ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA4 then Naturalisation

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

osiris

EEA4 then Naturalisation

Post by osiris » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Just wondering, assuming an individual gains the automatic permenant residence following their 5 year residence on an EEA2 permit. They then apply for EEA4 to confirm these rights, but the application takes, let's say, a year. Can this individual apply for Naturalisation only 1 year after they are granted the EEA4 or are they technically eligible 1 year post EEA2 expiry date?

m-e-d
Newly Registered

Post by m-e-d » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:05 pm

Very good question .... would like to know the answer as well ..

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: EEA4 then Naturalisation

Post by thsths » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:27 am

osiris wrote:Just wondering, assuming an individual gains the automatic permenant residence following their 5 year residence on an EEA2 permit. They then apply for EEA4 to confirm these rights, but the application takes, let's say, a year. Can this individual apply for Naturalisation only 1 year after they are granted the EEA4 or are they technically eligible 1 year post EEA2 expiry date?
As far as I understand you can apply for naturalisation without ever making an EEA4 application. Permanent residence is a status that is granted automatically after 5 years of exercising treaty rights, and the application is only for a confirmation of this right.

Of course without the permanent resident stamp in your passport, you would need to include all the evidence that proves your status.

osiris

Post by osiris » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:42 pm

thsths wrote:Permanent residence is a status that is granted automatically after 5 years of exercising treaty rights, and the application is only for a confirmation of this right.
I wonder if the UKBA only considers the 5 years of economic activity of the union citizen, OR if the non-EEA family member is also required to prove the same for the 5 year period. I believe that the EU Directive only requires the former to be fulfilled (provided that the r/ship is still subsisting after 5 years).

osiris

Post by osiris » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:40 pm

I wonder if the UKBA only considers the 5 years of economic activity of the union citizen, OR if the non-EEA family member is also required to prove the same for the 5 year period. I believe that the EU Directive only requires the former to be fulfilled (provided that the r/ship is still subsisting after 5 years).
Interesting. My fiancee was exercising treaty rights since June 2006 and we were both living in the UK since then. We got our residence cards in February 2007, so it would be interesting to see if we could apply for EEA3/EEA4 respectively in June 2011 or perhaps we should wait until February 2012.

JA13I

Post by JA13I » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:21 pm

osiris wrote:Just wondering, assuming an individual gains the automatic permenant residence following their 5 year residence on an EEA2 permit. They then apply for EEA4 to confirm these rights, but the application takes, let's say, a year. Can this individual apply for Naturalisation only 1 year after they are granted the EEA4 or are they technically eligible 1 year post EEA2 expiry date?
Neither! To put my 2 cents in, I think that the EEA family member can apply 1 year after the automatic PR status kicks in, i.e, in your case- June 2012... 6 months after your Residence Card expires. Plus, they are allowed a discretion in such cases to the time spend under ILR.

See this to further understand the stance.
Jabi