ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa with expired EEAFP and waiting for EEA2

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Gerkema

Schengen visa with expired EEAFP and waiting for EEA2

Post by Gerkema » Tue May 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Dear all,

My wife (Russian nationality) has applied for an EEA2 permit in December 2008. I am Dutch living and working in London. Because of these HO delays the EEA2 hasn't been issued yet and her original EEAFP has expired.

We were thinking of going on a vacation to Russia this summer so that she could again apply for a new EEAFP. However, there seem to be some ICT problems in Moscow so that it is very difficult if not almost impossible to schedule an appointment for such a new EEAFP.

We thus thought of maybe going for a week to another EU country (Schengen) to apply for a new EEAFP over there (preferably Holland as we can there stay with friends and relatives).

Question is whether it is possible to apply for a free Schengen visa at the Dutch embassy without a valid EEAFP?

Thanks

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Schengen visa with expired EEAFP and waiting for EEA2

Post by 86ti » Tue May 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Gerkema wrote:Question is whether it is possible to apply for a free Schengen visa at the Dutch embassy without a valid EEAFP?
Some embassies require proof of residence which you do not really have. I am not sure if they can really ask you for that as the application for a residence card is optional in the UK. You will have to contact them to see what they want.

Gerkema

Post by Gerkema » Tue May 12, 2009 2:43 pm

86ti wrote:Some embassies require proof of residence which you do not really have. I am not sure if they can really ask you for that as the application for a residence card is optional in the UK. You will have to contact them to see what they want.
Thanks 86ti. You are right, the EEA2 is optional, so they can't really ask for that. However, when I called the Dutch embassy they said that they thought that my wife was here illegal as her EEAFP expired. I had to explain them that following directive 2004/38 she can never be illegal and she has the same rights as I have. They were going to look into it.

Was wondering if anyone else has come across this situation?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue May 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Gerkema wrote:Thanks 86ti. You are right, the EEA2 is optional, so they can't really ask for that. However, when I called the Dutch embassy they said that they thought that my wife was here illegal as her EEAFP expired.
It is just sad how little they seem to know... BTW if you want to profit from visa-free travel to NL (when your wife has the RC) you may be asked for your registration certificate (and also for your marriage certificate) by Dutch immigration.

Gerkema

Post by Gerkema » Tue May 12, 2009 3:49 pm

86ti wrote:[....](when your wife has the RC) [.....]
Whenever that may be... It is truly unbelievable that they are this slow. And the most annoying is that I can't even complain yet, not until 3 June when the 6 months deadline is breached.

caseman
Newly Registered

Post by caseman » Tue May 12, 2009 5:56 pm

86ti wrote:
Gerkema wrote:Question is whether it is possible to apply for a free Schengen visa at the Dutch embassy without a valid EEAFP?
Some embassies require proof of residence which you do not really have. I am not sure if they can really ask you for that as the application for a residence card is optional in the UK. You will have to contact them to see what they want.
From this link (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/eunati ... t#13627112) it appears clear that the EEA FP can be applied for from any embassy regardless of residence status.

Edit: I got this link from another "86ti" post.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue May 12, 2009 6:46 pm

caseman wrote:From this link (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/eunati ... t#13627112) it appears clear that the EEA FP can be applied for from any embassy regardless of residence status.
Yes, but you can only apply for the RC abroad not within the UK.