ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rejected- 9 August 2005

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amhilde

Rejected- 9 August 2005

Post by amhilde » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:28 pm

Hi all-

You can chalk me up as one of the few Americans rejected.

Under 28 application- 31 May 2005

043XXX

Work Experience- claimed 35, got 35
Age- 5, got 5
Education- 25- got 15

Has this happened to anyone before? I have a US undergraduate in Anthropology. I have a US masters in Economics. They stated that because my graduate was in a different field to that of my undergrad that my masters was equivalent to post graduate work in the UK and an extension of my undergraduate work- which I find contradictory in itself. My undergrad degree was not included- only the masters, but I included a full CV which would have shown the undergraduate degree, but thats it.

I? am ANGRY- 2.5 years of masters degree work and a 180 page masters thesis on the economic and policy implications of changes to UK gambling law means nothing? I went to conferences and private discussion groups with the lawmakers including Sir Alan Budd who wrote the bill, not to mention Tessa Jowells undersecretary. Id like to see if that guy who scored my app ever achieves that much in his whole life.

GAH!

Any advice as to appealing?
Last edited by amhilde on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bunytu
Newly Registered

similar situation

Post by bunytu » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:07 am

Sorry to know your are not successful.

it's teh first time I heard refusal based on this reason.

I also have inconsistant academic history, Bachelor in Engineering and MSc in Economic. And I even have 2 parts of inconsistant employment history; first as engineer and then became business development manager.

I think you should ask for review. As you said, the way to say since Master is in a different area means extension of first degree is simply ridiculous.

Tell me if you get any response from them.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:20 am

bunytu- did you appeal then? I plan on arguing that 1) its an asinine provision and 2) that the must be checking EVERYONES original degree who comes through with a graduate one. Dont worry, this isnt over yet by a long shot.

bunytu
Newly Registered

I havn't sent the application, and now I'm worrying

Post by bunytu » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:26 am

I havn't sent the application, and now I'm worrying that if the inconsistancy is a problem, should I waste £315?!

Do you think it would better off that you simply sumbit Master degree certificate without bechelor one? Is that possible?

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:01 pm

B-

My masters degree was submitted alone- according to the rules they lay out thats all you have to do is to submit the highest one that you have. They only knew about my bachelors being different because i submitted an official school transcript as proof of age because I wouldnt have had time to find a birth certificate. That was sumbitted for age in addition to an original NI card and photocopies of passport/drivers license.

bunytu
Newly Registered

Thank you

Post by bunytu » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:15 pm

Thanks a lot.

But I still have worry with my highly inconsistant work experience. Is you work experience a consistant one?

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:40 pm

yes, ive worked for the same employer for 4.5 years now, though I do work for three different departments under that employer. So I had the people in one department write me a letter and my direct boss here write me one as well- that seemed to work.

bunytu
Newly Registered

Thank you

Post by bunytu » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:40 pm

Thank you. I think i will still give it a try. Let me know how do they response to your review.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:18 pm

bunytu-

Apparently if your masters degree had a research/written thesis component and lasted at least 2 years then its considered roughtly equivalent of a Research Masters for the UK. No research/thesis and it is considered a Taught Masters and not roughly equivalent. Keep in mind that this information was provided to me ( the distinction that is) by the British Council USA folks who assist people in going for education over there. You may want to ask the British Council in your country about the "rough equivalent". Its no guarantee, but its helpful to know the definitions.

bunytu
Newly Registered

Post by bunytu » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:56 pm

Thank you. My master's degree is done in UK, it's taught, but i guess it should not be a problem.

I emailed HSMP about my different work experience and was told that "If you provide sufficient evidence that these jobs are graduate level you
will be awarded points for 4 years."

Hopefully it should be fine.