ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP Interviews

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

unixguru
Newly Registered

HSMP Interviews

Post by unixguru » Thu May 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Just a quick note I have been reading this board for a few months and I really appreciate the honesty and time spent from the moderators. When I get to UK will take any all out for a beer.

Question: 1
Is there a way to speed up the HSMP application turnaround?

I have just applied for my HSMP and so far have 13 interviews setup and 1 verbal contract committed (On their part).

Question: 2

I have heard the term "downgraded points" how and when does HO decide to do this?

US National

Bachelors in CS (US University) - 15
Salary $105,000 (US) - 25
Senior Unix Administrator ( 5 years Senior) - 50
Achievement - Received SUN Oacis award - 15

I submitted all documentation for each.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Thu May 06, 2004 4:23 pm

A job offer speeds up processing but they will only consider it after your application has been with them for a minimum time period (used to be 4 weeks, not sure how long it is now). I suppose you would have to have more than a verbal offer though, try getting it in writing.

They downgrade points if you don't provide enough evidence of your claims and in the case of education if it's not equivalent to a british degree. In the case of seniority, the guidance notes gives advice on what is considered by them to be seniority.
'In everything give thanks'

darikusa

Post by darikusa » Thu May 06, 2004 4:24 pm

In case of a job offer, the time period is now 6 weeks

Mini
Member of Standing

Post by Mini » Sat May 29, 2004 11:12 am

i had a job offer which i attached alongwith the application. Will my application turnaround time be be reduced ?

Should i have hung on to it and submitted the same after 6 weeks ??

Can I fax it again after 6 weeks for urgent treatment. The offer states 1st aug joining date.
Mini

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Sat May 29, 2004 11:21 am

Yes, you should fax the same. then only case will be treated urgently.

TF

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Sat May 29, 2004 12:09 pm

Uinxguru

Congratulations on your verbal offer and postive leads. You will get your HSMP approved based on the information provided. After six weeks, fax the offer letter , give a follw- up call to make sure your file goes to the front of the queue.

Regarding job search, can you suggest me websties/agents to contact with ? I presume you get up early in the morning (little better after daylight savings). I am also in same boat like you.

Your response is highly aprreciated.

unixguru
Newly Registered

Leads to Agencies

Post by unixguru » Sat May 29, 2004 12:54 pm

I may have been somewaht lucky but I have had no less than 20 phone interviews. I now have 4 firm offers. For the last 2 months I have sifted through the job world in London and have found that most of my contacts have come from 4 major sites.

www.planetrecruit.com
www.jobserv.com
www.jobsite.co.uk
www.cwjobs.co.uk

Avoid the CV posting services, also I suggest a website for your CV. I can create a freesite for you if need be (no cost). Different sites seem to be focused to different specialities.

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Sat May 29, 2004 3:18 pm

Unixguru

Thanks for your reply and offer for a free website. I am career IT contractor/consulatant and interested contract jobs.

Did you manage to get any contract work ? if yes, do they ask to come on aboard in 2 weeks. please reply.

I saw your other thread on your application for British passport. Good luck.

unixguru
Newly Registered

Contracts

Post by unixguru » Sat May 29, 2004 3:28 pm

Most of the jobs I have been iterviewing for are contract. I have 2 contract offers and 2 permanent positions. The usual questions are what is your availability? What is your notice period? What is your status in the UK?

The contracting game in the UK is a little bit different than in the US. Contracts are actually contracts in the UK. In the US they are more of the employment at will scanario. My cousin who is a contractor in the UK explained this to me that you are legally bound to fufill your contract and follow all items in the contract. Usually to be let out of a contract requires an extended notice.

tech
Member of Standing

contracts in UK

Post by tech » Sat May 29, 2004 3:59 pm

Thanks.

Do I need change my resume to CV format to stand a better chance ?

I have read from other posts that short initial duration of HSMP posing problems in getting permanent position despite detailed explanation given out by job seekers on extending visa after 1 year .

If I ask for 3/ 4 weeks to come on board , can i still get thru ( to move and winding up things here)

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I also feel if you mention your eligibilty for British passport, You are as good as any EU candiate from immigration standpoint.

unixguru
Newly Registered

Contracting

Post by unixguru » Sat May 29, 2004 4:16 pm

Definitely change your resume to CV. The term resume is not very common among UK agencies. I actually have 9 different CV's available to send to prospective employers. After chatting with the agency I can better guage which one to send. From my experience most of the positions posted are usually to be filled within 30 days of there initial offering. So 3 to 4 weeks is not out of the question. If you are readily employable here, expect to be employable in the UK, although the market is a bit saturated at present but it is getting much better. I would start to get everything buttoneed up as tight as possible for the move except the job. I think a good estimate for a good techie is about 2 months to find a good job.

The major problem with HSMP IMHO is most UK companies do alot of mainland Europe business and travel to and from EU is required for most senior tech positions.

It is my understanding that this is not possible with HSMP.

tech
Member of Standing

contracts

Post by tech » Sat May 29, 2004 5:04 pm

Unixguru

Thanks for important information on travel requirements. I initally thought
ability to travel across EUROPE is mostly applicable for permanent postions. It looks like its mostly required for Sofware Architects, Infrastructure architects, Project managers.

Have you tried consulting firms ? They operate along the same the lines as their US counterparts with option for hourly rate or salary. (both types
companies -one's that manage enitre projects and do the candidate placement).

Since you are very senior person, I Strongly feel you can make more money by taking up infrastructure architecture /administration projects
from firms with proven track record.

Do they specify travel requirements in the job description or is it spelled out clearly only in the offer letter/contract.

unixguru
Newly Registered

Contracts

Post by unixguru » Sat May 29, 2004 5:13 pm

When speaking to an agency always ask for a job description. The agencies work and advertise from what the company gives them. But the agencies don't always print exactly what they receive from the firm doin the hiring.

Most contracts are not done by hour but by the day. Which should be clarified with the agency before hand. Also The work day is not clearly defined in the contract world. Make sure you find out how many hours they are expecting for the daily rate. I have been quoted from 8 to 12 hours per day for a daily rate. Also get clarification on all bonuses offererd car, phone, on-call pay, milage etc ...