ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My experience in court - maintenance fund appeal

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alexis2000

My experience in court - maintenance fund appeal

Post by alexis2000 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi,

I'd like to quickly share my experience in court appealing against the HO decision for maintenance funds.
Got to court by 9.30, waited for 30 min and entered into the court room where I had about 4 appellants before me. i was there with my lawyer.
In the end was my case turn by around 2pm after one hour break. First the Judge; HO person and my lawyer made sure they had the same documents such as bank statements, after the began to identify which days i was below the 800 pounds and all agreed were only 2 days right at the beginning of the period. My lawyer said that i dropped down cause i had urgent bills to pay and if i had know that i needed the money every single day I could have paid after those 2 day hence avoid the gap then I said i was unaware of the guidance and misinterpreted it that was a naive technical error.
My lawyer said also that the 800 was a guidance and not a rule and the case worker should of had applied common sense when assessing my application. Also he showed examples of previous similar cases to mine where other judged had allowed the appeal ( they were really similar to mine). then the F.. HO office representative said that wouldn't allow it and then we said that the judge should it. Judge asked me if I had money to cover the period somewhere else where I replied by saying that I don't.
Then the Judge told us he'll send us the decision by post.

Can't tell what the decision will be but in the worst of the scenarios I am going to high court to fight - won't let this unfair system put me down. :)

Best.

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: My experience in court - maintenance fund appeal

Post by yasa » Tue May 19, 2009 1:12 pm

alexis2000 wrote:Hi,

I'd like to quickly share my experience in court appealing against the HO decision for maintenance funds.
Got to court by 9.30, waited for 30 min and entered into the court room where I had about 4 appellants before me. i was there with my lawyer.
In the end was my case turn by around 2pm after one hour break. First the Judge; HO person and my lawyer made sure they had the same documents such as bank statements, after the began to identify which days i was below the 800 pounds and all agreed were only 2 days right at the beginning of the period. My lawyer said that i dropped down cause i had urgent bills to pay and if i had know that i needed the money every single day I could have paid after those 2 day hence avoid the gap then I said i was unaware of the guidance and misinterpreted it that was a naive technical error.
My lawyer said also that the 800 was a guidance and not a rule and the case worker should of had applied common sense when assessing my application. Also he showed examples of previous similar cases to mine where other judged had allowed the appeal ( they were really similar to mine). then the F.. HO office representative said that wouldn't allow it and then we said that the judge should it. Judge asked me if I had money to cover the period somewhere else where I replied by saying that I don't.

Can't tell what the decision will be but in the worst of the scenarios I am going to high court to fight - won't let this unfair system put me down. :)

Best.
Good luck
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

Jack_Hammer
BANNED

Post by Jack_Hammer » Tue May 19, 2009 5:35 pm

I can feel the pain when you are this close. I also didn't know they are very strict about it until late... missed two weeks before the money becomes available in my account. My visa ends end of May. I am going home and applying from there after three months since here I don't stand a chance and the processing time is even longer....

You are right, it is not fair but it is the LAW lol

All the best...
________
Lebanese Cooking
Last edited by Jack_Hammer on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ud
Newly Registered

Post by ud » Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 pm

I also appeared in the court as my balance dropped for few day, again unknowingly. i got rejection as i had few more days alexis2000 but i wish him best of luck and hope his appeal will be allowed. as its is just a matter of 2 days i can think u will get through if the judge applies his common sense and doesnt reat being very fussy.

i have appealed in the high court, decision pending. lets see how it goes

best of luck

jack199
Member of Standing

Post by jack199 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:33 am

I my case my balance did not even dropped and HO still refused me on the basis that the HO caseworker took my School FEES ACCOUNT STATEMENT as my financial account statement (as it said Account Statement for Jack...... where because i paid the fees in instalments and the balance was dropping every 3 month and at the end of the course it came 0 , ZILCH, which he though that i had no money in my account) and refused my visa.

The funny thing is that the HO Caseworker totally ignored my Bank letter confirming the money each month for the last 4 months where i have £800 ALL THE TIME.

Now i have won my appeal which only lasted for under 1 minute and at the hearing the HO rep was very embaraced.

Now tell me how stupid is that????

jack199
Member of Standing

Post by jack199 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:33 am

Best.
I wish you all the best

alexis2000

Post by alexis2000 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Fantastic my appeal was dismissed by the judge grrrrrrr :evil:
Gotta see my lawyer on tuesday to try reappealing to the judge's determination. In the worst of the cases I'm getting my £2800 ready.

ps. received the letter after 7 days - how quick was that

This sucks folks!!

