ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant Visa Queries - Please respond

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

theprophet
Newly Registered

Dependant Visa Queries - Please respond

Post by theprophet » Sat May 09, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi All,

I have a few queries regarding dependant visa.

I have just got my T1 Visa. I am getting married in December and would like my wife to join in the UK. She is still not sure if she wants to work or study in the UK (she will do one of the above).

- Does a dependant visa let her work?
- Does it allow her to study?

How should we go about planning for her Visa? Any suggestions?

Thanks and Regards,
Anurag
Last edited by theprophet on Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Dependant Visa Queries

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun May 10, 2009 5:48 am

1. Yes she can work on dependent visa.
2. Yes she is allowed to do study. But sometimes college require valid visa for the term of course.

theprophet wrote:Hi All,

I have a few queries regarding dependant visa.

I have just got my T1 Visa. I am getting married in December and would like my wife to join in the UK. She is still not sure if she wants to work or study in the UK (she will do one of the above).

- Does a dependant visa let her work?
- Does it allow her to study?

How should we go about planning for her Visa? Any suggestions?

Thanks and Regards,
Anurag

theprophet
Newly Registered

Post by theprophet » Thu May 14, 2009 10:19 am

Thanks chetan!

Could I apply for a dependent visa before getting married? What is the process for this?

web2005

Post by web2005 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:14 pm

theprophet wrote:Thanks chetan!

Could I apply for a dependent visa before getting married? What is the process for this?
You can only apply for dependent visa to sponsor married partner. You can not apply for TEIR 1 general dependent visa for unmarried partner.

To apply for dependent visa, along with her passport you will need to submit:

1) VAF 10 TIER 1 dependent visa application form.
2) proof of your leave to remain in UK i.e Photo copies of pages showing your personal details and of valid TIER 1 UK visa pages from your passport.
3) Proof of relationship i.e translated and attasted marraige certificates, wedding photographs, wedding invitation cards.
4) Proof of maintenance funds. Certain amount maintained in bank account for last 90 days. Make sure funds never fall below the required amount not even for any single day.
5) Your payslips, job offer letter etc.
6) Tenancy agreement or proof of home ownership to confirm she will have secure accommodation available upon her arrival in UK.

Others please add if I am missing any important document.

theprophet
Newly Registered

Post by theprophet » Thu May 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks!

Could I apply for a tourist visa for her? And then apply for a dependent visa after she comes to the UK?

sreblog

Post by sreblog » Thu May 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Web2005,

can you please confirm me what is the amount that needs to be maintained for dependent visa?

thanks.

vt_76

Post by vt_76 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi All,

Does anybody know whether dependant can switch from Visitor Visa to Tier-1 from UK. I have got my tier-1 for another 3 years last month [HSMP to Tier-1].

My wife is applying for dependant visa for my newborn son, but we have travel plans and his passport not arrived yet. So I am thinking if we can apply and get visitor visa quickly...then after coming to UK, I can apply for both my wife(who currently has HSMP valid until jun) and son's extension to Tier-1.

Thanks,
VT

sreblog

Post by sreblog » Thu May 14, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi Vt,

I am in same situation as yours , my wife is here with me in UK under visitor visa.I had to do this as I had no maitanance of funds for last 3 months.

Unfortunately you need to apply for dependent visa from outside UK. You cannot switch from visitor visa to dependent visa within UK.

Can you please confirm me how much maitenance of funds I required to show for dependent?

Regards
sre

vt_76

Post by vt_76 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi Sreblog,

Thanks for reply.

This is what is mentioned on VFS site for Tier-1

"To qualify for Tier 1 (General) of the Points Based System you must be able to demonstrate that you have funds to support yourself and any dependants. For the main applicant this is £2,800 with a further £1,600 needed for each dependant accompanying you or planning to join you within 12 months of your arrival in the UK. These amounts must be held in your personal bank account for a minimum period of 3 months for which you must show bank statements/other evidence immediately preceding and dated no more than 1 month prior to the date you submit your application. The balance should not fall below the required minimum at any time during the 3 month period."

and following from Tier-1 dependant guidance notes from UKBA site, but obviously this needs to be taken into account when applying from UK

"Dependant of a Tier 1 migrant
If the Tier 1 migrant is outside the United Kingdom or has been present in the United Kingdom 37. for less than 12 months, each family member of the Tier 1 migrant must show that he/she, the Tier 1 migrant, or (for children) his/her other parent who is also legally present in the United Kingdom has at least £1600 to support him/her; this is in addition to any funds the Tier 1 migrant needs to prove he/she has enough money to support himself/herself.
If the Tier 1 migrant has been in the United Kingdom for 12 months or more, each family 38. member of the Tier 1 migrant must have £533 to support himself/herself"

VT
sreblog wrote:Hi Vt,

I am in same situation as yours , my wife is here with me in UK under visitor visa.I had to do this as I had no maitanance of funds for last 3 months.

Unfortunately you need to apply for dependent visa from outside UK. You cannot switch from visitor visa to dependent visa within UK.

Can you please confirm me how much maitenance of funds I required to show for dependent?

Regards
sre

web2005

Post by web2005 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:38 pm

sreblog wrote:Hi Web2005,

can you please confirm me what is the amount that needs to be maintained for dependent visa?

thanks.
If you are applying for TIER 1 General for yourself and your dependent:
You must be able to demonstrate that you have funds to support yourself and any dependants. For the main applicant this is £2,800 with a further £1,600 needed for each dependant accompanying you or planning to join you within 12 months of your arrival in the UK. These amounts must be held in your personal bank account for a minimum period of 3 months, for which you must show bank statements/other evidence immediately preceding and dated no more than 1 month prior to the date you submit your application.

