ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cover Letter...Review please

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Visa_Novice

Cover Letter...Review please

Post by Visa_Novice » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:21 pm

I have applied for WP-tier1 incountry on 26 March 09.
I have given following Cover Letter with my application. Kindly have a look on it and let me know if you feel any thing wrong. Open to discuss any query.
If you find it ok then it can be used by other members as a template for their cover letter
Could any body please verify specially my earnings table .
23 March, 2009

Sub: Application for Tier 1 (General) Highly skilled worker

To,
The Assessing Officer
Dear Sir/Madam,
Greetings,
I, XYZ, wish to switch into ‘Tier 1 (General) - Highly skilled worker’ visa of the Points Based System (PBS) from work permit that I currently hold. I also wish to apply for dependent visa for my spouse along with my application. I have claimed the following points on a self evaluation basis using the ‘Self Assessment Tool’ available on the agency website and have enclosed the printout with this application to verify the points claimed.
- 75 points in Attributes section
- 10 points for English requirement
- 10 points for maintenance funds

I have worked in UK (for 11 Months) as Software Test Engineer with Mata Consultancy Services.
Following is the list of documents provided along with my application.
1. Age Assessment – 20 points claimed
Document(s) provided:
• Original Passport stating date of birth

2. Qualification – 30 points claimed
I hold a bachelors degree of Engineering (4 years) from Narain Vyas University (2001-2005). Both my university and Bachelors degree are recognized by the ‘Self Assessment Tool’.
Document(s) provided:
• Original Degree certificate.
• Original 4 years Degree Mark sheets.

University Contact Details:-
Smt. ABC XYZ
Registrar,
Narain Vyas University,
Mohanpura Overbridge,
Ratanada, Jodhpur, Rajasthan,
India
Ph: +91-291-$$$$$$$
E-mail: ***@***.com

3. Previous Earnings – 20 points claimed
Period claimed -> 01-04-2008 to 28-02-2009 (11 Months)
I have worked in United Kingdom during the above period while being with Mata Consultancy Services.
I am claiming previous earnings based on the gross salary in my pay slip. The online points calculator (please see attached print out) handles this automatically. (Please see earnings table below also)

Document(s) provided:
• Payslips : 11 Months Salary slips for the period 01-04-2008 to 28-02-2009 showing gross and net salary per month.
• Personal bank statements: Official HSBC Bank statements for the 11 months claimed showing net salary credited into my HSBC account number -> $$$$$$56. Net Salary paid is highlighted on the bank statement as well as on the salary slips.

Earnings table (01-04-2008 to 28-02-2009) :

Month/Gross Earnings/Net Pay/Amount deposited in bank/Date on which amount has been deposited in bank/Remarks
Apr-08/3570.34/659.54/1124.54/ 13-May-08
May-08/1956.2/465/13-May-08/ Salary has been deposited together for both of the months
Jun-08 1956.2 1565 1565 30-May-08
Jul-08 2060.08 1648.08 1565 30-Jun-08
Aug-08 2896.7 1935 1748.08 30-Jul-08
Sep-08 1495 1800 2070 28-Aug-08
Oct-08 2250.97 1800 1800 30-Sep-08
The difference in net pay on payslips with those on bank statements(For Jun, July, Aug, Sep) is due to my promotion in July 2008. The salary credited was a result of the necessary adjustments required.
Nov-08 2464.24 1800 1800 29-Oct-08
Dec-08 2261.36 1800 1800 02-Dec-08
Jan-09 1061.15 218.39 218.39 27-Jan-09
Feb-09 2484.86 806.85 806.85 26-Feb-09
Total 24457.1 14497.9 14497.86

My gross earnings in pounds sterling for the full period of my claim (01-04-2008 to 28-02-2009) comes to £ 24461.1 .
This is in the range of earnings between £23,000 - £25,999 and as per the tier1 guidance document; I have claimed 20 points for this.

Employer contact details:
Ms. XXX XXX XXX,
Asst. Manager – Accounts & Administration
Mata Consultancy Services
Suite 10.01, 6th Floor,
1 Exchange Tower,
Pine tree Road,
London,
T$$ 8XX,
UK
Tel: +44-20-XXXX-XXXX; +44-20-XXXX-XXXX
Fax: +44-20-XXXX-XXXX
Mobile: +44-XXXXXXXXXX
Email: XXX@XXXX.com

Bank contact details:
HSBC Bank,
Bank
London
O$$ 9XX
Tel: 0XXXXXXXX
Fax: 020XXXXXXXX

4. UK Experience– 5 points claimed
I have previous earnings from a job that I have got in the United Kingdom. So based on that I want to claim 5 points. I am currently working on the same job.

