ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes to Tier 1 - General Visa Criteria

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ashgok

Changes to Tier 1 - General Visa Criteria

Post by ashgok » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:08 am

Hi All,

This new rule is really disappointing and I think we should do something about it immediately.

They have removed the Bachelors Degree Criteria which helped us gain 30 points and now they have Masters gaining 35 points.

Now other than earnings and age I dont think there is any other area to earn points.

We can probably raise this question and it clearly indicates that bachelors degree has no value.

Do you think we should raise this issue and get back the Bachelors degree to earn points?

Thanks,
Ash

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Changes to Tier 1 - General Visa Criteria

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:48 am

Hi Ash,

The provision in brought forward to stop/control inflow of migrant workers to UK in this difficult economic times. Making criteria diffcult is one way of doing it and thats what HO has done.

As far as raising the issue is concern, this make sense but HO is in its rights to make the criteria stringent. And in doing so, it has maintained the status of all older HSMPians valid. The criteria has changed only for new applicants. Unfortunately, there is very slim(negligible) chance of success if you raise issue.

Do thinking though.

ashgok wrote:Hi All,

This new rule is really disappointing and I think we should do something about it immediately.

They have removed the Bachelors Degree Criteria which helped us gain 30 points and now they have Masters gaining 35 points.

Now other than earnings and age I dont think there is any other area to earn points.

We can probably raise this question and it clearly indicates that bachelors degree has no value.

Do you think we should raise this issue and get back the Bachelors degree to earn points?

Thanks,
Ash

ashgok

Post by ashgok » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:16 pm

chetanojha wrote:Hi Ash,

The provision in brought forward to stop/control inflow of migrant workers to UK in this difficult economic times. Making criteria diffcult is one way of doing it and thats what HO has done.

As far as raising the issue is concern, this make sense but HO is in its rights to make the criteria stringent. And in doing so, it has maintained the status of all older HSMPians valid. The criteria has changed only for new applicants. Unfortunately, there is very slim(negligible) chance of success if you raise issue.

Do thinking though.
Hi Chetan,

Nothing is impossible unless you have a no. of people supporting this issue.

Removing the Bachelor's degree criteria doesnt really make sense as there are many other ways to stop or control the inflow of migrant workers, and what is the use of gaining a Professional Bachelors degree if that is of no use. You cannot expect everybody in your country to be MS/MBA.

I came to India to apply for the Tier 1 and I get a shocker that they were changing the rules after 31st March 09.

Age, salary, language, maintenance funds makes sense, but what with Masters criteria, its disappointing.

Anyways, we really need to find a solution.

Thx,
Ash

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Ash,

Please note my comment. I mentioned HO is well in its rights to step up the filtering criteria. The rules have not changed for the existing HSMPians. Only for the new applicants. Can you tell me on what basis you can raise/appeal against this criteria? You can only appeal against these criteria if you are in UK and affected by this. New applicants are not in UK, UK govt./HO has not promised anything to them, on What basis can they appeal?

ashgok wrote:
chetanojha wrote:Hi Ash,

Do thinking though.
Hi Chetan,

Nothing is impossible unless you have a no. of people supporting this issue.

Removing the Bachelor's degree criteria doesnt really make sense as there are many other ways to stop or control the inflow of migrant workers, and what is the use of gaining a Professional Bachelors degree if that is of no use. You cannot expect everybody in your country to be MS/MBA.

I came to India to apply for the Tier 1 and I get a shocker that they were changing the rules after 31st March 09.

Age, salary, language, maintenance funds makes sense, but what with Masters criteria, its disappointing.

Anyways, we really need to find a solution.

Thx,
Ash

evan
Newly Registered

Post by evan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:43 pm

In my opinion the HO has chosen the wrong way to raise the bar.

Sill Bachelor's holders are qualified enough to come to UK. The weak point in the system was the earning points. Salary standard improved in a lot of places around the world in the last 3-4 years. For example changing multiplier factor for India from current 3.2 to a more realistic value like 2.5 will result in control the number of eligible applicants.
I think it is more logic to give chances to all (including Bachelor's holders) and at the same time make it harder also for all, specially Master degree holders already get 5 points more,

What do you think?????