If you are already in UK on TIER 1 general for less than 12 months and want to apply for your partner dependent visa:
Amount to maintain for each dependent is £1600.

If you are in UK on TEIR 1 general for more than 12 months:

Amount to maintain for each dependent is £533

Please note visitors can not change their status. They need to travel back to their home country and apply for entry clearance.

vt_76

Post by vt_76 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi Sri,

I have another question.

My wife went to VFS office to enquire what all the documents required to apply for my Son's visa...so they looked at her HSMP dependant visa and told her what documents are required. But in the mean time I got my Tier-1 extension approved. So does she needs to apply for my son's tier-1 visa or get HSMP dependant visa...and after they both arrive here, apply for extension to both of them?

Also she is submitting all the documents from her side as she is also working (but she has HSMP dependant visa)...not sure whether she needs to make application on my name as I am the main applicant?.

Can somebody please confirm this...Thanks in advance.

VT

sreblog wrote:Hi Vt,

Regards
sre

sreblog

Post by sreblog » Thu May 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks Web2005 its much clear now , I can now make my application for dependent bit early as its only £533. I was on HSMP and moved to Tier 1 on november 2008. But I am in UK since more than 2years. So it should apply to me.

Hi Vt,

For your son I guess you should apply on Tier 1 dependent basis. This is the same buscuite I ate thinking that I was on HSMP (initial nov 06 & extension on nov 08 to tier 1) and no maitenance of funds applied to me .I got married last month and when I tried to apply for dependent visa they said maintanance of funds applies to me.

As your now on tier 1 , you need to apply on tier 1 dependent for your son. Since there is not much time june is next month , it makes sense to apply for extension for both of them on tier 1 dependent visa.

Regards,
sreblog

web2005

Post by web2005 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:54 pm

sreblog wrote:Thanks Web2005 its much clear now , I can now make my application for dependent bit early as its only £533. I was on HSMP and moved to Tier 1 on november 2008. But I am in UK since more than 2years. So it should apply to me.

Hi Vt,

For your son I guess you should apply on Tier 1 dependent basis. This is the same buscuite I ate thinking that I was on HSMP (initial nov 06 & extension on nov 08 to tier 1) and no maitenance of funds applied to me .I got married last month and when I tried to apply for dependent visa they said maintanance of funds applies to me.

As your now on tier 1 , you need to apply on tier 1 dependent for your son. Since there is not much time june is next month , it makes sense to apply for extension for both of them on tier 1 dependent visa.

Regards,
sreblog
You dont need to show maintenance funds if you were granted initial HSMP visa and extention under old rules i.e u never switched your status from HSMP to TIER 1.

If you were given extention under TIER 1 then you will need to apply for dependent visa under TIER 1 and will need to prove the maintenance funds.

My my recently applied for HSMP dependent visa. She didn't have to show maintenance funds as I am in UK under old HSMP rules and got my visa extended under the old HSMP rules.

theprophet
Newly Registered

Post by theprophet » Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Guys,

Could you confirm that I can't apply for a dependent visa a couple of months before I get married?

I think the UK should recognize unmarried partners as well. Could someone please clarify the rules on this?

sreblog

Post by sreblog » Thu May 14, 2009 4:22 pm

web2005 wrote:
sreblog wrote:Thanks Web2005 its much clear now , I can now make my application for dependent bit early as its only £533. I was on HSMP and moved to Tier 1 on november 2008. But I am in UK since more than 2years. So it should apply to me.

Hi Vt,

Regards,
sreblog
You dont need to show maintenance funds if you were granted initial HSMP visa and extention under old rules i.e u never switched your status from HSMP to TIER 1.

If you were given extention under TIER 1 then you will need to apply for dependent visa under TIER 1 and will need to prove the maintenance funds.

My my recently applied for HSMP dependent visa. She didn't have to show maintenance funds as I am in UK under old HSMP rules and got my visa extended under the old HSMP rules.

Hi Web2005,

Sorry, my initial HSMP approval was on sep 2006. Then I applied for extention using FLR tier 1 application on nov 08 . I recieved stamping as Tier 1 migrant on my passport ,this means that I have been switched to tier 1?

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu May 14, 2009 4:22 pm

theprophet wrote:Guys,
I think the UK should recognize unmarried partners as well. Could someone please clarify the rules on this?

Yes, it does rcognize. They have working relationship for last 2 years. And you need to prove that, if it does.

theprophet
Newly Registered

Post by theprophet » Thu May 14, 2009 6:48 pm

How do I prove a working relationship? What all is required to prove that?

How does one manage to travel with their spouse immediately after the wedding not using a visitor visa for the spouse?

theprophet
Newly Registered

Post by theprophet » Fri May 15, 2009 10:14 am

Somebody please respond!!

Is there no way to travel for a newly wed couple to the UK on a dependant visa straight after the wedding?

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Fri May 15, 2009 10:30 am

theprophet wrote:Somebody please respond!!

Is there no way to travel for a newly wed couple to the UK on a dependant visa straight after the wedding?
If you can prove that you are having working relationship, could be proved by joint bills, phone call records etc.

Or whats problem in getting marriage certificate immediately and applying for her dependent visa. Dependent visa do not usually take more than 4-5 days.

theprophet
Newly Registered

Post by theprophet » Fri May 15, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks Gothca!

Any link where they specify exact proofs for working relationship?

web2005

Post by web2005 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:30 am

sreblog wrote:
web2005 wrote:

Hi Vt,

Regards,
sreblog

Hi Web2005,

Sorry, my initial HSMP approval was on sep 2006. Then I applied for extention using FLR tier 1 application on nov 08 . I recieved stamping as Tier 1 migrant on my passport ,this means that I have been switched to tier 1?
Yes, if extention on your passport is stamped with TIER 1 this means you switched to TIER 1.