ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cost of living in Cambridge..

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kumi

Cost of living in Cambridge..

Post by kumi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:25 am

I searched all over the forum for this information, but, could not find anything suitable.
Can someone please let me know how is cambridge cost wise. Is it comparable to london ??

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Re: Cost of living in Cambridge..

Post by yodiyokun » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:46 am

kumi wrote:I searched all over the forum for this information, but, could not find anything suitable.
Can someone please let me know how is cambridge cost wise. Is it comparable to london ??
search on property websites.. but it should be cheaper than london
My bow has been renewed

kumi

Re: Cost of living in Cambridge..

Post by kumi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:40 am

yodiyokun wrote:
kumi wrote:I searched all over the forum for this information, but, could not find anything suitable.
search on property websites.. but it should be cheaper than london
I did look at some property webistes, but, I aint interested in buying properties there. I had seen AKS and other moderators/members giving a break up of day to day living expenses in London. I was hoping I could get the same for cambridge, anybody out there in cambridge, who can share the same.., thanx

ameba
Newly Registered

Post by ameba » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:21 pm

Yeah.
This is an interesting topic for me too. I am exploring the working opportunities in Cambridge and will eventually move to live there.

What I have found so far is the following:

1. The accomodation is not much cheaper than in London.
Example:

When I lived in North London (Walthamstow) I rented a small one bedroom flat at the price of 500 GBP/month.

Currently I am living in South London (Wandsworth) and renting one bedroom at 700 GBP/month.

I noticed that the flats I am interested in go at 600-700 GBP /month in Cambridge. I presume that the rent must be a little cheaper but I do not beleive that difference would be more than 50-100 GBP/month.

2. The public transport is very expensive in Cambridge. I had to pay 1.80 GBP to get from the station to the end districts of Cambridge. The route consisted of only 8 bus stops!!! I can travel for 2 hours and cross London for as little as 1 pound! I guess that is the reason there are so many cyclists in Cambridge.

bani

Post by bani » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:11 pm

Hi, I live in Cambridge. It's true flats here cost about that much 500-700/month in the city centre. But if you go about 3 miles north or south, you could be renting a 2-bedroom house for that much. I live near the city centre, sharing a 3-bedroom house (about £300/month per person) rent. I either walk or cycle to work (buses here can be notoriously late or absent!).
Last edited by bani on Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benadie
Newly Registered

Property rent

Post by Benadie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:17 pm

Hi

Here are three excellent websites that I have been visting frequently in my preparation for comming the the UK. BTW my family and I will be arriving in London in 1st week of October, got HSMP aproved after 12 months wait.

www.primelocation.com - fully searchable per county and or post code.
www.upmystreet.com - detail information regarding county or postcode
www.multimap.com - fully zoom enabled maps of UK and world

Cheers

kumi

same here..

Post by kumi » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:34 pm

phew., I decided to land in bristol instead of cambridge., and the prices are still the same here. a one bedroom apartment rents to around 525 + bills. They are some cheaper options but, the area might not be that good. Bristol being comparitively smaller than london is a force to reckon when property prices are compared... am not saving much by choosing bristol...

Mini
Member of Standing

Post by Mini » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:57 am

You can use the link below which gives you a calculator :

http://www.npower.com/at_home/forms/COL ... lator.aspx

and the link below which gives a rating for key towns :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4728425.stm
Mini