ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Natural Born vs. Naturalized Citizen

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

links18
Newly Registered

Natural Born vs. Naturalized Citizen

Post by links18 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:16 pm

My partner and I live outside the U.S., I am a natural born U.S. citizen, while my partner was naturalized when she lived in the U.S.. Each time we enter the U.S., she is questioned about how she obtained her citizenship and generally made to feel like a second class citizen, because she was not born in the U.S. Why does CBP ask questions about how citizenship was obtained when both parties are presenting valid U.S. passports? Does it really matter? Do naturalized citizens not have the same rights as natural born citizens (other than not being able to hold the office of Presidency)? I really don't understand it. Why does U.S. CBP feel the need to question the validity of certain U.S. passports? Rant OFF :D

Naresh Gehi
BANNED

Post by Naresh Gehi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:31 am

A naturalized U.S. citizen has following rights

The right to vote in U.S. elections.

The right to obtain a United States passport.

The right to participate in federal programs such as Social Security.

The ability to qualify for certain security clearances.

There are more security considerations . So, some of the passports at certain times are scrutinized.

links18
Newly Registered

Post by links18 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:43 pm

Naturalized citizens also have the right to enter the United States and I can't see how being naturalized as opposed to being natural born can legally give rise to additional scrutiny. There isn't supposed to be any such thing as second class citizenship. A valid U.S. passport is a valid U.S. passport.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: Natural Born vs. Naturalized Citizen

Post by Marco 72 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:06 am

links18 wrote:My partner and I live outside the U.S., I am a natural born U.S. citizen, while my partner was naturalized when she lived in the U.S.. Each time we enter the U.S., she is questioned about how she obtained her citizenship and generally made to feel like a second class citizen, because she was not born in the U.S. Why does CBP ask questions about how citizenship was obtained when both parties are presenting valid U.S. passports? Does it really matter? Do naturalized citizens not have the same rights as natural born citizens (other than not being able to hold the office of Presidency)? I really don't understand it. Why does U.S. CBP feel the need to question the validity of certain U.S. passports? Rant OFF :D
My wife wasn't born in the US either but she's never been asked at the border how she obtained her citizenship (on the other hand that sometimes happens to me when I enter the UK with my British passport). Where was your partner born?