMP?????

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MJNair

Voluntary work while on HSMP?????

Post by MJNair » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:31 am

Hi, I am working full time in the UK under the HSMP visa.
Am I allowed to take up voluntary work a few hours a week to help out at a registered charity shop?
I searched the Volunteering England website but couldn't find anything specific for hsmp holders.
Please help.

mitrkk

Post by mitrkk » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:23 am

Am not sure of how things work in this ...

but this is what I wonder..

since one doesnt get paid for Voluntary work ..shouldnt that be independent of the Visa status in the country..

am on work visa in US.. i volunteer every saturday ..no one asks for my legal status...atleast here..

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:41 am

I checked the UKBA website.
There is nothing mentioned about voluntary work under the conditions of stay for HSMP or Tier 1 holders.

For Tier 2 holders they have explicitly mentioned something about voluntary work.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... es/part6a/
245ZE. Period and conditions of grant
(iii) no employment except:
(1) working for the Sponsor in the employment that the Certificate of Sponsorship
Checking Service records that the migrant is being sponsored to do,
(2) supplementary employment, and
(3)voluntary work.

Based on this I think it is OK to do volunteer work as no restrictions are mentioned.

However, this is what I found in some volunteering websites.site.

Volunteers from non-EU countries

The general rule is that non-EU nationals need a work permit to take up "employment paid or unpaid", which includes volunteering. There are separate rules for refugees and asylum seekers (see below). Working holiday makers are permitted to volunteer. Spouses of work permit holders are allowed to volunteer.

The Home Office has made an important concession to the general rule. The concession allows people from non-EU countries to volunteer if certain conditions are met:

they volunteer with a registered charity
pocket money, board and accommodation may be provided, but no additional remuneration
the volunteer's work must be closely related to the aims of the organisation - they should be working with people rather than doing purely clerical, administrative or maintenance work (for which a work permit is required);
the volunteer may be allowed to stay in the country for a maximum of 12 months;
the volunteer must not seek or take paid employment whilsthey are here.

Can someone please comment or let me know your experiences in volunteering while on HSMP or Tier 1?

push
United Kingdom

Re: Voluntary work while on HSMP?????

Post by push » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:31 am

MJNair wrote:Hi, I am working full time in the UK under the HSMP visa.
Am I allowed to take up voluntary work a few hours a week to help out at a registered charity shop?
I searched the Volunteering England website but couldn't find anything specific for hsmp holders.
Please help.
Yes you can. There are no explicit restrictions as such. In fact as part of the proposed changes to the immigration law, HO is asking for concession in qualification period for settlement for those who undertake voluntary works in addition to their normal economic activity.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi push_hsmp, Thanks for your reply.

But doesn't the proposed changes say voluntary work once you are on Temporary Citizenship when it comes into effect? I wasn't sure about people on HSMP or tier 1 visa.

Your comments please.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:47 pm

To be really honest they dont really care if u work voluntarily for the charity or anything. It is good to do such work i myself has done it when i was student and no body asked about it whether u can work or not..

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 pm

MJNair wrote:Hi push_hsmp, Thanks for your reply.

But doesn't the proposed changes say voluntary work once you are on Temporary Citizenship when it comes into effect? I wasn't sure about people on HSMP or tier 1 visa.

Your comments please.
I guess that's still a draft proposal.
I am really not too sure, if this can be implemented properly (unlike Life in UK Test).

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 pm

MJNair wrote:Hi push_hsmp, Thanks for your reply.

Your comments please.
In fact HSMP/Tier-1 offers you a great deal of flexibility regarding what you do while in UK. So go ahead and take up the voluntary work
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:05 pm

:)
Thank you all for your responses!