5. English Language Requirement– 10 points claimed
I have claimed 10 points under the category ‘English Language Test’. I have a qualification that was taught in English. As per points-based calculator I shall be able to select my qualification only if my qualification does meet the English language requirement. Since I am able to select my qualification from the database and I am able to select my qualification in English Language section of point base calculator so I would like to claim 10 points for English Language Requirement.
Document(s) provided:
• Original Degree certificate .

6. Maintenance Funds – 10 points claimed
I am applying for one dependent as well along with my application. I have entered in UK on 20-Mar-2008. I have lived in UK for more than 12 months (Immigration stamp on my passport can be used to verify it. My port of entry was Heathrow Airport, London). I am providing maintenance proof for me and my dependent along. I have maintained maintenance funds for myself and my dependent in my HSBC bank account number XXXXXX64 for last 3 months (10-12-2008 to 23-03-2009). This account is different from the account where I receive my salary.

Salary credited in account: HSBC account number XXXXXX56
Maintenance funds can be seen in HSBC account number XXXXXX64

Document(s) provided:

• Bank statements on HSBC bank letter head covering the last 3 months immediately prior to this application (10-12-2008 to 23-03-2009). I have maintained minimum balance of £ 1333 to claim points Maintenance funds for myself (£ 800) and my wife (£ 533).

Minimum balance maintained by me in the last 3 months is more than £ 2700 on any given day, which is sufficiently above the minimum requirement of £ 1333.

Bank contact details:
HSBC Bank,
Bank
London
O$$ 9XX
Tel: 0XXXXXXXX
Fax: 020XXXXXXXX

I have also attached tier-1 dependent application of my spouse along with the following documents:
1) Original passport of dependent.
2) Original marriage certificate.
3) National Insurance Number card of my wife.
4) 2 dependent photographs as per photo guideline.

Additional Documents and Information:
I am attaching some additional documents which can be referred to in case of any doubt. These are as under -
1) Original UK Work permit letter and Visa extensions I had in the past.
2) Point based calculator result printouts.

I have attached all the papers/documents in support of my application as required according to the application checklist. I would very much appreciate if you consider my application for the ‘Tier 1 (General) highly skilled worker’ and approve accordingly at the earliest.

I trust the information I have provided above is satisfactory, however if you have any questions or queries or require additional information regarding any aspect of the application, please do not hesitate to contact me on +44-XXXXX-XXXXX(Mobile - Full time), +44-20-XXXX-XXXX (work, 9 AM-5 PM) or alternatively via email abcxyz@gmail.com (personal), abc.xyz@yyy.com (work).

Thanking you.
Yours faithfully,

Abc xyz
Date 23-03-2009

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:03 pm

In one of your post, I thought you mention that your English wasn't good. This looks more than perfect !! Good luck
x

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:03 pm

Quick Question - Are you suppose to send this letter as MUST ?? I never sent any when I switched from Student to TIER 1 ??
x

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:07 pm

raxs1983 wrote:Quick Question - Are you suppose to send this letter as MUST ?? I never sent any when I switched from Student to TIER 1 ??
x
No but it helps in (1) bringing out the salient points of your application and secondly properly indexing the evidence. Most of the applicants have some peculiarity about their applications which can be explained in the cover letter.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

Visa_Novice

Post by Visa_Novice » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:07 pm

raxs1983 wrote:
In one of your post, I thought you mention that your English wasn't good. This looks more than perfect !! Good luck
Thnks but this is wht I hve got after review from my friends.
Could any body please verify specially my earnings table please.
Thanks

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:11 am

Visa_Novice wrote:raxs1983 wrote:
Thnks but this is wht I hve got after review from my friends.
Could any body please verify specially my earnings table please.
Thanks
The net salary in some of the months is different from that deposited to your account. The bank statements therefore do not corroborate the salary slips. Although you have provided some explanation it still does not explain why the amount credited in the bank is less than the net salary on the pay slips for the corresponding month.
regards,
push

Visa_Novice

Post by Visa_Novice » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:02 am

The net salary in some of the months is different from that deposited to your account. The bank statements therefore do not corroborate the salary slips. Although you have provided some explanation it still does not explain why the amount credited in the bank is less than the net salary on the pay slips for the corresponding month.
Even if there is a difference in the amount paid in my bank account and net salary in my pay slip for some of the months but it has been adjusted in coming months. And at the end total net pay of my all salary slips matches with the total amount deposited in my bank account. Is that enough proof ? I have written why there is a difference in some of the months. For example there is a difference in Jul, Aug and Sep months but total net pay in payslip and total amount deposited in bank for these months are same. Is it enough ? Can case worker reject my application based on that ? Will they enquire to my employer first or straight away reject my application ? Shall I get a letter from my employer for this table with the same explanation ? Kindly advice

Thanks

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:18 am

raxs1983 wrote:Quick Question - Are you suppose to send this letter as MUST ?? I never sent any when I switched from Student to TIER 1 ??
x
I never sent it either but instead i sent INDEX with DESCRIPTION where i point out the page number and description of everything like my salary, education and maintenance ..

