ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA1/EEA3 - why?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Eric-Poole

EEA1/EEA3 - why?

Post by Eric-Poole » Fri May 22, 2009 7:44 pm

For nationals of the European Union, what is the point to apply for residency through EEA1/EEA3?

-- As a European National you are by law allowed to freely travel and work anywhere in the European Union. Therefore what is the point to apply for residency? What is the benefit of getting UK residency?

I would appreciate if somebody could clarify this point.

Thanks. Eric

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 24, 2009 1:50 am

They provide confirmation of status.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Eric-Poole

EEA1-3 - why?

Post by Eric-Poole » Sun May 24, 2009 9:58 am

I have been living in the UK for over 10 years now. Nobody ever asked me for any confirmation of status, and I cannot see any benefit associated to it.

Therefore I really do not see the point of going through such a pointless and lengthy procedure. If anybody can tell me what EEA1-3 brought to them in term of measurable value, I would appreciate.

Regards. Eric

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed May 27, 2009 9:30 am

The only "use" I have seen so far is that Dutch immigration officers may ask for it (as per the Dutch embassy web page) if you cross their border with a non-EEA national family member. Otherwise the certificate is really just useless paper. The UK is peculiar in this (well, ...) case as the Directive allows member states to make registration mandatory. As far as I am aware of most states do.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: EEA1-3 - why?

Post by Rozen » Wed May 27, 2009 10:23 am

Eric-Poole wrote:I have been living in the UK for over 10 years now. Nobody ever asked me for any confirmation of status, and I cannot see any benefit associated to it.

Therefore I really do not see the point of going through such a pointless and lengthy procedure. If anybody can tell me what EEA1-3 brought to them in term of measurable value, I would appreciate.

Regards. Eric

Probably more useful when you have a non EU family, and they have to prove their link to the EU national who is spposedly exercising his/her EU rights in the country. My husband (Dutch) certainly couldn't be bothered to apply for it, but in the end it certainly helped with our transition back to The Netherlands. Even though he had all the evidence to prove that he was working in the UK, they still wanted to see his RC to prove that he was actually exercising his EU rights and returning to The Netherlands under the EU umbrella. :roll:

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: EEA1/EEA3 - why?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Eric-Poole wrote:Therefore what is the point to apply for residency?
I suspect it is the only way to get a UK stamp on an EU passport, since they will refuse to give you entry stamps at the border.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed May 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
Eric-Poole wrote:Therefore what is the point to apply for residency?
I suspect it is the only way to get a UK stamp on an EU passport, since they will refuse to give you entry stamps at the border.
How can you get a stamp in this way???

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 27, 2009 1:32 pm

86ti wrote:How can you get a stamp in this way???
I believe EEA1 is in the form of a "stamp" (or more specifically a vignette) put into the passport by Home Office.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed May 27, 2009 2:21 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
86ti wrote:How can you get a stamp in this way???
I believe EEA1 is in the form of a "stamp" (or more specifically a vignette) put into the passport by Home Office.
EEA2 and EEA4 are the stamps. EEA1/EEA3 are separate documents.

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 pm

86ti wrote:The only "use" I have seen so far is that Dutch immigration officers may ask for it (as per the Dutch embassy web page) if you cross their border with a non-EEA national family member. Otherwise the certificate is really just useless paper. The UK is peculiar in this (well, ...) case as the Directive allows member states to make registration mandatory. As far as I am aware of most states do.
I think they have no choice: they can only make it mandatory if nationals need to register their residence. Otherwise it would be unfair discrimination.

But the UK is indeed peculiar in that they issue the certificate at all. Since it is not required, according to the law the UK need not deal with it at all. As far as I understand, Ireland for example does not have anything comparable.

Sometimes I think all this should be handled in one place - and that would be the Schengen acquis. I know that the UK is not part of the Schengen area, but they have still enacted some of the protocols, just not the ones relating to free movement and visas.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu May 28, 2009 6:17 am

thsths wrote:I think they have no choice: they can only make it mandatory if nationals need to register their residence. Otherwise it would be unfair discrimination.
The Directive explicitly allows requiring EU citizens to register their presence in the country.
Directive 2004/38/EC wrote:Article 8 - Administrative formalities for Union citizens
1. Without prejudice to Article 5(5), for periods of residence
longer than three months, the host Member State may require
Union citizens to register with the relevant authorities.
What they can not do is require things of the EU foreigners which is both (1) not mentioned in the Directive and (2) not required of their own citizens. Since the UK does not yet require citizens to report their current address (which is coming with the introduction of ID cards), the UK can not require EU citizens (or their family members!) to do it.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu May 28, 2009 10:20 am

In Italy it is required to apply for residence and then they issue you with a certificate and the reason you need to get it is because you can't do anything without it! From getting a driving license to getting a job!