ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dependant visa for spouse

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

stitcher

dependant visa for spouse

Post by stitcher » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:24 am

Hi there,

Had a question in mind. I got my HSMP on the 31-Jan-2005. My HSMP visa runs out jan-2006. I am getting married in december-2005 and my wife is a HK resident. We were planning that instead of applying for a dependant visa right away after marriage, she should come to UK with me on a visitors visa (HK residents get a 6 months visitor visa on arrival) and then apply for a dependant after I get my HSMP extended.

I am not really sure if this is a good idea, but With just over a month left on my HSMP (when i get married in dec-2005) I am not sure if her application will be accepted if she were to apply right after marriage

any thoughts from anyone !!

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:27 am

I don't think you can switch from visitors visa to a spouse visa from within the UK...

why complicate things, get your visa extended and she can apply for your dependant back in HK

stitcher

Post by stitcher » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:58 am

Olisun thanks mate, I think I we will try to apply for her dependant visa from HK itself because we want to spend this christmas together :) ..

but I was just wondering supposed she comes here (as a visitor) and we get married here in UK instead then what ?
olisun wrote:I don't think you can switch from visitors visa to a spouse visa from within the UK...

why complicate things, get your visa extended and she can apply for your dependant back in HK

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:16 pm

You can't get married in this country while on a visitors visa.

You can apply for a visa to travel here for the purposes of marriage, I don't know much about this visa, its quite new, have a look at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk, or try the ind webpage.

If your future spouse was already here on a visa originally valid for longer than six months with three months remaining she could apply for a certificate of approval to marry in this country, but this is not the case.

You could apply for a fiancee visa, this is a six month visa, with no permission for employment, have a look on the web site above. You would have to sponsor her and prove accommodation and finances to support both of you. Once married she can apply in the UK for a spouse visa. Think you are eligible though not sure, time left on HSMP might effect outcome or eligibility to apply?? Check out Immigration for Family Members section of this site, this topic is covered in detail.

Probably best to opt for dependent under HSMP. Definately do not get a visitors visa, you cannot marry here and even if you could you would not be allowed to swop visas in country, your partner would have to return to apply from her home country.

rao166

Post by rao166 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:26 pm

Hey stitcher,

Why dont you marry now i mean just to be in papers as a couple and in november your wife may apply for visa. In this way, you can be with her on christmis.

Cheers.

PS: just a suggestion.

stitcher

Post by stitcher » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:27 pm

Thanks a lot marie ... phew I was kinna assumed things will work out fine if she comes here as a visitor. Lucky I did not make that mistake, thanks guys for helping me out. I will look at immigration for family members section and see if she can come here as a dependant.

Thanks again
- Moto

stitcher

Post by stitcher » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:31 pm

rao166 wrote:Hey stitcher,

Why dont you marry now i mean just to be in papers as a couple and in november your wife may apply for visa. In this way, you can be with her on christmis.

Cheers.

PS: just a suggestion.
can't :( we have to register with the HK marriage registrar and an appointment needs to be booked 3 months in advance.