ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Citizen overstaying 90 day limit in Europe

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lesfaye
Newly Registered

EU Citizen overstaying 90 day limit in Europe

Post by Lesfaye » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:27 pm

Ok If I understand this right, if you are an EU citizen you can overstay the 90 day Schengan limit in Schengan countries? If you want to stay longer somewhere you can go to the embassy or whatever and say I want to stay longer in your country and as a spouse of an EU citizen even though I am American I can stay with him. My husband and I want to stay in Greece for 4 months and we are concerned about doing the right thing here.
Thanks!

gani999

Post by gani999 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:00 am

If you are an EU citizen, you can stay in the Schenegan area for any length of time, as long as you don't ask for unemployment money or welfare payments.

If you are the non-EU spouse of an EU national, you still need a staying permit though.

Lesfaye
Newly Registered

Post by Lesfaye » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:24 pm

Are you sure about that? I thought as a spouse of a EU national I would be ok without a visa, that seems a bit strange. So if we have kids than I and the kids would have to get a visa and my husband not? Not really treating you as a family then are they? I wil have to look at this further.

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:27 pm

Gani999 is right, an EU citizen doesn't have a time limit on their stay or need any type of visa, a non-EU spouse does.

I have been looking into Schengan visas so my husband and I can visit Greece. As a British Citizen I do not need any type of visa to travel to an EU country, though if staying a while think some countries ask you to register with the police as a resident (not sure if Greece is one of these).

My husband, as a citizen of a non-EU country requires a Schengen visa which will be valid for a maximum of 6 months from date of issue for single or multiple entries of a maximum of 90 days in total. Don't think it is possible to get one that lasts for any longer. Good news is, it is free to spouses of EU citizens. You have to apply through the Greek Embassy in London and they operate an appointments service so you can't just turn up and get one stuck in your passport the same day. Think it takes a week or two to get an appointment and a further week or so to receive your passport back. Have to fill in an application form, take yours and your husbands passports, marriage certificate, etc. They have a website http://www.greekembassy.org.uk, look in the consular section.

In regard to future children it would depend on their nationality, if they have British citizenship (?? - you don't say what country your husband is from) then as EU citizens they don't need a visa, if you apply for British citizenship in the future you also won't need to apply for visas every time you want to travel to Europe, and can live and work in any country in Europe with no restrictions.

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:01 pm

Actually, as an American, think you don't need a visa at all for a stay of less than 90 days.