ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Time line

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bhavna

Naturalisation Time line

Post by bhavna » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:34 am

Can board members please share
- how much time it took for their naturalisation to get approved
- what method they applied: NCS or post
- Are they still awaiting the decision

Cheers

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:52 pm

I applied back in June via regular post. I am on week 7 now, and so far heard nothing from the home-office.

I was told that it typically takes 2 months for case-workers to start working on cases that they receive by mail.

NSC is the fast track in my opinion, I would recommend using it if you haven't started to apply yet. I heard a recent approval from another site within 5 business days! :shock: - yes, it can be that fast.

Current waiting time is 6 months, but I think it takes lot faster than that these days. Although I heard summer is a busy time for the NAtionality Group, because of employees work overload.

Good luck

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:55 pm

The IND website is now saying an average waiting time of :-
Naturalisation 4.18 months
-: and that has come down a lot.

When my wife applied in April 2004 the average wait time was stated to be 7 months. However she received the "application successful" letter after just 5 weeks.
John

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:13 pm

That's really interesting. I think it still says 6 months when you call the Nationality Group hotline. Any idea when this changed?

Thanks for the update John! :)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:29 pm

Sorry I should have provided the link to this IND webpage which quotes that 4.18 months for naturalisation .... about half-way down that long page.

When did it change? I have not kept a record of what that webpage has been saying but I do recollect that the numbers relating to waiting time have been dropping steadily. And long may it continue! A target of 90% dealt with within 3 weeks would be good! :D

Seriously I expect the waiting time to continue to fall, especially after the Nationality Checking Service is rolled out to all parts of the country. When that happens the office in Liverpool will not be bothered needing to deal with applications not supported by the required documents.
John

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:21 pm

bhavna,

A friend applied NCS Brent 24 June 05. Approval came through in 3 weeks and citizenship ceremony 5 August 05.

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:17 pm

John wrote: Seriously I expect the waiting time to continue to fall, especially after the Nationality Checking Service is rolled out to all parts of the country. When that happens the office in Liverpool will not be bothered needing to deal with applications not supported by the required documents.
I am officially on week 8 now since my application was sent, this is encouraging piece of information John. :D

Any day now (I hope).

Thanks again

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:25 pm

John wrote:
-: and that has come down a lot.
Folks, the average waiting time has probably come down because the applications going through the NCS are so fast. Unfortunately, this does not mean the postal application times have changed at all; they could even have increased!

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:57 pm

sfgirl wrote: Unfortunately, this does not mean the postal application times have changed at all; they could even have increased!
If the number of postal applications are going down because of the NSC, how is it possible their average time is going up? it doesn't make sense.

:)

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:36 pm

My point is all about the math. If the IND website is referring to postal applications only - not including applications through the NCS - then waiting times are going down. Happy days!

If, on the other hand, their figures include applications through NCS then their average turn around time will necessarily decrease because the NCS times are on the order of weeks whereas the postal times are in many months.

I'm probably too cynical, it just that NHS waiting lists come to mind...

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:58 pm

Now that makes sense. :)

A recent reported averages on (postal) naturalization from people who shared their experiences online were about 7-10 weeks (or about 2.5 months), not more.

So surely it's the begining of happy times if that tends to be the real trend. Please, keep us updated if you hear/find recent approvals.

Thanks

- mo

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:08 pm

Good stuff. I hope it's truly down. I applied in Feb. 2004 and didn't get approved until November 2004 although it was completely straight forward. I came on a work permit, then ILR, with continuous employment with the same employer.

Of course, it probably didn't help that because I live in Northern Ireland I had to do my own police check. I'm not joking; IND wrote to me and requested that I contact the Police Service of Northern Ireland and ask them to forward my police record (or lack of) to IND (and pay the £10 for this service).

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:26 am

You know, I am glad your brought up that Police report issue.

I ordered my police report few months before I filed for naturalization, paid the £10 fee too, and decided to include it with my naturalization application once I received it. I didn't find anywhere saying you are required to submit one, but did it anyways, thinking it will make the process faster, which obviously didn't work.

Now, I fear it will delay the process. :(

At what stage during your process did the IND ask for a police report?

Thanks

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:39 am

Where are you located? I'm not sure but I would think that in Britain the IND have a link to the police and hence handle the "good character" aspect on their own.

NI is part of the UK but not Britain (England, Scotland, and Wales) and there are lots of anomalies, for example until a year or so ago a person getting a person getting a fixed penalty notice in Britain wouldn't get points on their NI license!

In my case, they asked for the police check about 2 months before they approved the application. I would guess that a month of the interval between their request and the approval was them waiting for the report.

I doubt that you including a police report has any relevance at all. When they get to the point that they're interested, they'll either get on the computer (or if you're in NI) write to you.

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:09 pm

I am in London, I added the police report just to see if it will move things faster, completly my wish to do so. Although, IND might think including one itself is considered a good character. :D

Thanks for the info.

anonymous10
Newly Registered

Post by anonymous10 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:55 pm

I applied for my naturalisation in January. It took just six weeks to get the approval letter. I had applied by post.

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:21 pm

Dear All,

Does it take some time as well to get the invitation ceremony invitation letter after the approval letter?

Cheers

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:30 pm

bhavna

Someone posted the following timeline on another immigration forum, hope it helps:

22nd June - Checking Service appointment (Redbridge Council)
02nd July - Received letter of approval and original college certificates
back! Was contacted a few days later about the citizenship ceremony.
03rd August - Citizenship Ceremony date

- mo

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:13 pm

When I got my approval it included a phone number for the agency running the citizenship ceremony with information that I had to contact them and arrange the date. They had two dates available within the 3 month period, I chose one and they sent me a form for me to sign confirming that date, whether I would swear or affirm the oath, and the number of guests I would bring.

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:07 pm

hello sfgirl,

do they normally send it via recored delivery?

Cheers

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:51 pm

Can a one request to choose their own oath ceremony date? I heard it's possible with a special fee.

Any ideas?

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:16 pm

hello mo,
have you recieved your approval letter?
Cheers

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:40 pm

bhavna

No, I didn't. I was just wondering if such option was available.

Congrats for I receiving the approval letter, I read on americanexpats that you did few days back, but not the ceremony invitation. I hope you get it soon.

When did you initially apply for Naturalization?

Thanks

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:59 pm

Dear Mo,

Thanks. I applied about 2.5 weeks back.

All the best for your application.

Cheers

Mo007

Post by Mo007 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:58 pm

bhavna

was it through via postal or service center?