ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long list of questions, praying you dont get bored.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

krishnasac
Newly Registered

Long list of questions, praying you dont get bored.

Post by krishnasac » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:32 pm

Hello All,

Perhaps several of my questions have been already put forward in this board and have possibly been answered too, but I guess I am too lazy to go through all the posts to look for them, so I'll ask them anyway.

1. I am a citizen and resident of India. I would like to know how the Income Level is calculated. Is it the sum total of the previous 12 months' Gross Salary or is it the sum total of previous 12 months' Nett Salary? The pay stub in Indian companies is divided into two columns, one for Payables [Basic Salary, House Rent Allowance, Medical Allowance, Special Allowance, Transport Allowance, Bonus] and the other for Deductions [Provident Fund, Income Tax, Professional Tax]. As you'd have figured out already, the sum of Payables is the Gross Salary and Payables minus the Deductions is the Nett Salary. Besides this, there is also a 'Employer Contribution to Provident Fund' component which is listed separately, but IS a part of your CTC [Cost To Company, Annual Compensation]. I am fairly sure that even if I exclude the 'Employer Contribution to Provident Fund' and just add up the Gross Salaries of the last 12 months, I could easily surpass the GBP 5000 cut-off set to award 25 points to Indian citizens. Am I correct in my assumption(s)?

2. Somebody told me it is the taxable salary for the last 12 months. Now, this again is a very abstract term. In India, you are allowed rebates for rent, expenses on transport from home to work and back, certain investments in Govt. bonds and securities, Medical expenses, donations to charitiesm etc. The deductions and rebates are applied at various stages of tax calculation and the figure you enter in your Tax returns is far less than the actual money you make, after which further deductions are allowed and the amount on which tax is calculated is about GBP 2000. The question is, will the dept. assessing my Income Level consider GBP 2000 as my salary or the total of Gross Salaries for the last 12 months as stated in the Pay stubs?

3. I took IELTS in September 2003 and obtained an Overall Band Score of 8.5/9 which I think is a good score. Is this going to boost my chances of HSMP/EC approval? I may apply next year too depending to certain personal circumstances. Will I be asked to retake IELTS because the certification would be 3 years old then?

4. I obtained a B.A degree from University of Delhi after 3 years of full time study in 1999. I've been employed since. I signed up for Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications through Distance Learning and upon completion, I signed up for Masters in Computer Science, also through Distance Learning. Am I eligible for 25 points for Masters? Should I approach NARIC for a 'Comparability of Qualifications' If NARIC compares my Masters as an equivalent of a Masters Degree in UK, should that be fine or will UK HSMP assessment still pose problems?

5. The graduation ceremony takes place an year after the final results are declared. To help students start their career and/or continue education, Universities in India award what is called a 'Provisional Ceriticate' as a stop-gap arrangement. Is this certificate and transcripts and a letter from the University sufficient to obtain a NARIC comparability letter?

6. I have worked for 2 companies so far. 1st company Dec 1999 - Nov. 2003, present company Dec 2003 - date. The first company I was working for was acquired by another firm earlier this year and some of my former colleagues state that the curremt management is not very cooperative. I fear they will not acknowledge a call/request from UK/BHC to verify my employment there. I do not wish this to be cause of rejection. So, would it be safe if I just say that I've been employed since Dec 2003 and claim 25 points for 2 years of experience instead of 35 points for 4+ years? Please bear in mind that I will be applying after Dec 2005 so I would have completed 2 years in the present company.

I know this is an very long post and if I you have gotten this far, I am extremely grateful to you. All the same, I humbly request you to help me out in as many ways as you can. Thank you for reading, have a nice day, and wish you all the very best in life.

Regards,

Krishna.

krishnasac
Newly Registered

Post by krishnasac » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:57 pm

Could someone answer at least this part?

