ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Simple ILR application, or is it?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tarboush
Newly Registered

Post by Tarboush » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:51 pm

Started work on a WP with a British firm in Sept 2001, then started travelling extensively for them for three years since then. The travelling was so much, I decided to change jobs and move to another British firm in London only with no travel outside the UK. I have been with this firm for the last year. That makes four years of continued employment on UK WP (two separate WPs which overlap). Employer's letter, bank statements, payslips are no problem.
The issue in the above is the absences. I'd say alot, but the UK immigration stamps on my passport aren't representative of the amount of travel I did.
How do I go about this, and how much detail should I put on the ILR application?
thanks

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:42 pm

Hi Cocktail

I know of people who got ilr with huge absences out of UK as they were seconded to overseas projects working for there UK based employer. Some of them even had NT status but it did not cause any problem for ilr. What you need to do is to state all your absences greater than three months on your ilr application and provide a supporting letter from you previous employer.

Best of luck

Tarboush
Newly Registered

Post by Tarboush » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:23 pm

Thanks jaz,

I've read of simmilar conditions on this forum, but I wanted to hear it for myself.

For a moment, I thought of not stating the true duration abroad, but I'll go with your advice to just say it as it is. My previous employer will gladly put in a letter describing how much travel I had to do for them.

thanks

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:30 am

also don't forget to mention that you were paying taxes in the UK

Tarboush
Newly Registered

Post by Tarboush » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:36 pm

I looked and I can't find anywhere on the application that Taxes are mentioned.
I was pleased to see this, since in the durations I was seconded abroad, my company would pay me out of the local branch accounts there, and not deduct tax. This, they said, is done for all non-UK resident personnel.
Will this be a problem for my ILR?
thanks

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:40 pm

the company must have been paying taxes in the UK, then how can they employ you over here and not pay taxes in the other country "as well"

if you can show that you have been paying taxes you case becomes stronger...

remember ILR is given to those who want to settle in the UK and who HAVE been paying tax

Also my guess is, it might cause a problem when you apply for naturalization as they check if you have paid taxes during your stay in the UK

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:10 pm

Coctail

In my opinion not paying taxes should not be a problem for ILR provided you had a proper tax status at the time you were not paying taxes in uk (NT status). I know people successfully obtaining ILRs on NT status. This thing will become more significant (paying tax etc) for your naturalization application.

Tarboush
Newly Registered

Post by Tarboush » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks.

I have not been paying any tax for the duration that I was outside the UK. On the application form, I can't see any place that they ask me about it, or I would be ready to describe my situation. I am seeking legal advice on this this week, and will tell the forum what the response will be.
thanks