ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport-Child Born to Non-EU parents

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jangs
Newly Registered

Passport-Child Born to Non-EU parents

Post by jangs » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:38 am

Hi Guys,
Need your advice regarding applying a passport for a child who was born last month.We are non-eu and I(Father) have been living and working continously from past 5 and half years, therfore my child is eligible for Irish passport. I was checking DFA website for how to apply for passport for children/infants and it says.D - Where a parent is a non national, other than an EU/EEA/Swiss national.

The child will qualify for Irish citizenship if, at the time of the birth of the child in the island of Ireland, one of his/her parents had reckonable residence in the island of Ireland during the four years immediately preceding the birth of the child. Reckonable residence is regarded as residence where he/she had been lawfully resident in the island of Ireland for a period of not less than three years, or periods the aggregate of which is three years. Periods of unlawful residence, periods of residence which were for the sole purpose of having an application for refugee status determined or periods of residence where permission was granted for the purposes of study are excluded from the determination of periods of reckonable residence.

The following documentation will be required :

- The Child's Long Form Birth Certificate.

- The Registration Card issued by the GNIB

- The Passport of that parent [The parent should also provide a detailed letter of explanation along with the passport indicating which pages contain Immigration stamps covering periods of reckonable residence].

If the Passport Office is unable to confirm the parent’s 3 years reckonable residence from the passport the parent will require to obtain a letter from GNIB, Burgh Quay, Dublin 2 setting out their residence history and confirming their reckonable residency qualification.

My question is what other documents I need to send to them so that they issue paaport without any hassle i.e. do I need to send all P60's, P21's, Letter from my employer etc etc.. .. How long do they take? and I reckon I need to send my original passport and GNIB card??

Your inputs will be highly appreciated...

Best Regards
jangs

justalad
Newly Registered

Re: Passport-Child Born to Non-EU parents

Post by justalad » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:10 pm

jangs wrote:Hi Guys,
Need your advice regarding applying a passport for a child who was born last month.jangs
Jangs,

I applied using the Passport Express service and it took 8 days to get my son's passport. All I included was my passports, the child's long birth cert and my GNIB card. I also included a cover letter that read somthing like below. No P60 or P21 or anything else is required.

I, _____________, father of _____________ born on the _______________ in Ireland, have been a legal resident in the Republic of Ireland since the ____________. I have been in full time employment since my arrival in Ireland and my permission to stay was based on work permits issued by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

Please find included two passports which contain the Immigration stamps covering my periods of legal residence in the state. Below is a table indicating which pages contain Immigration stamps.

Passport No. Page No Period To
******880 7 09/07/2001
******880 10 09/07/2002
******880 16 09/07/2003
******880 18 09/07/2004
******880 22 09/07/2005
******487 2 09/07/2006
******487 4 09/07/2007
******487 6 09/07/2008

I also include my Registation Card issued by the Garda National Immigration Bureau.

Good luck. The passport office provides a great service and I've had no hassles. I've used the passport express services several times before and the longest it took was 9 days.

jangs
Newly Registered

Post by jangs » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks a lot for the info

Jangs

pahadia
Ireland

Post by pahadia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi justalad,
Could you clarify if submitted your Original passport & GNIB card or did you send photocopies of each ?

Thanks in advance
Pahadia

jangs
Newly Registered

Post by jangs » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi pahadia,
If you send child's application for passport by post, one(Eligible parent) needs to send original passport and GNIB card, however if one goes to passport office oneself to submit the application, they normally return orginial passport and GNIB card back to the parent after going through intial checks.I took the latter path, and got my originals back straightaway.

Jangs

pahadia
Ireland

Post by pahadia » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks a lot jangs