ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch HSMP visa to student visa?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

scraggy
Newly Registered

Post by scraggy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:03 pm

I am currently a HSMP holder, ends August 09. I am going to take time off work and study a masters degree in the UK, so I need the student visa or Tier 4 general. Do I need to go back to my own country to apply for a student visa? P/S I can't extend my HSMP/or Tier 1 general as I dont have enough points. Anyone can advice me on this? Thanks!!

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: Switch HSMP visa to student visa?

Post by yasa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:44 pm

scraggy wrote:Switch HSMP visa to student visa?
I am currently a HSMP holder, ends August 09. I am going to take time off work and study a masters degree in the UK, so I need the student visa or Tier 4 general. Do I need to go back to my own country to apply for a student visa? P/S I can't extend my HSMP/or Tier 1 general as I dont have enough points. Anyone can advice me on this? Thanks!!
normally u dont really need to go back to change your status as long as u have valid visa.

Apply for the course in proper institution and then go for the visa asap.

tuliprose
Member of Standing

Re: Switch HSMP visa to student visa?

Post by tuliprose » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:32 am

yasa wrote:
scraggy wrote:Switch HSMP visa to student visa?
normally u dont really need to go back to change your status as long as u have valid visa.

Apply for the course in proper institution and then go for the visa asap.

Yes, if you got HSMP valid visa then you don't really need to change to student visa. But if you want to change your HSMP visa into student visa then i don't think you can do it inside UK.

Who can apply in the UK?
Not everyone who is in the UK is allowed to apply for more time, as a student.

You can apply for more time, as a Child Student, if you have, or were last granted, immigration permission as one of the following:

â– Student, and this permission was granted before 31 March 2009
â– Child Student
â– Prospective Student.
You might be able to apply as a Child Student if you are aged 16 or 17. See Who can apply as a Child Student below for more information.

You can apply for more time, as a General Student, if you have, or were last granted, immigration permission as one of the following:

â– Student, including student immigration permission granted before and after 31 March 2009
â– Prospective student
â– Student re-sitting an examination
â– Student writing up a thesis
â– Student nurse
â– Students' Union sabbatical officer
â– Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) migrant
â– International Graduates Scheme, Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme or Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme participant
â– Tier 2 (General), Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) or Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) migrant.
â– Work permit holder.

HSMP or Tier 1 General is not in this list.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Thanks.. its really helpful
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================