ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rule changes to ILR

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anto999
Newly Registered

Rule changes to ILR

Post by anto999 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:35 am

Hi,

I am due for eligibility for ILR in Aug 09. But, I have heard that there are going to be changes to the period ( either 8 or 10 years) .

Is anywhere aware of such a happening/bill/ rule change.

I may be wrong here. Comments are welcomed

Regards

anto

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

ILR -

Post by The Station Agent » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:24 pm

I don't believe there will be a switch in the time it takes to get ILR on work permits / PBS work status. They just upped it from 4 to 5 years, so I can't see that changing again so soon.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:05 pm

There is talk about changing the route to becoming a citizen as far as I am aware.

anto999
Newly Registered

Post by anto999 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi,

have you guys or your friends read about these somewhere or are they just talks happening in groups/friends etc.

londoner1947
Newly Registered

Post by londoner1947 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:33 pm

There are currently no published plans to change the ILR from 5 to 8-10 years as it will be against the EU rules.

The only changes which could be effected at the end of the year might include probationary citizenship which could delay issuance of passports not ILR

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:20 pm

londoner1947 wrote:There are currently no published plans to change the ILR from 5 to 8-10 years as it will be against the EU rules.

The only changes which could be effected at the end of the year might include probationary citizenship which could delay issuance of passports not ILR
yep quite rite. nothing is been published or released they r still crying on their lost case from HSMPians.. :lol:

radar79
Newly Registered

Post by radar79 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:39 am

I heard something about this. As I understand it, the plan is to discourage ILR and encourage people to take up British citizenship. For example, after 5 years instead of qualifying for ILR you would qualify for probationary citizenship. Depending on your performance, you could be a probationary citizen for 1 - 3 years before you become a full citizen. If ultimately you don't qualify for citizenship, you may alternatively qualify for ILR.

These are just recommendations and are by no means certain yet. I read a home office booklet containing these proposals sometime last year.

mervinsx

FOR WORK PERMIT HOLDERS

Post by mervinsx » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:20 pm

Over the past many years, the UK attracted skilled migrants from all over the world through two Home Office schemes - Work Permits and HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Programme). Migrants who entered the UK under these two schemes had no recourse to public funds and had Limited Leave to Remain but they paid taxes and national insurance contributions alike any other working member of the public.

To enable long-resident migrants to setup UK as their primary residence, the Home Office promised them Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after four years of continuous residency in the UK. In April 2006, the Home Office changed this policy and increased the requirement for ILR to five years for both Work Permit and HSMP visa holders and retrospectively applied this change, for those who were already in the UK.

On 6th April 2009, HSMP Forum Ltd won a Judicial Review, requesting the Home Office to reinstate the original ILR conditions for all pre-April 2006 HSMP visa holders.

The Work Permit scheme was also a route to ILR and a petition has been submitted to the Prime Minister to reinstate the original ILR conditions for all pre-April 2006 Work Permit holders:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/workpermit-ilr

Please sign the above petition and forward to your family and friends - this petition can be signed by any national residing in the UK.

On behalf of Work Permit Forum
www.wpforumltd.com

tom_hungston

Re: FOR WORK PERMIT HOLDERS

Post by tom_hungston » Fri May 01, 2009 10:19 am

Thanks for providing such a valuable information about this petition on this board. I've passed to five more WP holders that I know. Cheers dude

mervinsx wrote:Over the past many years, the UK attracted skilled migrants from all over the world through two Home Office schemes - Work Permits and HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Programme). Migrants who entered the UK under these two schemes had no recourse to public funds and had Limited Leave to Remain but they paid taxes and national insurance contributions alike any other working member of the public.

To enable long-resident migrants to setup UK as their primary residence, the Home Office promised them Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after four years of continuous residency in the UK. In April 2006, the Home Office changed this policy and increased the requirement for ILR to five years for both Work Permit and HSMP visa holders and retrospectively applied this change, for those who were already in the UK.

On 6th April 2009, HSMP Forum Ltd won a Judicial Review, requesting the Home Office to reinstate the original ILR conditions for all pre-April 2006 HSMP visa holders.

The Work Permit scheme was also a route to ILR and a petition has been submitted to the Prime Minister to reinstate the original ILR conditions for all pre-April 2006 Work Permit holders:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/workpermit-ilr

Please sign the above petition and forward to your family and friends - this petition can be signed by any national residing in the UK.

On behalf of Work Permit Forum
www.wpforumltd.com

ced
Newly Registered

You might apply for ILR after 4 years if you...

Post by ced » Wed May 13, 2009 5:43 pm

You might apply for ILR after 4 years if you entered country before April 2006.

Check here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=39174

and sign a petition.