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Evan, I share the same sentiments as I also holds Bachelors Degree. Irony is people completed B.E.(even from IIT and REC's) are asked to stay away whereas people with MCA(from some remote university) are considered.

No hard feelings for MCA or any other forumites though.

evan wrote:In my opinion the HO has chosen the wrong way to raise the bar.

Sill Bachelor's holders are qualified enough to come to UK. The weak point in the system was the earning points. Salary standard improved in a lot of places around the world in the last 3-4 years. For example changing multiplier factor for India from current 3.2 to a more realistic value like 2.5 will result in control the number of eligible applicants.
I think it is more logic to give chances to all (including Bachelor's holders) and at the same time make it harder also for all, specially Master degree holders already get 5 points more,

What do you think?????

ashgok

Post by ashgok » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:00 pm

chetanojha wrote:Evan, I share the same sentiments as I also holds Bachelors Degree. Irony is people completed B.E.(even from IIT and REC's) are asked to stay away whereas people with MCA(from some remote university) are considered.

No hard feelings for MCA or any other forumites though.

evan wrote:In my opinion the HO has chosen the wrong way to raise the bar.

What do you think?????
Hi Guys,

Lets not discuss about who is better M or B but lets consider it this way that the Professional engineering degree like Bachelors in Engg or any others are been left out.

Its not about debating but it will be like a normal issue to be raised as if "you had better hope to UK as it is the Best country to work, do you get my point? We are not criticizing quals but we are putting a point. What is mroe disappointing is that "It clearly shows and they have made it look that way that the "Bachelors Degree or Graduates have no value or a place in UK. Isn't that absolutely disappointing?

Thats all. Now we all have have to do is, people supporting this, to bring to the notice of the HO. Imagine next year they cutting out the Master's criteria and taking in only PHD holders? You wont be able to do anything then, it might not happen but just think, that time it will be like the Masters Degree have no value. This way they will lose potential immigrants and we opportunities.

Please comment, no critcizing or comparing or bringing down any other qualification. Its a matter to be noticed by prospective applicants and is of great concern.

Thanks,
Ash

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:47 pm

You all could still come to the UK on Tier 2 if you can find a job and employer to sponsor you.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Every country has a sovereign right to make/amend/rescind/repeal laws/rules which it thinks is the best interest of its own security, economy and ultimately the citizens. UK Govt now thinks (based on some consultation they carried out over last many months) that it needs to raise the bar to limit the immigrations (and mind you, its going to be raised further if things continue to deteriorate at the current pace). A further review of the Tier-1/2 is due next year and they are already talking about not allowing the dependents to work (just like H1 B) and making some of the public services "paid for" for the immigrants.

You and me can endlessly argue about what is good or bad from our own perspective but if the UK Govt. thinks that it does not need any more graduates to get VISA under Tier-1 route (tier-2 is still open), no one can do anything about it. Can we challenge Australia for maintaining a skills shortage list (which ensures people on the list have better chances of immigrating) or can anyone challenge why is there a cap on H1Bs issued every year? No!! If the industry felt the pinch due to shortfall of qualified professionals then there will be sufficient industry and local political pressure which will ensure that the bar is lowered again.

Let us be realistic here and accept that whats happening in the immigration area is a reflection of the economic and political pressure the Government of the day faces. A bachelor sitting in another country is not a constituency for the decision makers in UK.

At the same time, saying that points re age, earnings etc make sense is as flawed an argument as is the rational behind scrapping to points for Bachelors degree. Sit back, relax and enjoy things around you ....... The way its Economy is tanking, in a few years, UK may not be an attractive destination at all.....
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:28 pm

I believe, in time, HO will change their stance with this master degree requirement to go back to the minimum bachelor degree requirement.

It's just HO currently under heavy pressure from the existing MPs, media and the public to reduce UK immigration level.

I think this is a terribly populist move and not very well thought. UK is well within her right to reduce the immigration level, but this is not the correct way.

I believe by limiting the profession of people allowed to enter the country (such as the Australian system) and by raising the income required is a much better way to control immigration level.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:39 pm

xpscapable wrote:I believe by limiting the profession of people allowed to enter the country (such as the Australian system) and by raising the income required is a much better way to control immigration level.
That wouldn't be popular, if they limited it by profession it is quite possible they would say there are enough IT graduates & MBA holders!

