ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit After ILR?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

resider
Newly Registered

Work Permit After ILR?

Post by resider » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:19 pm

Is the work permit visa stamp and the work permit document still valid after one receives ILR?

My friend has still got his work permit visa stamp in his passport and his employer doesn't know that he doesn't require work permit renewal anymore.

Is there a formal process that the employer has to follow to "cancel" the work permit even when the ILR has been granted. His employer is not sure and doesn't want to risk "going with his ILR stamp" in the passport and just assume he is permanent now. Maybe they just want some official verification to be safe i.e. "this person doesn't require permit now since ILR overrides that etc"...

They want absolute proof that he doesn't require work permit anymore.

Please advise as we couldn't find anything on the IND site as well.

Thanks.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:32 pm

any "new visa supercedes the old one" and hence all his previous visas are now invalid

so NO need to cancel the wp

ILR is one step before getting citizenship... no restrictions inside the UK in terms of employment

btw your friend must have got a letter along with his ILR which mentions he is free from any employment restrictions

resider
Newly Registered

Post by resider » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:06 am

thanks oli. thats why I told him as well but he has got a unique issue with his company since they are completely ignorant about ILRs etc.

no he didn't receive any letter but just the new style UKPR stickers for him and his family. it seems to be the case for people applying in person or something. not sure why they don't issue the letters anymore or at least in all cases.

i couldn't advise him on the matter but I have suggested that he asks his company to write to the HO or get some other "legal" confirmation if need be.

Cheers.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:43 am

Couldn't you get yoyr friend to get his employer call work permits uk or something? They will confirm that he doesnt need a work permit, or get them to look at this page on the home office website:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... tamps.html

it shows a list of stamps they put in the passport (including the new RP) and what they mean, pretty conclusive really!

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:09 pm

The employer is required to notify the Home Office, any change on the conditions of employment have to be reported, that includes if the person is fired, transfered, promoted, demoted, changes immigration status, they need to inform, otherwise it will be a problem in the future (for the company) the employee is home free. as far as i know.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)