ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship: NCS for Child

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uklondonuser

British Citizenship: NCS for Child

Post by uklondonuser » Thu May 21, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi All,

My child was born in the UK before we got Ilr. He is 1 year old.. we now want to register him for Britsih citizenship.. we can only apply british citizenship next year..however we want to apply for his..

1) Can I take an appointment with NCS (Nationality checking services) for him only?

2) Will they take parents and his current passport? or they will return all our passports after checking? reason why I ask is we need to travel and if they take our or his passport it will be a problem

3) Once approved.. do they send britsih passport straight away...I think for adults we need to go for the oath ceremony..

Thanks for your help.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu May 21, 2009 11:08 pm

1/ i am not sure if they do checking for registration i suggest you contact your local ncs centre and they will best advise you.

2/ the whole idea of NCS is that you dont part with your important documents eg passports, birth certificates etc. so if they do offer a checking service for registration then you can leave with your passports.

3/ once approved you will get a registration certificate then you will need to apply for a passport, your child dont need to attend ceremony

1963British

Post by 1963British » Thu May 21, 2009 11:19 pm

You can use NCS but you need to call first as not all NCS know they can do it for you.

You can also apply by mail and it does not appear to take much longer for straight forward applications.

NCS will copy your documents. If you go postal, you will need to go to a solicitor to copy and certify the documents. Note that all pages of the Passports must be copied even if blank.

On approval, HO will return your copies by secured mail with a letter that says the child was approved.

Days later the registration certificate will show up by ordinary first class mail, sometimes crumbled up.

You then need to apply for the Passport or apply for a certficate of entitlement to be placed in the childs passport. You can not do both.

Make sure you understand dual citizenship issues with childs existing citizenship.

When you apply for the Passport, you will need to submit the childs original passport and the registration certificate. There does not seem to be an option to submit certified copies.

On the Form MN1, you do not need to fill out the good character section with referee because the child is under age 10. You can e mail the HO in advance, ask them the question, they will reply No, not needed, then you can provide that e mail with the application.

I would also do a cover letter explaining the application in full and how the child is eligible and what you are enclosing and why. make your packet what I call "Dummy Proof" spelling out everything.

If the application is well ordered, no questions or problems, it will turn around real quick, weeks not months.

Please come back and post what you did and how long it took.

Cheers!

uklondonuser

Post by uklondonuser » Fri May 22, 2009 8:13 pm

Many thanks for your help..

troyguy21

Post by troyguy21 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:26 am

What if the child currently shares his mother's passport, that is if he's yet to have his native (parent's country) passport ?

Does that mean the mother has to submit her passport for the child REGISTRATION and UK PASSPORT application?

The child's ILR visa is currently on monther's passport.

1963British

Post by 1963British » Sat May 23, 2009 12:38 pm

troyguy21 wrote:What if the child currently shares his mother's passport, that is if he's yet to have his native (parent's country) passport ?

Does that mean the mother has to submit her passport for the child REGISTRATION and UK PASSPORT application?

The child's ILR visa is currently on monther's passport.
If it was possible, I would want the child to have their own passport for their native citizenship, assuming dual citizenship is allowed. But that is another matter.

On what to submit, yes the mothers passport would need to be submitted because it is the childs passport too. Or use NCS or have the passport copied and certified by a solicitor.

troyguy21

Post by troyguy21 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Actually my country would not give child a passport until the child is 3yrs. Dual nationality is allowed

hamid84
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by hamid84 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:47 am

If your child was born before you received ILR, then you would need to register your child as british citizen using MN1 form that would cost you £460.

Once successfuly registered, then you can apply for his british passport without submitting further evidences.
Arrived UK in Dec 2000, Received ILR Oct 2008, Citizenship Approved March 2016.