ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice required: ILR application. Wife's name

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

decentguy_uk

Advice required: ILR application. Wife's name

Post by decentguy_uk » Tue May 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi guys

Myself and my wife (dependant) will be applying for ILR in next 3-4 months.

However, we are planning to give "Life in the UK test" next week.

Question:

My wife has not changed her surname on the passport after our marriage. So do we make our ILR application with her maiden name ? (as it matches with her name on passport)

Or

we apply with her new surname (and provide our marriage certificate as a proof)

Reason for asking this question now is that for "Life in the UK test" we have to supply name. So wondering if we register with her passport name or name after marriage.

Thanks in advance

JiyaKhan
Newly Registered

ILR name

Post by JiyaKhan » Tue May 12, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi dear just make her new passport wid name after marriage and then both will b same so i think u apply wid both name same on each document passport and marriage cert too.
Thanks,
JK

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Tue May 12, 2009 9:35 pm

You should use the name that is in her passport.
'In everything give thanks'

decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk » Tue May 19, 2009 1:57 pm

I may go ahead and apply for change of name in passport....

Again her passport expires in 11 months...this means new passport (might as well do both things at same time)...

Do we need to transfer her dependant visa from old passport to new one ???

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 pm

decentguy_uk wrote:I may go ahead and apply for change of name in passport....

Again her passport expires in 11 months...this means new passport (might as well do both things at same time)...

Do we need to transfer her dependant visa from old passport to new one ???
No, you don't need to transfer the dependant visa, unless you really want to! You can just carry both old and new passports when travelling.

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Tue May 19, 2009 4:33 pm

If it were me, I'd use her current (married) name.

I would want to be able to show two things - one, that following marriage the name that she uses has remained constant, and two, that the only documents with her previous name on them are documents which pre-date marriage.

That way, the reason for using different names at different times is clear and logical. You have a marriage certificate to justify this, and it all makes sense. The caseworker will (surely???) be able to see the logic of this.

If you start mixing it up now, what reason can you give?

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Tue May 19, 2009 4:35 pm

decentguy_uk wrote:Again her passport expires in 11 months...this means new passport (might as well do both things at same time)...
If it's expiring that soon anyway, then yeah, definitely worthwhile getting a new one. It will make it that much simpler, and will save her having to carrying two passports for years.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue May 19, 2009 4:45 pm

kiwi_in_the_uk wrote:If it were me, I'd use her current (married) name.

Application forms usually ask for your name AS IT APPEARS IN PASSPORT. So whether you're married or not, it will have to be the name that is in your passport at the time of the application.

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Tue May 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Rozen wrote:
kiwi_in_the_uk wrote:If it were me, I'd use her current (married) name.

Application forms usually ask for your name AS IT APPEARS IN PASSPORT. So whether you're married or not, it will have to be the name that is in your passport at the time of the application.
I think he's only asking about the name to use for the LIUK test, not the application itself.

Even on the application, I think the ILR forms only ask for "name" without any other comment. Obviously you'd want to check that though!

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: Advice required: ILR application. Wife's name

Post by Rozen » Tue May 19, 2009 7:26 pm

decentguy_uk wrote: So do we make our ILR application with her maiden name ?
Kiwi in the UK, I think you will note that he was asking about which name to put on the ILR application (as per quote). That is why I advised as I did.

decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk » Wed May 20, 2009 6:37 am

Thanks all for information...

Gonna go ahead with LIUK test today with her married name....

Name in application will be her passport name (as it requires NAME AS IT APPEARS ON PASSPORT) but will submit our marriage certificate as an additional proof.

Thanks all...

Good Day.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed May 20, 2009 9:01 am

decentguy_uk wrote:Thanks all for information...

Gonna go ahead with LIUK test today with her married name....

Name in application will be her passport name (as it requires NAME AS IT APPEARS ON PASSPORT) but will submit our marriage certificate as an additional proof.

Thanks all...

Good Day.
Way to go, decentguy_uk! All the best! :)

decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk » Wed May 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Hey guys

Just wanted to update you that we both have passed test (I finished exam in 3 minutes 34 seconds)

However, certificate was given to my wife with her passport name and not married name....Guy at test centre refused to use married name and mentioned that it always has to be passport name.....

Anyway...will see in October if we come across any issues when applying for ILR. Hopefully none.

Cheers

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Thu May 21, 2009 4:13 pm

decentguy_uk wrote:Hey guys

However, certificate was given to my wife with her passport name and not married name....Guy at test centre refused to use married name and mentioned that it always has to be passport name.....
Which is what I've been saying all along!..... Sorry, couldn't resist rubbing it in. :wink:
Congrats on passing your LIUK! Best wishes for your ILR. :)