Visa_Novice

Post by Visa_Novice » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:38 am

Could any body please reply to my last query.
Thanks

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Visa_Novice wrote:
Even if there is a difference in the amount paid in my bank account and net salary in my pay slip for some of the months but it has been adjusted in coming months. And at the end total net pay of my all salary slips matches with the total amount deposited in my bank account. Is that enough proof ? I have written why there is a difference in some of the months. For example there is a difference in Jul, Aug and Sep months but total net pay in payslip and total amount deposited in bank for these months are same. Is it enough ? Can case worker reject my application based on that ? Will they enquire to my employer first or straight away reject my application ? Shall I get a letter from my employer for this table with the same explanation ? Kindly advice

Thanks
Dont expect the caseworker to carry out calculations to ascertain the adjustments. If a particular salary slip shows a certain net amount, the same should be credited in the bank (which is what the purpose behind seeking two pieces of mutually corroborating evidences is). I doubt that the apparent discrepency will be ignored by the case worker based on a simple explanation by you. I mean, if you earned a particular amount in a month why a lesser amount has been deposited in the Bank? Any answers to that? I would be a nervous person submitting such an evidence.
regards,
push

Visa_Novice

Post by Visa_Novice » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Dont expect the caseworker to carry out calculations to ascertain the adjustments. If a particular salary slip shows a certain net amount, the same should be credited in the bank (which is what the purpose behind seeking two pieces of mutually corroborating evidences is). I doubt that the apparent discrepency will be ignored by the case worker based on a simple explanation by you. I mean, if you earned a particular amount in a month why a lesser amount has been deposited in the Bank? Any answers to that? I would be a nervous person submitting such an evidence.
There are two things happening in our company:
1) Salary credit in bank account at the start of the month(salary paid in advance).
2) Generate the payslip at the end of the month.

For example salary for July month will be paid in June last week of July first week while payslip of July month will be generated in July last week of August first week.

I have got promotion in July and my wife has also joined me in July in UK. Our company pays spouse allowance and my salary has been increased due to my promotion.
Since salary has been creadited in advance for the month so it can not take care of any promotion and spouse allowance. While payslip has been generated at the end of the month so payslip has included that amount. After I received my promotion letter in July first week our company informed accounts department to credit the salary in my account in next months salary.
So my remaining salary and spouse allowance has been adjusted in next months salary. So for coming months (August and September) Payslip has remain constant while remaining amount of July has been paid.
That is why there is a variation in my bank statement and payslip for these three month. The total net pay received by me for these three months is equalivent to the amount deposited in my bank for these three months.

I have not written this detailed story in my cover letter(Cover letter is at the start of the post) .
Please advice what shall I do ?

Thanks...

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Visa_Novice wrote:
There are two things happening in our company:
1) Salary credit in bank account at the start of the month(salary paid in advance).
2) Generate the payslip at the end of the month.

For example salary for July month will be paid in June last week of July first week while payslip of July month will be generated in July last week of August first week.

I have got promotion in July and my wife has also joined me in July in UK. Our company pays spouse allowance and my salary has been increased due to my promotion.
Since salary has been creadited in advance for the month so it can not take care of any promotion and spouse allowance. While payslip has been generated at the end of the month so payslip has included that amount. After I received my promotion letter in July first week our company informed accounts department to credit the salary in my account in next months salary.
So my remaining salary and spouse allowance has been adjusted in next months salary. So for coming months (August and September) Payslip has remain constant while remaining amount of July has been paid.
That is why there is a variation in my bank statement and payslip for these three month. The total net pay received by me for these three months is equalivent to the amount deposited in my bank for these three months.

I have not written this detailed story in my cover letter(Cover letter is at the start of the post) .
Please advice what shall I do ?

Thanks...
It would have been ideal if you submitted a letter from your emplyer detailing earnings for every month and amount credited. Its been too long since you applied so I doubt if it will help if you arranged to sent the letter to HO/BHC. Dont lose your sleep over the issue and just hope (pray) that it gets through. I was just playing devil's advocate. Dont worry and wait for the outcome. The biggest thing in your favour is the in-country application which may give some comfort to the caseworker regarding authanticity of point claims/evidence. Do let us know how it goes.
regards,
push

Visa_Novice

Post by Visa_Novice » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:27 pm

It would have been ideal if you submitted a letter from your emplyer detailing earnings for every month and amount credited. Its been too long since you applied so I doubt if it will help if you arranged to sent the letter to HO/BHC. Dont lose your sleep over the issue and just hope (pray) that it gets through. I was just playing devil's advocate. Dont worry and wait for the outcome. The biggest thing in your favour is the in-country application which may give some comfort to the caseworker regarding authanticity of point claims/evidence. Do let us know how it goes.
1) I have submitted my application on 26 March. As per current trend of UKBA my application should be considered on 27th of April.I feel that I still have time to send some additional document, correct me if I am wrong ?
2) I can get a letter from my employer stating the amount credit in my bank account and the net pay. Shall I go ahead and get this letter from my employer and submit it to UKBA before its too late ?
3) What I also feel that in case of any doubt they shall contact my employer and then only make a Judgement. Is my understanding right ?

