ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Ireland in September

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kurayami
Newly Registered

Moving to Ireland in September

Post by kurayami » Fri May 22, 2009 7:53 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm intending to move to Ireland in September this year. I'm a dual Australian/British Citizen. I'll be entering on my British passport. I'm planning to live with friends until I find a job. Because I've never lived in any other EU country, I'm concerned that the GNIB may not let me stay long term. Will this be an issue, do you think?

Thanks for any advice. :)

Kura

cantaro

Re: Moving to Ireland in September

Post by cantaro » Fri May 22, 2009 9:12 am

When entering on your British passport, you can go through the EU queue, and they will most likely let you in without asking any questions. In case they do ask, say that you will be looking for work. The only thing you cannot do is apply for welfare payments; otherwise you should be just fine.

kurayami
Newly Registered

Post by kurayami » Fri May 22, 2009 9:29 am

Thank you so much for the response! I was worried that there might be some extra issues due to Ireland not being party to the Schengen Agreement.

Thanks again!

ashimashi

Post by ashimashi » Fri May 22, 2009 9:36 am

cantaro wrote:When entering on your British passport, you can go through the EU queue, and they will most likely let you in without asking any questions. In case they do ask, say that you will be looking for work. The only thing you cannot do is apply for welfare payments; otherwise you should be just fine.
I don't think that's correct: they are NOT allowed to ask you any questions about your intention if you are entering on an EU passport - they obliged to allow you into the country based on various EU directives...

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri May 22, 2009 12:34 pm

ashimashi wrote:
cantaro wrote:When entering on your British passport, you can go through the EU queue, and they will most likely let you in without asking any questions. In case they do ask, say that you will be looking for work. The only thing you cannot do is apply for welfare payments; otherwise you should be just fine.
I don't think that's correct: they are NOT allowed to ask you any questions about your intention if you are entering on an EU passport - they obliged to allow you into the country based on various EU directives...
Actually I do not think they are prevented from asking you any question, but you have no need to answer most of them and they still must let you in. In the unlikely event they ask, just tell them to mind their own business (in a polite way).

They can prevent you from entering only if you are a threat to national security, a big public policy problem, or you have a serious WHO listed contageous disease.

They can't require you to have any money at all when you arrive, or a job, or a boyfriend, or a cat or ...

TRV

Post by TRV » Sat May 23, 2009 9:15 am

not sure what skills do you have, but finding a job in Ireland in this current economic climate is very limited. you would probably find a job in australia than in UK and ireland. not trying to put you off, but take it as a prewarning before you arrive in Ireland.

kurayami
Newly Registered

Post by kurayami » Sat May 23, 2009 9:34 am

I work in the retail sector. I have a variety of skills, I'm currently working in a McDonalds with a cafe. I'll have been there over 12 months by the time I leave for Ireland. I've also worked in personal care, caring for people with disabilities and the elderly living at hone who have just come out of hospital.

Almost everyone says to me that it will be hard to get a job, but it's hard to get a job almost anywhere right now. I'm flexible about what I do and where I live. Further I'm going to be arriving at the end of September and a lot of places start to put more people on leading up to Christmas.

Bad economy or not, I'm not going to put my life plans on hold because it might be hard to get a job.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat May 23, 2009 11:45 am

kurayami wrote:Bad economy or not, I'm not going to put my life plans on hold because it might be hard to get a job.
Good attitude! You'll have a lot more "luck" than the people who don't even try.

Italybound
Newly Registered

Post by Italybound » Mon May 25, 2009 8:55 am

As a fellow Australian, I would advise not to come here.

There are no jobs here, the unemployment rate will be up to 15-20% here by the end of the year. Retail is really bad at the moment, the celtic tiger is dead.

I would say you would still have a better chance in the UK, Scotland.

Non-Irish are not getting jobs, they will hear your accent, that will be enough.

To be honest I have been here for 6 years and I have not really enjoyed it all and quite honestly, the reports about the child abuse are pretty much the last nail in the coffin for my (Irish) husband and I.

I have been here for my husband, no other reason.

We cannot go back to Australia (we have an pensioner dog) but we are going to Italy and among our circle of friends, 1 family is going to Brussels, another family is going back to Australia in the next 6 months. that is 6 adults and 5 children leaving including solicitors and teachers.

You may think I am a naysayer, but I am the complete opposite, I have loved living and travelling overseas, but I think Ireland is highly overrated and I think most people on here would say the same.

I am so sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are better off being in London as it is the hub to Europe, or go to the continent as then you are in the middle of the action. But an island off the west coast of Europe suffering the worst of the recssion? No, no, no.

kurayami
Newly Registered

Post by kurayami » Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 am

Italybound,

Thanks for your input. :)

I know that it might be a challenge, but I'm going to give a go and try and get a job in Ireland, If I can't then, I'll go over to England and try there. I've put a lot of time and energy into returning to Ireland (I was there for a while in 2007) that I'm not going to give up on it now because the economy isn't good.

If all else fails, I could go into business for myself I suppose.

tom4

Post by tom4 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:29 am

I'll second that! (What Italybound said)
Sorry to be negative, but there is really nothing to be positive about.
Ireland has changed massively since 2007. So much so that a foreign accent will be a huge handicap to getting a job, whereas before it was a help.
Just another person trying to warn you, but it's your life and your decision.

Italybound
Newly Registered

Post by Italybound » Mon May 25, 2009 10:05 am

LOL go into business for yourself? Doing what may I ask.

I do not mean to be bad, but your skills are minimum wage, which although Irleand was the highest will be cut in the next 12 months.

There have been tax hikes for all tax payers and there are more down the line over the next 3 years.

The Irish government cannot pay their bills, therefore you are going to pay them.

You are going to end up in sum horrible area like Ballymun, Ballyfermot or Tallaght.

I do not know what you were doing in 2007, but living here is alot different from holidaying her or even WHVing here.

The education system is up the creek and on your minimum wage, you wont be able to afford the fees.

Please understand I am not dissing you in any way shape or form, I have retrained as a CELTA teacher and going to Italy, now that may be a bit of a basket case as well, but it is still one of the world's biggest economy and I am going with qualifications they need and want and an action plan for further education.

When I started travelling, the only WHV available was the English and Irish, you now have the choice of USA, Canada and the whole of Europe. I only have some choice because of my husband's passport.

I suggest you keep reading the papers online particularly the Irish Independant and Irish Times to get an idea what is actaully going on and seperate that from the craic you had in a pub one sunday afternoon.

In a few years things may improve, come back then.

One more thing, all the colleges finish up this month, and if they have retails jobs they are not giving them up as they have no other job and most of them will be going on the dole.

I think it is great that you love the country but this is not the time to spend your hard earned AUD in Ireland.