ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does my wife needs a visa to France?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mruffess
Newly Registered

Does my wife needs a visa to France?

Post by mruffess » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi,

I'm a British citizen married to an Algerian wife and we have two children both British but my wife doesn't have a British passport , she has a leave to remain (residency) since 2007.

We are traveling to Tunisia by car and we will be going throw France, does my wife needs a visa to enter France?

Thanking you in advance,
Mruffess

bani

Post by bani » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:32 pm

French embassy website will answer your question --

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Do-you-nee ... sa-to.html

mruffess
Newly Registered

Post by mruffess » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks Bani but here's what the french consulate are saying "Note as from March 2009, The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding a valid travel document, a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" and if they are meeting up or travelling with the EU national. If you do not meet the set criteria, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France and both the spouse’s valid EU passport AND the marriage certificate are requested. However, you may apply for a short stay Schengen visa, i.e. pay the visa administrative fees and provide all requested documents."

I cannot understand the following:

with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" what does that mean?

thanks mate

bani

Post by bani » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 pm

that is the visa a spouse of an EU/EEA national would hold. I guess since you are British, your wife has a "spouse visa"? I don't think she would need a Schengen visa to travel through France with you, but you can contact the French embassy just in case (since this is a new rule). They might even have an email address on their website. Good luck, hope she doesn't have to go through the hassle of getting a visa.
mruffess wrote:Thanks Bani but here's what the french consulate are saying "Note as from March 2009, The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding a valid travel document, a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" and if they are meeting up or travelling with the EU national. If you do not meet the set criteria, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France and both the spouse’s valid EU passport AND the marriage certificate are requested. However, you may apply for a short stay Schengen visa, i.e. pay the visa administrative fees and provide all requested documents."

I cannot understand the following:

with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" what does that mean?

thanks mate

freon21

Re: Does my wife needs a visa to France?

Post by freon21 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:55 pm

mruffess wrote:Hi,

I'm a British citizen married to an Algerian wife and we have two children both British but my wife doesn't have a British passport , she has a leave to remain (residency) since 2007.

We are traveling to Tunisia by car and we will be going throw France, does my wife needs a visa to enter France?

Thanking you in advance,
Mruffess
your wife does need a visa to enter France.
As a spouse of a uk citizen the visa should be issued free of charge and as soon as possible.
Your wife is not holder of a residence card of a non EEA family member of a EEA citizen but of ILR and cannot benefit of the right of entry into another member state without visa sorry.

T_mahmood
Member of Standing

Re: Does my wife needs a visa to France?

Post by T_mahmood » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:10 pm

She does not a visa even though the husband is EU national. She would be judged by her nationality and only benefit she could have is that she would not pay the visa fee.

mruffess wrote:Hi,

Thanking you in advance,
Mruffess
Thinking low is crime....

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:19 pm

mruffess wrote:with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" what does that mean?
That is the text printed on the sticker in the passport. The exact text should be "Residence Card of a family Member of an EEA National" and looks like this (found at http://www.netherlands-embassy.org.uk/p ... .php?i=261)

mruffess
Newly Registered

Post by mruffess » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:53 pm

thank you very much guys now I know that they have deferente type of visas but never mind all I have to do now is call the french consulate with £1 a minute and get an appointment that's what happened when you marry someone from the third world they get treated differently!!

bani

Post by bani » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:50 pm

mruffess wrote:thank you very much guys now I know that they have deferente type of visas but never mind all I have to do now is call the french consulate with £1 a minute and get an appointment that's what happened when you marry someone from the third world they get treated differently!!
you can book an appointment online for free. just look on the left hand side of the link I posted. Go to Visas and Appointments.

Good luck!