Thanks Push_hsmp for your time in reviewing my case .

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:44 pm

Visa_Novice wrote:
1) I have submitted my application on 26 March. As per current trend of UKBA my application should be considered on 27th of April.I feel that I still have time to send some additional document, correct me if I am wrong ?
2) I can get a letter from my employer stating the amount credit in my bank account and the net pay. Shall I go ahead and get this letter from my employer and submit it to UKBA before its too late ?
3) What I also feel that in case of any doubt they shall contact my employer and then only make a Judgement. Is my understanding right ?

Thanks Push_hsmp for your time in reviewing my case .
Well, you have nothing to lose. Just word the letter properly.
regards,
push

Visa_Novice

Post by Visa_Novice » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:48 pm

One more thing I would like to be reviewed:

Following is my earnings table for Jan and Feb month salary.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Month | Gross | Net | Amount deposited | Date amount deposited |
--------|Earning | Pay |in Bank---------------|In bank---------------------|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan-09|1061.15 |218.39 |218.39 | 27-Jan-09 |
Feb-09| 2484.86 |806.85 |806.85 | 26-Feb-09 |
Till Dec 2008 our company was paying salary at the starting of the month. From Jan 2009 our company has started paying salary at the end of the month. So salary of Jan has been paid on 27 Jan and so on.
Company has made a payment of £ 2000 as advance on 31 Dec 08 due to festive season which has been deducted £ 500 per month from salary of Jan, Feb, March and April.
In our payslip we have four components:
a) Gross pay
b) Advance
c) Taxes
d) Net pay (Written at the bottom of the payslip in big font.)

1) Now since this advance payment of £2000 is not reflected in my Net pay rather in advance so I have not mentioned this payment of £2000 in my earnings table. I have heard that case worker is more concerned with the gross pay and matching Net pay with bank statement, which is matching in my case. Are they concerned for Advance as well ? So do I need to still worry and take some corrective action ?

2) My Jan month salary is shown as £ 218.39 and same has been deposited in my bank. Can case worker raise his ibrow on the amount that why the amount is so less ? Should I have provided explanation in my coverletter ?

3) My Feb month salary is shown as £ 806.85 and same has been deposited in my bank on 26 Feb. In Feb month's payslip an advance amount has been shown as £ 608(Other than £ 500) though Net pay in payslip is displayed as £ 806.85 only.
This £ 608 amount has been paid to me because there was some administrative error by company accounts department and they paid me less salary in Jan. so to correct that they made me a payment of £ 608 on 6Feb while my salary has been credited on 26 Feb.
I have not written any thing in my earnings table since this amount is not reflected in net pay rather in advance. Sould I be worried and give some explanation to UKBA.

4) Our company has also made advance payment of £ 3300 at the starting of the project in cash which has been adjusted in first two salaries (Apr 08 and May 08) . This advance payment of £3300 is not reflected in Net pay rather as advance of first two salaries. This amount is counted in
gross salary and my salary slip reflects this amount in gross salary.
This amount has been paid to me by cash so there is no bank statement for this amount.???
Since in my earnings table I have provided data of Net pay only and not of any advance. Am I wrong ?

For all above mistakes I can still get a letter from employer which will clarify these doubts to UKBA but in that case it will prove the earnings table supplied by me to UKBA as false . Let me know what shall I do so UKBA do not reject my case. I still have time to take action.
Shall I supply a new earnings table with a column for advance payment as well and a letter from employer which explains the advance part ?

Thanks.

Visa_Novice

Post by Visa_Novice » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:41 pm

any expert advice please ...

Thanks

Visa_Novice

Post by Visa_Novice » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:02 pm

Could any body please advice ...

Thanks

Visa_Novice

Post by Visa_Novice » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:31 am

I know I have plenty of questions and it takes a lot of time to answer but I would appreciate any quick advice as my application might be considered from next week.
if anybody could answer all the queries one by one..that would b gr8.
Thanks

lionfly

Post by lionfly » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:53 pm

In my opinion, the covering letter is FAR TOO LONG.

It repeated the details you will fill in the form.

I like a covering letter within 1 A4.

Anyway, it is not very important. Good Luck !