Alexis2000 :)

Best.
Last edited by alexis2000 on Mon May 25, 2009 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diokpa
Member of Standing

Post by Diokpa » Sun May 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Why don't you just go home and apply? If you have family back home who has got over £2800 in their account, just make them add you as joint account holder. The appeal process is just too long and stressful, if I knew it would take so long to get my visa....I would have just gone back home and reapplied. Just my thoughts.
We are all pencils in the hand of our creator~ Unknown

alexis2000

Post by alexis2000 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:30 pm

did you appeal to the high court for reconsideration?

Diokpa wrote:Why don't you just go home and apply? If you have family back home who has got over £2800 in their account, just make them add you as joint account holder. The appeal process is just too long and stressful, if I knew it would take so long to get my visa....I would have just gone back home and reapplied. Just my thoughts.

inputsOnHSMP

Post by inputsOnHSMP » Mon May 25, 2009 12:00 pm

it is unfair to blame the rules when it is your own ignorance that results into such decisions. Who is to blame? you or the law? Please decide for yourself.
Enough time is given for people to understand the changes in the laws and if even then people commit such mistakes, they are responsible and no one else. The system is not unfair as far as my experiences are concerned.

alexis2000

Post by alexis2000 » Mon May 25, 2009 12:12 pm

To me the system is unfair if you have been here in this country for 8 years under different visas and now due to a naive technical error all your plans of settlement in the UK are gone because the HO case worker didn't apply discretionary on your visa application. HO has created a powerful mechanism of inmigration control which enables them reduce immigration by refusing visas. Good for them.

inputsOnHSMP wrote:it is unfair to blame the rules when it is your own ignorance that results into such decisions. Who is to blame? you or the law? Please decide for yourself.
Enough time is given for people to understand the changes in the laws and if even then people commit such mistakes, they are responsible and no one else. The system is not unfair as far as my experiences are concerned.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Tue May 26, 2009 12:12 am

alexis2000 wrote:To me the system is unfair if you have been here in this country for 8 years under different visas and now due to a naive technical error all your plans of settlement in the UK are gone because the HO case worker didn't apply discretionary on your visa application. HO has created a powerful mechanism of inmigration control which enables them reduce immigration by refusing visas. Good for them.

inputsOnHSMP wrote:it is unfair to blame the rules when it is your own ignorance that results into such decisions. Who is to blame? you or the law? Please decide for yourself.
This rule is implemented in late 2008 and everybody knows its the biggest reason of visa refusals..... So who is responsible U or Home office.... Haven't HO clearly defined it in their guidelines or u think they just enforced it straight away....
=======================
=======================

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Tue May 26, 2009 12:13 am

U r spot on dude...
=======================
=======================

alexis2000

Post by alexis2000 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:44 am

Do you know how long does the high court reconsideration process take?
Thanks dude.
yasa wrote:
U r spot on dude...

jack199
Member of Standing

Post by jack199 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:45 am

alexis2000 wrote:Do you know how long does the high court reconsideration process take?
Thanks dude.
yasa wrote:
U r spot on dude...
Its the same when you go thriugh the normal appeal process same timings but different people may experience different timings based on the Q

THENDIST

Post by THENDIST » Wed May 27, 2009 11:24 am

alexis2000 - on what basis are you planning to appeal the decision? I understand that the only criteria for appealing - and you have to convince the high court judge - is that the judge was wrong in interpreting the law and that there was a material error in law. What does your lawyer say about this - as far as success is concerned?

alexis2000

Post by alexis2000 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:13 pm

Well, first we are going to be applying for reconsideration to the AIT and if the senior judge accepts reconsidering it we must stress the fact that I've been in the UK for the last 8 years hence I have established roots and a life, and since all these new rules are quite recent there aren't many precedents hence this new senior judge could apply a more reasonable criteria/discretionary on my appeal (law hasn't been written. its all about judgment). On the other hand am aware that I can only reapply for a PSW visa until October 2009 since my degree was granted in October 2008 so I have to keep that in mind too. I'm a little concern about the future waiting times should be reconsideration is granted to review.
Has any one have experienced reconsideration here??
Thanks folks!!!

