ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

worked more than 20hrs/week on student visa during Christmas

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DSK12
Newly Registered

worked more than 20hrs/week on student visa during Christmas

Post by DSK12 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi All,
I was wondering if some one can give me advice about my situation.

I'm currently doing my post graduation & work part-time, always within the 20hrs/week limit except for the months Dec'08 (over time on Christmas & Boxing day) & April'09 (on Easter day). When I send my PSW application in the next few months, do I need to include a cover letter explaining that I have worked over 20 hrs/week during Christmas & Easter weeks, considering the fact that a student visa allows me to work more than 20 hrs/week during vacation (FYI, I do have my course calendar from the uni. showing the vacation periods during which I worked over..., with me).

Also my dissertation is due in Sep'09 and I have got leave until Feb'10. After submitting my dissertation in Sep'09, I can work full time till I get my results & apply for PSW in..say Nov'09. Again my question is, do I need to explain this in a cover letter that I worked more than 20 hrs/week in Sep'09 because I have already completed my dissertation.

Thank you.

koolbone

Re: worked more than 20hrs/week on student visa during Chris

Post by koolbone » Fri May 01, 2009 11:08 pm

DSK12 wrote:Hi All,
I was wondering if some one can give me advice about my situation.

I'm currently doing my post graduation & work part-time, always within the 20hrs/week limit except for the months Dec'08 (over time on Christmas & Boxing day) & April'09 (on Easter day). When I send my PSW application in the next few months, do I need to include a cover letter explaining that I have worked over 20 hrs/week during Christmas & Easter weeks, considering the fact that a student visa allows me to work more than 20 hrs/week during vacation (FYI, I do have my course calendar from the uni. showing the vacation periods during which I worked over..., with me).

Also my dissertation is due in Sep'09 and I have got leave until Feb'10. After submitting my dissertation in Sep'09, I can work full time till I get my results & apply for PSW in..say Nov'09. Again my question is, do I need to explain this in a cover letter that I worked more than 20 hrs/week in Sep'09 because I have already completed my dissertation.

Thank you.

Don't think a cover letter is necessary. Like you rightly said, by law, you're allowed to work full-time during vacation periods as well as after you're done with your course.

DSK12
Newly Registered

Post by DSK12 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:20 pm

koolbone wrote:
Don't think a cover letter is necessary. Like you rightly said, by law, you're allowed to work full-time during vacation periods as well as after you're done with your course.
You mean, they would automatically understand that if their records show
that a student has worked more than 80hrs (20 hrs X 4 weeks) in Dec or April, they would simply assume that he/she might have done it during the vacation period and not raise any eyebrow at it.

Cheers.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Sat May 02, 2009 1:50 am

It does not matter... U r safe...
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

koolbone

Post by koolbone » Sat May 02, 2009 11:03 am

DSK12 wrote: You mean, they would automatically understand that if their records show
that a student has worked more than 80hrs (20 hrs X 4 weeks) in Dec or April, they would simply assume that he/she might have done it during the vacation period and not raise any eyebrow at it.

Cheers.
Yes, they would. You have not broken any law by working full-time during vacations. If you want to put your mind at rest though, you can include a cover letter but in my humble opinion, it's not necessary.