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:29 pm

Agree with you PUSH. Better bite the bullet and move on. Who knows India could be a better destination in next few years.
push_hsmp wrote:Every country has a sovereign right to make/amend/rescind/repeal laws/rules which it thinks is the best interest of its own security, economy and ultimately the citizens. UK Govt now thinks (based on some consultation they carried out over last many months) that it needs to raise the bar to limit the immigrations (and mind you, its going to be raised further if things continue to deteriorate at the current pace). A further review of the Tier-1/2 is due next year and they are already talking about not allowing the dependents to work (just like H1 B) and making some of the public services "paid for" for the immigrants.

You and me can endlessly argue about what is good or bad from our own perspective but if the UK Govt. thinks that it does not need any more graduates to get VISA under Tier-1 route (tier-2 is still open), no one can do anything about it. Can we challenge Australia for maintaining a skills shortage list (which ensures people on the list have better chances of immigrating) or can anyone challenge why is there a cap on H1Bs issued every year? No!! If the industry felt the pinch due to shortfall of qualified professionals then there will be sufficient industry and local political pressure which will ensure that the bar is lowered again.

Let us be realistic here and accept that whats happening in the immigration area is a reflection of the economic and political pressure the Government of the day faces. A bachelor sitting in another country is not a constituency for the decision makers in UK.

At the same time, saying that points re age, earnings etc make sense is as flawed an argument as is the rational behind scrapping to points for Bachelors degree. Sit back, relax and enjoy things around you ....... The way its Economy is tanking, in a few years, UK may not be an attractive destination at all.....

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:46 pm

PaperPusher wrote:
xpscapable wrote:I believe by limiting the profession of people allowed to enter the country (such as the Australian system) and by raising the income required is a much better way to control immigration level.
That wouldn't be popular, if they limited it by profession it is quite possible they would say there are enough IT graduates & MBA holders!
Well that make sense no? If there are thousands of unemployed IT professionals here then why should UK take more IT people? Same goes with any other profession. The idea is to let people that we need in the country not just anyone with a degree.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:17 pm

xpscapable wrote:
PaperPusher wrote:
Well that make sense no? If there are thousands of unemployed IT professionals here then why should UK take more IT people? Same goes with any other profession. The idea is to let people that we need in the country not just anyone with a degree.
Well, that doesn't really need Govt. control (checks etc.). In this world of free manpower movement (well almost), the supply will automatically adjust to demand. If there are too many IT professionals in UK then there would be hardly any jobs for people in the sector. This will drag down the salary levels and make UK a less favoured destination. The idea of skills shortage list is entirely different in that it promotes directed growth in a particular sector through easy availability of VISA etc. (positive discrimination/action).
regards,
push

newsoulrebel
Newly Registered

Moving from PSW to Tier1 General

Post by newsoulrebel » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:22 pm

If you have attended a UK University and will graduate in 2009 with a BEng (Civil Engineering) then switch to PSW, will you be able to claim points for the BEng when you subsequently apply for Tier 1 (General) or do you need to have done a Masters degree?

newsoulrebel
Newly Registered

Moving from PSW to Tier1 General

Post by newsoulrebel » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:23 pm

If you have attended a UK University and will graduate in 2009 with a BEng (Civil Engineering) then switch to PSW, will you be able to claim points for the BEng when you subsequently apply for Tier 1 (General) or do you need to have done a Masters degree?

push
United Kingdom

Re: Moving from PSW to Tier1 General

Post by push » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:37 pm

newsoulrebel wrote:If you have attended a UK University and will graduate in 2009 with a BEng (Civil Engineering) then switch to PSW, will you be able to claim points for the BEng when you subsequently apply for Tier 1 (General) or do you need to have done a Masters degree?
You can switch from PSW to T-1 General provided you fulfill the Tier-1 criteria.
regards,
push

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: Moving from PSW to Tier1 General

Post by yasa » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:16 am

newsoulrebel wrote:If you have attended a UK University and will graduate in 2009 with a BEng (Civil Engineering) then switch to PSW, will you be able to claim points for the BEng when you subsequently apply for Tier 1 (General) or do you need to have done a Masters degree?
Masters degree....
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================