THENDIST wrote:alexis2000 - on what basis are you planning to appeal the decision? I understand that the only criteria for appealing - and you have to convince the high court judge - is that the judge was wrong in interpreting the law and that there was a material error in law. What does your lawyer say about this - as far as success is concerned?

manjit14
Newly Registered

Alexis2000, just go home and apply from there

Post by manjit14 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:17 pm

I always advice everyone to go with a solicitor and one will be allright, in your case I am not sure why you blurted out that you made a 'naive mistake' and said even further that you misinterpreted the information, saying such a thing is such a silly statement to give before a judge, even though they are bored dead out of life, they still can see very clearly you were literally begging and do not have a leg to stand on, your solicitor was doing a fine job, had he not educated you properly!! and now you want to go to high court!! for what, this is just a PSW and you will get it eventually, so why waste anymore time and money here!! one thing I must tell you though, the timelines for applying from your home country will be longer than applying from UK, whoever says otherwise I would question him/her.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Wed May 27, 2009 10:36 pm

alexis2000 wrote:Well, first we are going to be applying for reconsideration to the AIT and if the senior judge accepts reconsidering it we must stress the fact that I've been in the UK for the last 8 years hence I have established roots and a life, and since all these new rules are quite recent there aren't many precedents hence this new senior judge could apply a more reasonable criteria/discretionary on my appeal (law hasn't been written. its all about judgment). On the other hand am aware that I can only reapply for a PSW visa until October 2009 since my degree was granted in October 2008 so I have to keep that in mind too. I'm a little concern about the future waiting times should be reconsideration is granted to review.
Thanks folks!!!

THENDIST wrote:alexis2000 - on what basis are you planning to appeal the decision? I understand that the only criteria for appealing - and you have to convince the high court judge - is that the judge was wrong in interpreting the law and that there was a material error in law. What does your lawyer say about this - as far as success is concerned?
Ignorance is no defence. You breached the laws, you were turned down. Go home and apply again.

alexis2000

Post by alexis2000 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:55 am

meats wrote:
alexis2000 wrote:Well, first we are going to be applying for reconsideration to the AIT and if the senior judge accepts reconsidering it we must stress the fact that I've been in the UK for the last 8 years hence I have established roots and a life, and since all these new rules are quite recent there aren't many precedents hence this new senior judge could apply a more reasonable criteria/discretionary on my appeal (law hasn't been written. its all about judgment). On the other hand am aware that I can only reapply for a PSW visa until October 2009 since my degree was granted in October 2008 so I have to keep that in mind too. I'm a little concern about the future waiting times should be reconsideration is granted to review.
Thanks folks!!!

Ignorance is no defence. You breached the laws, you were turned down. Go home and apply again.

zarikashif

Post by zarikashif » Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 am

i agree with the other guys that you should apply from the home country but there is one problem after two years when u will apply for indefinate after 10 years because there must be no gap in your last 10 years .i advice you to maintain account in your home country 0f 2800 pound and in the mean while go to court with your solicitor but you should wel prepare for that .my appeal was of 800pound and i went alone in the court and won it but it depends upon your luck and your confidence

tuhadda_fuffar

Post by tuhadda_fuffar » Thu May 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Best.
Alexis..... why don’t you put ur name as a joint account holder with your parents account back home? The judge clearly asked you, as per your statement, that if you had money somewhere else during this time. You can show him this evidence. get an affidavit of support from your joint account holder (that he does not have any objection if you use this money in the manner you want to ) and the bank statements and apply for reconsideration. Otherwise its no point reapplying. If you are arranging £2800 back home, get those documents if you wish to apply from UK. Finally, you can add up multiple account balances to meet £800 requirement!!!! Good luck.

alexis2000

Post by alexis2000 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:47 pm

I inquired about that option too but banks in my home country do not permit add holders their bank accounts. I'm organizing the 2,800 sterling from now really thinking ahead.

Anyone has experienced reconsideration or high court appeal?

Thanks guys!!

A
tuhadda_fuffar wrote:

Best.
Alexis..... why don’t you put ur name as a joint account holder with your parents account back home? The judge clearly asked you, as per your statement, that if you had money somewhere else during this time. You can show him this evidence. get an affidavit of support from your joint account holder (that he does not have any objection if you use this money in the manner you want to ) and the bank statements and apply for reconsideration. Otherwise its no point reapplying. If you are arranging £2800 back home, get those documents if you wish to apply from UK. Finally, you can add up multiple account balances to meet £800 requirement!!!! Good luck.

tuhadda_fuffar

Post by tuhadda_fuffar » Thu May 28, 2009 2:51 pm

This is very unusual what your bank in home country has said!! You just need to fill up a form as a joint account holder signed by you and other account holder and send it to the bank. Its a very simple task in India and takes just as much time as to fillup the form!!

alexis2000

Post by alexis2000 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:26 pm

That's possible but I'd have to be there to do it - can't be done outside the country...little prob.
tuhadda_fuffar wrote:This is very unusual what your bank in home country has said!! You just need to fill up a form as a joint account holder signed by you and other account holder and send it to the bank. Its a very simple task in India and takes just as much time as to fillup the form!!