ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Incorrect Date for Out of Time Appeal/Can I travel now??

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Emily C
Newly Registered

Incorrect Date for Out of Time Appeal/Can I travel now??

Post by Emily C » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Hello All,

I applied for a PSW permit on 30th January, student visa ran out on 31st January 2009.
Of course, like so many others, my maintenance fees were the problem, they went down to 759 for one day, and HO refused my application because of this. However, from reading this forum I found that I could submit funds from another account I held, which would bring my funds up to 800 on the one day I went down. So it is on this basis that I have submitted my appeal, faxed and posted overnight on 31st March, with my appeal deadline of 1st April (given to me by HO).
On Friday 3rd April I got a letter from the AIT saying that my appeal was received after 25th March, and so was considered out of time. I wrote down and provided all the evidence showing that my deadline was given to me as 1st April and showing that I had submitted my appeal before this deadline (I included post office receipts, fax confirmation, anything I could think of, as well as a very detailed letter) and sent this onto the AIT on 4th April.
Has this happened to anyone else?? From you wise people out there who have dealt with the HO and AIT before, does it sound like my appeal will be turned down?
Another question: Am I allowed to travel outside the UK now? I asked the AIT this and the man I spoke to said he did not think it would be a problem- but I am suspicious....

Thanks to any and all for your advice, and good luck and patience to those awaiting a decision from the HO and AIT.

Best,
Emily

jack199
Member of Standing

Re: Incorrect Date for Out of Time Appeal/Can I travel now??

Post by jack199 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 pm

Emily C wrote:Hello All,

I applied for a PSW permit on 30th January, student visa ran out on 31st January 2009.
Of course, like so many others, my maintenance fees were the problem, they went down to 759 for one day, and HO refused my application because of this. However, from reading this forum I found that I could submit funds from another account I held, which would bring my funds up to 800 on the one day I went down. So it is on this basis that I have submitted my appeal, faxed and posted overnight on 31st March, with my appeal deadline of 1st April (given to me by HO).
On Friday 3rd April I got a letter from the AIT saying that my appeal was received after 25th March, and so was considered out of time. I wrote down and provided all the evidence showing that my deadline was given to me as 1st April and showing that I had submitted my appeal before this deadline (I included post office receipts, fax confirmation, anything I could think of, as well as a very detailed letter) and sent this onto the AIT on 4th April.
Has this happened to anyone else?? From you wise people out there who have dealt with the HO and AIT before, does it sound like my appeal will be turned down?
Another question: Am I allowed to travel outside the UK now? I asked the AIT this and the man I spoke to said he did not think it would be a problem- but I am suspicious....

Thanks to any and all for your advice, and good luck and patience to those awaiting a decision from the HO and AIT.

Best,
Emily
Sounds like you need a good lawyer. Please get some legal help.

vinny

Re: Incorrect Date for Out of Time Appeal/Can I travel now??

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:27 am

Emily C wrote: Another question: Am I allowed to travel outside the UK now? I asked the AIT this and the man I spoke to said he did not think it would be a problem- but I am suspicious....
18. Leaving the UK temporarily wrote:If you leave the country it is possible that your appeal could be considered to be abandoned, depending on the legislation involved.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Emily C
Newly Registered

Post by Emily C » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks Jack and Vinny for your replies.

I have been told by the AIT that my letter explaining the HO is in error has been sent to the AIT judge... so I will just have to wait and see. I feel that as they are in the wrong, they will realise it, as I have provided a copy of the original form that the HO sent me saying that my deadline was 1st April.
I know this sounds stupid, but I really refuse to shell out the money for a lawyer when this is the HO's/AIT's error. In addition to this I have already submitted my notice of appeal, so I am not sure what help a lawyer would give me at this point!
If I have to leave the UK, so be it, I really have had enough of the hassle to try to stay here. Thanks for your advice though!! I realy appreciate it.

Best of luck
Emily

Diokpa
Member of Standing

Post by Diokpa » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Emily C wrote:Thanks Jack and Vinny for your replies.

I have been told by the AIT that my letter explaining the HO is in error has been sent to the AIT judge... so I will just have to wait and see. I feel that as they are in the wrong, they will realise it, as I have provided a copy of the original form that the HO sent me saying that my deadline was 1st April.
I know this sounds stupid, but I really refuse to shell out the money for a lawyer when this is the HO's/AIT's error. In addition to this I have already submitted my notice of appeal, so I am not sure what help a lawyer would give me at this point!
If I have to leave the UK, so be it, I really have had enough of the hassle to try to stay here. Thanks for your advice though!! I realy appreciate it.

Best of luck
Emily
I do not think you'll have any problem as long as you sent it in within 10 working days but I think you'll need a lenient judge to allow the appeal. It is a long process though especially after the appeal has been allowed, but all the best and hope it swings in your favour. You need a lot of patience to deal with this side of things. Good Luck.
We are all pencils in the hand of our creator~ Unknown

Emily C
Newly Registered

Post by Emily C » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:56 pm

Just as an update to anyone who is interested: I received a letter from the AIT on Saturday which said: "The Duty Judge has now reviewed the appeal and finds that it was lodged in time. The appeal is proceeding accordingly". So, no apology or anything for their mistake (i know i know, who am I kidding expecting an apology from the HO or AIT), but at least they are considering my appeal now!
Fingers crossed that I will be granted leave to stay and work... I will let you know either way.

Thanks to all, and good luck!!!

Emily