ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW rejected based on CIMA qualification

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nasif
Newly Registered

PSW rejected based on CIMA qualification

Post by nasif » Fri May 01, 2009 11:56 pm

I contacted home office regarding PSW visa in december and asked them if i could apply for PSW on CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) and told them I could not find CIMA in the home office points calculator.

They replied me saying that if you cannot find your qualification, you can send it for assesment to UK NARIC and if they can confirm the status of my qualification I can apply for PSW.

I then sent all my documents to UK NARIC and they sent me a letter of comparability confirming CIMA is comparable to UK Master's Degree standard.

I then sent my application for PSW, however today i got my documents returned with refusal.

They said you cannot get PSW on basis of CIMA as it is a professional qualification, but why UK NARIC confirmed that as equivalent to Master's.

My visa is currently expiring in Jan 2010, so they have not given me a right to appeal. I dont really know what to do next

Can somebody help me or is there someone who have applied for PSW on basis of CIMA.

alimohmand

Post by alimohmand » Sat May 02, 2009 5:41 am

You have mixed Tier 1 General with PSW. PSW states you need to have Masters Degree rather then a professional qualification While for Tier 1 General you can get points based on NARIC's classification of CIMA equaliant to CIMA

nasif
Newly Registered

Post by nasif » Sat May 02, 2009 1:05 pm

I had that confusion and I emailed the home office about that but they said if you cannot find your qualification in the points calculator, contact UK Naric an get the letter of comparibility which I did..

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Sat May 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Dude HO is useless in dealing with such sort of situations anyways have u described everything in your cover letter when u applied for your PSW. The thing u can do right now is to appeal the decision with evidence like email from HO stating about NARIC and challenge that decision....

Thats the only way out....
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

nasif
Newly Registered

Post by nasif » Sat May 02, 2009 2:35 pm

i did mentioned in my cover letter how i am claiming points and i also attached the copy of the email from home office

Diokpa
Member of Standing

Post by Diokpa » Sat May 02, 2009 4:25 pm

nasif wrote:i did mentioned in my cover letter how i am claiming points and i also attached the copy of the email from home office
Getting a letter from NARIC does not make your professional qualification any different. You cannot apply for the PSW with a professional qualification even if NARIC gives an equivalent(which is their only function really). It would have worked for you with Tier 1 General but not PSW. All the best.
We are all pencils in the hand of our creator~ Unknown

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Nasif, did u Contacted UKBA and if yes whts their response in your case??

Thanks
Kash

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:19 pm

tall_funky wrote:Nasif, did u Contacted UKBA and if yes whts their response in your case??

Thanks
Kash
1. For PSW u can not use ACCA, CIMA or any other professional qualification.
2. UKNARIC can only confirm the level of the qualification and even the CIMA,ACAA are masters level, still can not be used for PSW as being the professional qualification.

ammeck09

Post by ammeck09 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:53 am

If you have read the instructions or the policy guidelines well, you wouldn't have applied for the psw visa.

To be eligible, an applicant must have one of the following qualifications;
a) a UK recognised degree (bachelor, master, or phd level)
b) a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE), or
c) a higher national diploma (HND) from a scottish institution

There was not any mention of equivalent here, so why did you apply at all. There wasn't any provision of equivalent qualifications, so I found it absurd why you applied for the psw.

There is no need to appeal against the decision since nothing positive will come out of it. You are lucky that you still have some time left on your visa to sort yourself before it expires.

vinata

Post by vinata » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:18 pm

This is true, you cannot apply for psw on the basic of CIMA. However, you can complete your project with Oxford Brookes University (call CIMA to find out the requirements) and on the basis of the degree from Oxford Brookes you can apply for psw.

I completed my ACCA and also did the project from OBU and got all the points for qualification. But it will take another half a year for you to complete the project, which means you might have to extend your student visa for 3 month or so.

Go to CIMA website and check all the details about OBU. Good luck