ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help needed -Residency rights for a parent

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MAKUSA
BANNED

Help needed -Residency rights for a parent

Post by MAKUSA » Sun May 17, 2009 2:30 pm

I need advice for a friend's mother.
My mate's is a dental doctor (UK citizen) with his own practice and he wants to get UK residency for his mother who has a five year uk visa and has been a frequent visitor to the UK over the years. He wants to know the best avenues available to him with this regard.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun May 17, 2009 4:20 pm

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

But his mother doesn't have an automatic right to settlement just because he is British.

MAKUSA
BANNED

Settlement

Post by MAKUSA » Sun May 17, 2009 6:17 pm

JAJ wrote:http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

But his mother doesn't have an automatic right to settlement just because he is British.
Thanks for the link but i never said just because he is British that she has an automatic right to settlement, just asking for info

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun May 17, 2009 6:47 pm

That is usually people's next statement when they find their parent or friend's parent isn't elligible for settlement in my experience! I do not think any offence was meant.

If she is under 65 is is extremely difficult to get a settlement entry clearance to join a child in the UK. I have read a case where the woman has no electricity, shares a house and lives in a refugee camp in Pakistan because she fled there from Afghanistan, the application has still been refused. In that case because she had relatives with her. Even if she is over 65 she would have to be mainly or wholly financialy dependent on her son and not have relatives to turn to for support, which is still a very high test.

So, how old is she and where does she live?

MAKUSA
BANNED

Ta

Post by MAKUSA » Sun May 17, 2009 6:51 pm

PaperPusher wrote:That is usually people's next statement when they find their parent or friend's parent isn't elligible for settlement in my experience! I do not think any offence was meant.

If she is under 65 is is extremely difficult to get a settlement entry clearance to join a child in the UK. I have read a case where the woman has no electricity, shares a house and lives in a refugee camp in Pakistan because she fled there from Afghanistan, the application has still been refused. In that case because she had relatives with her. Even if she is over 65 she would have to be mainly or wholly financialy dependent on her son and not have relatives to turn to for support, which is still a very high test.

So, how old is she and where does she live?
She is 62 and lives in Cuba.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun May 17, 2009 6:57 pm

So the test is:
(e) parent or grandparent under the age of 65 if living alone outside the United Kingdom in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in the United Kingdom;
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... sandother/

Does she have relatives in Cuba, if so what is her relationship to them?

MAKUSA
BANNED

one brother

Post by MAKUSA » Sun May 17, 2009 7:04 pm

PaperPusher wrote:So the test is:
(e) parent or grandparent under the age of 65 if living alone outside the United Kingdom in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in the United Kingdom;
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... sandother/

Does she have relatives in Cuba, if so what is her relationship to them?
i know he has an only brother (lives in the States) would need to find out about other relatives.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun May 17, 2009 7:07 pm

It would be a very hard application because of her age. Even after 65 it is not straight forward. Perhaps your friend should get legal advice.

MAKUSA
BANNED

Thanks

Post by MAKUSA » Sun May 17, 2009 7:12 pm

PaperPusher wrote:It would be a very hard application because of her age. Even after 65 it is not straight forward. Perhaps your friend should get legal advice.
Thanks for that