ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Eligibility

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

baskey

Naturalisation Eligibility

Post by baskey » Tue May 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi all,

Can a dependent of an ILR holder apply for naturalisation after 3 yrs of residence in the UK and last one year as ILR holder?

Thanks,

Baskey

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue May 19, 2009 8:43 pm

5 years. 3 years is for spouse of a British Citizen.

decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk » Tue May 26, 2009 5:32 pm

I thought that if you are Work permit dependant, you can apply for Naturalisation after 1 year of ILR (along with work permit holder)

Please correct me if I am wrong

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Tue May 26, 2009 5:58 pm

I had the same question but what I found so far is same as f2k said.
I am sure there is more than that but unable to find it in the BIA website.

I have my friend in similar situation who's wife joined him 2.5 years before ILR and both of them successfully applied for both ILR and naturalisation in by 2007.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed May 27, 2009 3:45 pm

decentguy_uk wrote:I thought that if you are Work permit dependant, you can apply for Naturalisation after 1 year of ILR (along with work permit holder)

Please correct me if I am wrong
Yes you need to have spent 1 year with ILR PLUS 4years to make the 5years as required by the nationality act.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed May 27, 2009 3:50 pm

gainvidya wrote:I had the same question but what I found so far is same as f2k said.
I am sure there is more than that but unable to find it in the BIA website.

I have my friend in similar situation who's wife joined him 2.5 years before ILR and both of them successfully applied for both ILR and naturalisation in by 2007.
I dont think you will find anything specific to a 'dependents' application for naturalisation. This is because applications for BC are treated individually (you can apply at the same time and take advantage of the discounted rate) and so each person has to meet their own time requirements, good character etc.

When your friend applied, how many years had his wife been in the UK when she was naturalised

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:57 pm

This site seems to be saying something different

http://www.legalcentre.org/index.php?ca ... ubmenu=108

"Naturalization after three years in the UK as a spouse of a UK Citizen or someone settled in the UK"

Although cannot find a direct reference from BIA website

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:20 pm

gainvidya wrote:This site seems to be saying something different

http://www.legalcentre.org/index.php?ca ... ubmenu=108

"Naturalization after three years in the UK as a spouse of a UK Citizen or someone settled in the UK"

Although cannot find a direct reference from BIA website
This is you can find on the UKBA website Here

This is for someone who is married to a British citizen or someone with ILR. Not for a dependent of someone on limited leave e.g HSMP, WP, TIER 1,2

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:35 pm

f2k wrote: This is you can find on the UKBA website Here

This is for someone who is married to a British citizen or someone with ILR. Not for a dependent of someone on limited leave e.g HSMP, WP, TIER 1,2
Really? I've looked at your link, and don't see where it says you can naturalize after three years as a spouse of someone with ILR! Spouse of BC, yes!

Sten

Post by Sten » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:43 pm

f2k wrote:This is for someone who is married to a British citizen or someone with ILR. Not for a dependent of someone on limited leave e.g HSMP, WP, TIER 1,2
What if the main HSMP applicant obtains citizenship, can his dependant apply straight away based on the "married" criteria ?

Technically she will have 3 years in the UK and married to a UK citizen. Does she have to be married to the British citizen for all these 3 years?
Good luck !

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Rozen

You are absolutely right. I got confused with Citizenship and applying for ILR. If you are married to someone who is settled here you can come and apply for ILR after 2years but for citizenship you will have to wait longer

cancel_all
Newly Registered

Post by cancel_all » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:20 pm

THis is our case
I have been here for 3 years + ILR for one year = 4 in total
My husband has 6 years as self employed+ 1 year with ILR= 7 in total
We are planning to apply for naturalization together.
He should have no problems in getting his certificate, but because I don't have the 5 years I don't think I will get.
But then, if he gets his, that makes his British and I would not need to be here for 5 years, only 3.
Should we apply together or wait until he gets his certificate and then send mine?

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 pm

cancel_all wrote:THis is our case
I have been here for 3 years + ILR for one year = 4 in total
My husband has 6 years as self employed+ 1 year with ILR= 7 in total
We are planning to apply for naturalization together.
He should have no problems in getting his certificate, but because I don't have the 5 years I don't think I will get.
But then, if he gets his, that makes his British and I would not need to be here for 5 years, only 3.
Should we apply together or wait until he gets his certificate and then send mine?
I think you answered yourself before you asked the question.

Yes you are right you are most likely to be refused if you apply together b4 you reach 5years.
When he becomes British, ie when he receives the naturalisation certificate after attending the citizenship ceremony then you will be able to apply as spouse and only need to complete 3years.