ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Joining Umbrella Company -Any need to register Self Employed

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmp12345

Joining Umbrella Company -Any need to register Self Employed

Post by hsmp12345 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:34 am

Hi fellow members,

I am currently on HSMP initial visa (valid until Mar'2010). I intend to join an umbrella company as part of their PAYE structure for my fixed term contract assignment (6 months).

Till now, I was part of an Indian based company (wud be leaving by mid of this month). Can someone please enlighten if I require to register as self-registered with HMRC.

As per umbrella company, I don't need to register as I would be considered as employed by them. They have also agreed to provide me employment reference letter for my HSMP FLR extension.

Can someone please advise if there is any need for me to register as slf employed. Any other valuable suggestions are most welcome.

Thank You,
hsmp12345

anirban_paul
United Kingdom

Re: Joining Umbrella Company -Any need to register Self Empl

Post by anirban_paul » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:51 am

hsmp12345 wrote:Hi fellow members,

I am currently on HSMP initial visa (valid until Mar'2010). I intend to join an umbrella company as part of their PAYE structure for my fixed term contract assignment (6 months).

Till now, I was part of an Indian based company (wud be leaving by mid of this month). Can someone please enlighten if I require to register as self-registered with HMRC.

As per umbrella company, I don't need to register as I would be considered as employed by them. They have also agreed to provide me employment reference letter for my HSMP FLR extension.

Can someone please advise if there is any need for me to register as slf employed. Any other valuable suggestions are most welcome.

Thank You,
hsmp12345
Your umbrella company is right. Technically you will be employed by the umbrella company and you will get payslips from them like any other company. You do not need to register for anything.
They will provide payslips, employment refence letter, contract papers etc like any other company as they are your employer.

I am a contractor myself working under umbrella company and just got my HSMP from Post study work with their payslips+letter+contract papers. So no need to worry about anything. :)

hsmp12345

Post by hsmp12345 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:03 am

anirban_paul wrote:
Your umbrella company is right. Technically you will be employed by the umbrella company and you will get payslips from them like any other company. You do not need to register for anything.
They will provide payslips, employment refence letter, contract papers etc like any other company as they are your employer.

I am a contractor myself working under umbrella company and just got my HSMP from Post study work with their payslips+letter+contract papers. So no need to worry about anything. :)
Brilliant !!! Thanks anirban_paul

Is it the same case (no need to register as self employed) if I don't go for PAYE structure but they pay me the gross (minus their service fee). In this case I will have to file for tax later during the year. Not sure if I may be able to save on NI contribution if I file my tax as self employed (someone suggested that in this case only minimum NI needs to be payed).

Any suggestions on which would be the better option (PAYE vs Gross)?

Thanks once again,
hsmp12345

hsmp12345

Post by hsmp12345 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Brilliant !!! Thanks anirban_paul

Is it the same case (no need to register as self employed) if I don't go for PAYE structure but they pay me the gross (minus their service fee). In this case I will have to file for tax later during the year. Not sure if I may be able to save on NI contribution if I file my tax as self employed (someone suggested that in this case only minimum NI needs to be payed).

Any suggestions on which would be the better option (PAYE vs Gross)?

Thanks once again,
hsmp12345
Hi All,

Please can someone provide some inputs on my above query ?

Actually, I am bit confused between salary structures (PAYE vs Gross Payment)

Can an umbrella company pay gross invoice amount as salary (minus their service charges)

Thank You,
hsmp12345