ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please assist...what are my chances & did I choose right

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

integrale
Newly Registered

Please assist...what are my chances & did I choose right

Post by integrale » Mon May 03, 2004 7:00 am

Hello all,

my wife and I are considering moving to the UK from the US via the HSMP programme. We both have master's degrees, over 5 years of experience in our respective careers (me an engineer, she a school counselor with a pyschology degree).

We scored 85 in the HSMP points scale.

My question is what are our chances in getting working visas via this programme? Also, I already contacted another HSMP agent called Skill Clear...are they any good? Please be objective with that answer as I know I'm posting on another agent's board but I'd like an honest opinion as it's life alterating issue for us. I chose Skill Clear purely on the fact that they came up first in my search and they seemed legitimate and safe to deal with.

One other comment/question. My family immigrated to the UK in 1974 where I obtained my residency visa in 1978-79 I believe. We then moved to the USA in 1982 but I retained my visa until 1988 at which I time I did not return to the to renew my visa (for personal/family issues I was unable to).

I've always held England and its way of life near my heart and would truly enjoy the chance to return as a professional, productive citizen of that country.

Any help/opinions/guidance/ would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

anjalik
Newly Registered

Post by anjalik » Mon May 03, 2004 1:41 pm

You can apply yourself without any help if all your paperwork as required by HSMP is in order. I did it direct.
UK is a very good place to be.

integrale
Newly Registered

Post by integrale » Mon May 03, 2004 5:06 pm

anjalik wrote:You can apply yourself without any help if all your paperwork as required by HSMP is in order. I did it direct.
UK is a very good place to be.
I do realize that I could do it myself. I was thinking of that. However, is there any advantage of having an agency help me do it? I was thinking along the lines of their experience and know-how helping me put a thorough and very presentable application together. Many apps seem to be rejected simply due to small errors and omitions.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon May 03, 2004 5:17 pm

The company who hosts this BB is having consultancy services for HSMP . There are many others too. But code-of-conduct of BB does not allow to advertise names.

If you are confident about your skillsets, experience, education and if that is enough to get >=65 points, go ahead and apply.

Good luck
TF

integrale
Newly Registered

Post by integrale » Mon May 03, 2004 5:42 pm

timefactor wrote:The company who hosts this BB is having consultancy services for HSMP . There are many others too. But code-of-conduct of BB does not allow to advertise names.

If you are confident about your skillsets, experience, education and if that is enough to get >=65 points, go ahead and apply.

Good luck
TF
Thanks for yor swift reply...I have only one question...when say I should apply...do you mean via the consultancy firm or by myself?

anjalik
Newly Registered

Post by anjalik » Tue May 04, 2004 5:32 am

Considering the fact that both you and your wife are highly qualified, chances of mistakes may not be there. Can you provide break up of your points that you are making and what certificates you have?

integrale
Newly Registered

Post by integrale » Tue May 04, 2004 8:29 pm

anjalik wrote:Considering the fact that both you and your wife are highly qualified, chances of mistakes may not be there. Can you provide break up of your points that you are making and what certificates you have?

Hello anjalik,

1) My wife and I are both over 28.
2) We both possess master's degrees
MYSELF - BS in Aerospace Engineering
MS in Mechanical Engineering

MY WIFE - BS in Psychology
MS in Student/School Counseling
3) We both have over 5 years of experience in our respective fields
4) I make over 40,000 pounds, she makes around 30,000.

The points are as follows:

Education - 25 Points
Experience - 25 Points
Earnings - 25 Points - Country Code A and Income Range £40,000 -43,749
This application includes a spouse or partner with a degree or
equivalent education - 10 Points.

I am now in the process of obtaining recommendation letters from my previous employers. It seems like a daunting process.

I'm sure I'll need to notarize many of my documents...such as passport copies, birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc...what is the best place to have those done from the UK Immigration agent's point of view?

Also, does anyone have a nutshell approach as to what needs to be included in the application and what documents need to included, what must accompany them, and is fast track approach a good way to do this?

Thank you in advance.

btravi
Newly Registered

Post by btravi » Sat May 08, 2004 10:53 am

Before doing all the checking and double checking for your application, please do check whether
1. opportunities are available
2. how long will it take for either one of you to get a job
3. are u both ready to face the questions :
a. do u have any local qualification?
b. do u have any local experience?
4. u have enough money for at least 6 months period of survival.

Think twice to fillup the forms but think many more for taking a life turning decision.!!
:oops:

Melyni
Newly Registered

Application?

Post by Melyni » Sat May 08, 2004 12:32 pm

My personal belief is that if you are careful, you don't need the services of an agency. From what I understand, using an agency does not benefit you in the eyes of the Home Office.

I suggest that you read carefully all of the advice and carefully craft your application. Mine (single applicant over 28 from US) was 72 pages w/ all of the supporting documentation...asset statements, proposed expenditure budget, job postings, etc.

So, it's not a quick process, but I suggest that you act as soon as possible. I applied in February (and my waiting period is about 12 wks). The backlog is growing every day and word on the "cyber" street expects what was once a 24 hour approval process to stretch out to 6 mo.

Best wishes! - Melyni

integrale
Newly Registered

Post by integrale » Mon May 10, 2004 1:12 am

btravi wrote:Before doing all the checking and double checking for your application, please do check whether
1. opportunities are available
2. how long will it take for either one of you to get a job
3. are u both ready to face the questions :
a. do u have any local qualification?
b. do u have any local experience?
4. u have enough money for at least 6 months period of survival.

Think twice to fillup the forms but think many more for taking a life turning decision.!!
:oops:
Thanks for the advice. Oh...I've been thinking about it for years now. It's been a long time coming for me wanting to go back to Europe...life in the States is absolutely, positively NOT what I am looking forward to for the rest of my life.

The questions about local qualifications and experience....how does the Home Office expect someone who's immigrating to the UK to have local experience and qualifications? Or am I misinterpreting what you mean by "local?"