1. I am a citizen and resident of India. I would like to know how the Income Level is calculated. Is it the sum total of the previous 12 months' Gross Salary or is it the sum total of previous 12 months' Nett Salary? The pay stub in Indian companies is divided into two columns, one for Payables [Basic Salary, House Rent Allowance, Medical Allowance, Special Allowance, Transport Allowance, Bonus] and the other for Deductions [Provident Fund, Income Tax, Professional Tax]. As you'd have figured out already, the sum of Payables is the Gross Salary and Payables minus the Deductions is the Nett Salary. Besides this, there is also a 'Employer Contribution to Provident Fund' component which is listed separately, but IS a part of your CTC [Cost To Company, Annual Compensation]. I am fairly sure that even if I exclude the 'Employer Contribution to Provident Fund' and just add up the Gross Salaries of the last 12 months, I could easily surpass the GBP 5000 cut-off set to award 25 points to Indian citizens. Am I correct in my assumption(s)?

2. Somebody told me it is the taxable salary for the last 12 months. Now, this again is a very abstract term. In India, you are allowed rebates for rent, expenses on transport from home to work and back, certain investments in Govt. bonds and securities, Medical expenses, donations to charitiesm etc. The deductions and rebates are applied at various stages of tax calculation and the figure you enter in your Tax returns is far less than the actual money you make, after which further deductions are allowed and the amount on which tax is calculated is about GBP 2000. The question is, will the dept. assessing my Income Level consider GBP 2000 as my salary or the total of Gross Salaries for the last 12 months as stated in the Pay stubs?

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:59 am

Salary is caluclated on the basis of your IT returns (or Form 16)
We have several fields in the form but finally what it counts for HomeOffice is the "Net Taxable Salary" which should be 5000 GBP or more when converted. I guess conversion is taken on the date of application received.
No need to confuse with housing/pF etc....
Oh, you have composed a lengthy mail. Do not worry on the "Ability to speak English langauge" because your education is in English only, that proof is suffice. hope this answers your BIG query :)
FYI - you need to keep your queries short and refer the other posts before posting......... ;)

Golauk

Post by Golauk » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:49 am

krishnasac

1 Your salary for HSMP purpose would be the grand total of salary which is taxed and it is that figure which comes after deduction of HRA,EPF,Car expenses and other expenses which the company pays you on your behalf. e.g
your monthly salary is 100
(-) HRA 2
(-)EPF 1
(-)CE 1
(-) Sundry expenses 1
------
------
so tax is payable for 95 and annual income = 95 * 12 = 1140

convert this figure in £ and see if it gives you earning points.

I think this wud help you :roll:

GolaUk

rao166

Post by rao166 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:35 pm

Well Khrishnac

I have the same structure of slary slip as of yours. But see what is your annual income mentioned on your income tax return, in my case its my GROSS income not the NET one. If you can show to HO by the salary certificate of your employer taht you have been taxed on your GROSS income and same value is being showed on your tax return. I think it would be enough.

simar

Post by simar » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:03 pm

>>>> THEY WILL JUST SEE EITHTER YOUR FORM 16 ORIGINAL OR SARAL FORM . In case the required minimum earning that they want are not listed in your last fincaial year better work hard and earn that much in this finical year. Complete objective points by this proper way
>>>>>>>>> Other way can be if your finance deptt write-up that your taxable income is Rs xxxx for the period of last 12 months. This might work or might not. Absolutly caseworker subjective assement

>>>>>> Forget about counting PF, gratuity, travel allowance , car plan, loan etc. Not point in debating. You will just waste your time. CTC is good for nothing to them.
By the way the money your earn even on saral form should be the one which you earn because of your “high skills”

taloola
Newly Registered

Somebody please reply its urgent....

Post by taloola » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:35 pm

Hello All,

I am thinking to apply for HSMP in Sept05 but need this advice to prepare documnets on past earnings urgently.

However my query in Brief:

-- Cuntry1 -> 4 months - Working Got Offer for Country2.(Oct04 -Dec 04)

-- Country2 -> 7 Months - Working (Feb05 - Sept05 )Applying in Sept05

-- Home Country3 -> 1 Month - Jobless waiting for Visa Processing for Country2. (Jan 05)

So my query is whether my application is eligible for the Prorata (based on my country2 earnings-as i will be here for the most of the period of the last 12 months) or they will be calculating the salary only for the months in which i have earned the income(in my case 11months)???

Many Thanks
Taloola