ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage on holiday

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Spectre
Newly Registered

Marriage on holiday

Post by Spectre » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:26 pm

My fiancee and I want to get married, I'm from the UK and she's from the US, in Indiana. We want to get married while i'm coming over for a short visit, after which I will go back to the UK and she will stay in the US, though after a while i'm planning on applying for a spouse visa so I can move to the US. I was just going to go over on the visa waiver scheme since i'm only staying for 2 weeks and we're only having a small ceremony. I won't be carrying rings or anything for the wedding other than a suit. I should be able to get married on a visitor visa, since i'm planning on leaving around a week after the wedding, right? And also I lost my birth certificate, does anyone know whether it is required for a foreigner to get married in the US? I believe the rules vary area to area in the US on marriage. My fiancee rang the the court house the other day and they said I just need photo ID and a passport, but she said the person on the phone didn't sound too sure like she really knew what she was doing. Any help appreciated.

Lev Kobrin
Newly Registered

Re: Marriage on holiday

Post by Lev Kobrin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 am

Spectre wrote:My fiancee and I want to get married, I'm from the UK and she's from the US, in Indiana. We want to get married while i'm coming over for a short visit, after which I will go back to the UK and she will stay in the US, though after a while i'm planning on applying for a spouse visa so I can move to the US. I was just going to go over on the visa waiver scheme since i'm only staying for 2 weeks and we're only having a small ceremony. I won't be carrying rings or anything for the wedding other than a suit. I should be able to get married on a visitor visa, since i'm planning on leaving around a week after the wedding, right? And also I lost my birth certificate, does anyone know whether it is required for a foreigner to get married in the US? I believe the rules vary area to area in the US on marriage. My fiancee rang the the court house the other day and they said I just need photo ID and a passport, but she said the person on the phone didn't sound too sure like she really knew what she was doing. Any help appreciated.
You can get marry on any day when the office is working. Rings - up to you. Birth certificate is not required for a marriage ceremony; however, you will need it for the future immigration processing. Take a copy at the Births Registry Office at your place of birth.

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

Re: Marriage on holiday

Post by pauliesgirl » Thu May 28, 2009 11:56 am

You cannot marry on a tourist visa. If you apply for residency once you have done so, your application will be denied on grounds that you did not enter the country to visit, you came here to get married. You must first apply for a fiance visa which can take some time to get approved and you have 90 days to get married. If she applies for residency for you, from my understanding, you are not allowed to leave the US until further notice. But first step is fiance visa.

Spectre
Newly Registered

Post by Spectre » Thu May 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Sorry I forgot to post an update, we got married a few weeks ago and i'm back in england now. So will it affect my chances if I tried to move to the US on a spouse visa?

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

Post by pauliesgirl » Thu May 28, 2009 12:09 pm

When you have your interview upon her petitioning you to come to the states as her spouse, they will see you 'cut in line' when getting married. I wanted to go this route with my husband who is Irish, the fiance visa mess was all too complicated for us and extremely pricey, with both time and money. We decided it was too much of a risk to cut corners and went with the decision to avoid all of the paperwork and interviews and laywers in the US and we got married in Ireland. I will soon petition him to come back to the US with me, 'petition alien relative', for I-130 once I have gained habitual residency here in Ireland. I doubt they would have the fiance visa (K-1) if it wasn't required to gain residency once married in America. I could be wrong though and you could get lucky!

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

Post by pauliesgirl » Thu May 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Oh and congrats on the marriage! I am also a newlywed!

DutchRudder
Newly Registered

no, ur fine

Post by DutchRudder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:29 pm

You shouldn't have any problems... Let me know any updates

Spectre
Newly Registered

Post by Spectre » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:15 am

I didn't have any problems, am back in the US again now though only visiting again, just didn't mention that I was married and they didn't ask many questions.

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

Post by pauliesgirl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Spectre wrote:I didn't have any problems, am back in the US again now though only visiting again, just didn't mention that I was married and they didn't ask many questions.
Then not only did you not get married the honest and legal way that everyone else has to do when marrying an foreigner in America, you didn't tell passport control the WHOLE truth? Haha wow I really hope you get caught now!

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:02 pm

pauliesgirl wrote:
Spectre wrote:I didn't have any problems, am back in the US again now though only visiting again, just didn't mention that I was married and they didn't ask many questions.
Then not only did you not get married the honest and legal way that everyone else has to do when marrying an foreigner in America, you didn't tell passport control the WHOLE truth? Haha wow I really hope you get caught now!
Get caught for what? He did nothing wrong.