ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Currently on old work permit - supplementary 2nd job??

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ruthij
Newly Registered

Currently on old work permit - supplementary 2nd job??

Post by ruthij » Fri May 22, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm from South Africa and currently on a work permit (old type), I would like to get a 2nd job to supplement my primary income over the summer months, can I do this or do I need a variation on my permit?

Any help would be much appreciated, please!!

Thank you

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri May 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Does it say anything on the back of your work permit about this?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 22, 2009 6:52 pm

You usually can but has to be similar work as ur WP, and not self-employed.

I think!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ruthij
Newly Registered

Post by ruthij » Fri May 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Thank you for your replies.
It doesn't say anything on my work permit about it, and I would like to be sure as I don't want to get in trouble before I have to change to a Tier 2 later this year.

I'm just looking to do waitressing or bar work, something to help me make ends meet and fund a ticket to see my family for a week or two.... Thank you for your help, anyone else know more about it?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri May 22, 2009 7:03 pm

And not work through an agency, or over 20 hours, and you have to still be doing the job on your work permit, and it has to be the same level role, and you cannot set your self up in business (as Wanderer said ..... I think that is it.

It should be on the back of the work permit, the ones you get if you apply outside the UK. I wonder if people ever read the small print.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri May 22, 2009 7:12 pm

ruthij wrote:Thank you for your replies.
It doesn't say anything on my work permit about it, and I would like to be sure as I don't want to get in trouble before I have to change to a Tier 2 later this year.

I'm just looking to do waitressing or bar work, something to help me make ends meet and fund a ticket to see my family for a week or two.... Thank you for your help, anyone else know more about it?
We posted at the same time.

You cannot do waitressing or bar work, unless that is what your permit is for, which I doubt. You face being removed from the UK and a ban on coming back, and your employer would face a £10,000 fine.
Supplementary employment (Business and Commercial and Sports and
Entertainment permit holders only)
178. A person who has a letter of approval and wishes to take work additional to that for which the letter was issued may do so without further
permission from us provided the work:
• is outside of their normal working hours;
• is no more than 20 hours per week;
• is in the same profession and at the same professional level for which the holder’s work permit was issued; and
• is not employed by a recruitment agency, employment agency or similar business to provide personnel to a client (see paragraph 49).
179. TWES permit holders may not undertake supplementary employment.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... esguidance

This is the guidance for Romanians and Bulgarians, who can still come to the UK on work permits. These are the rules.

ruthij
Newly Registered

Post by ruthij » Fri May 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Thank you for your help.

I didn't think I was able to get a part-time job but was hopeful, I have studied the small print before which is why I didn't think it was possible, but have heard that some people have found ways of doing so.

I'm a general manager in the leisure industry so I doubt I'd be able to find employment at the same level that I am at the moment, so bar work would be out of the question.. I'm gutted!!

Thank you for your replies anyway, and if anyone has found a way of getting around the regulations then keep me posted x

ejobs_01

Re: Currently on old work permit - supplementary 2nd job??

Post by ejobs_01 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:30 pm

ruthij wrote:I'm from South Africa and currently on a work permit (old type), I would like to get a 2nd job to supplement my primary income over the summer months, can I do this or do I need a variation on my permit?

Any help would be much appreciated, please!!

Thank you
The earlier WP was specific to the employer who employed you (not sure if it was changed later) and not to the employee. That is the reason for introducing HSMP where you could work in any company and any hours. I suppose it will be risky proposition if at the time of your ILR, your NI number reveals multiple employers.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri May 22, 2009 7:32 pm

They have probably founds ways of doing it which includes breaking the law. Unless you want a free ticket home, do not do it. There are regular raids of catering and hospitality businesses.

If you are a general manager, you ought to know better because you should be aware of the risks of employing people who do not have permission to do the job. The employer could be liable to a fine up to £10K just for employing you.