ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A query before leaving UK this month....

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

coolsats
BANNED

A query before leaving UK this month....

Post by coolsats » Sun May 24, 2009 9:04 am

Hi Friends,

Am leaving for the UK this month ending on Tier 1.
I have two queries.

1) Is it wise to take a Matrix cellular connection in India and then travel to the UK, or should i take the connection in the UK itself.

2) How many GBP should i take along, and in what form. Is it mandatory that i should take 2800 GBP as shown my maintainence.

3) Am planning to buy a laptop, shall i get it in india or get it from the uk, which ever is cheaper...

Pls comment ppl...

Visa_Novice

Re: A query before leaving UK this month....

Post by Visa_Novice » Sun May 24, 2009 12:27 pm

[quote="coolsats"]Hi Friends,

I have two queries.

1) Is it wise to take a Matrix cellular connection in India and then travel to the UK, or should i take the connection in the UK itself.

2) How many GBP should i take along, and in what form. Is it mandatory that i should take 2800 GBP as shown my maintainence.

3) Am planning to buy a laptop, shall i get it in india or get it from the uk, which ever is cheaper...

Pls comment ppl...[/quote]
1) Donot bring any cellular connection from India. Buying cellular connection from UK will cost you cheaper as you will not be on roaming. If you workout plans in UK then u get calls to India as low as 1pence (0.75 INR) per minute from a BT landline and from some of mobile plans it costs around 5pence to India mobile. Compare it with Indian SIM that u r planning to bring here and see the difference.
2) No Idea...wait for people to responde....
3) Buying from any where is more or less same but still I will advice you to buy from UK as you will get here service as well and some cheap laptops which is not available in India.

inputsOnHSMP

Post by inputsOnHSMP » Sun May 24, 2009 1:43 pm

coolsats wrote: 1) Is it wise to take a Matrix cellular connection in India and then travel to the UK, or should i take the connection in the UK itself.
Nope. It is much cheaper to get a sim card here.
coolsats wrote: 2) How many GBP should i take along, and in what form. Is it mandatory that i should take 2800 GBP as shown my maintainence.
Depends. If you know someone where you are planning to stay put and can stay till you get first salary, then you don't need this much.
If you already have landed a job, then 1500 should be more than enough.
if you have interviews scheduled, then 2800 might be sufficient.
If you don't even have interviews scheduled and don't know anyone here, then you can bring in 2800 now and might need a bit more later(depending on how soon you are able to get a job) unless you are willing to work unskilled or semiskilled jobs till you get one.
coolsats wrote: 3) Am planning to buy a laptop, shall i get it in india or get it from the uk, which ever is cheaper...
There is a catch here. if you want value for money, then buying in UK is better as you can buy on ebay at a very reasonable price. I think you can start looking on ebay.co.uk or other such websites and decide for yourself what works better for you.
[/quote]

samsung

Post by samsung » Sun May 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi Guys,

Your inputs are highly appreciative. Got one more query..

I have a N73 Nokia in India can i use the same in UK or along with sim i also have to get new handset.

Do i have to show proof of my accomodation in the airport. Am traveling for the first time and do not know anybody up there...In this case do i need to book a hotel or something.

Pls advice ppl...

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Sun May 24, 2009 2:06 pm

coolsats wrote:Hi Friends,

I have two queries.

Pls comment ppl...

You have already recd resposne for your query no. 1

Query 2 - Immigation officer may ask you at London - How much funds are you carrying ? When I travelled I said I have around 1000 GBPs cash and rest in bank a/c. It worked !! :shock:

Query3 - Buy a lap top from India. Just make sure it has international warranty so that you can get it serviced in London too.

Hope you find this helpful. :)

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun May 24, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi Samsung,

You can use your N73 in UK.

It is better to have some accomodation handy especially when you land. Also as you mentioned about some of your friends in other threads, better inform them that you are landing. Just in case if immigration officers wish to call your friend and confirm about you. You would need help from your friends to land and find accomodation and also to find job.

samsung wrote:Hi Guys,

Your inputs are highly appreciative. Got one more query..

I have a N73 Nokia in India can i use the same in UK or along with sim i also have to get new handset.

Do i have to show proof of my accomodation in the airport. Am traveling for the first time and do not know anybody up there...In this case do i need to book a hotel or something.

Pls advice ppl...

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun May 24, 2009 7:05 pm

Not sure what is matrix cellular. Presuming it is phone/sim connection, it is better to buy once you land in UK.
You would need money for almost everything once you land in UK. Better carry cash as well as some traveller's cheques(if you do not have access to you bank account).
You can either buy in UK or get some phone deals in which you can get laptop free. But buying laptop in UK is better due to the services,warranty and quality.

samsung

Post by samsung » Mon May 25, 2009 6:30 am

chetanojha wrote:Hi Samsung,

It is better to have some accomodation handy especially when you land. Also as you mentioned about some of your friends in other threads, better inform them that you are landing. Just in case if immigration officers wish to call your friend and confirm about you. You would need help from your friends to land and find accomodation and also to find job.
Thanks for your reply chetan, appreciate your help buddy...

Do i need to get a written documentation proof from my friends, or for that matter any other mode of accommodation that i would be staying in that property, or i can just show them the address that this is the place i would be staying in.

Other query is - Let say i tell the immigration officer that i would be staying in property A and then after a week i move to property B, what should i do in such circumstances. Do i need to inform HO again about it...
Pls advice on this...

palxxx
Newly Registered

Post by palxxx » Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 am

coolsats wrote:Hi Friends,

I have two queries.

I have used Matrix card, is it better than having your Indian SIM on int roaming. They give you free UK SIM and local UK mobile number with free UK incoming calls. I found it handy for first week as I personally didn't like to be dependent on anyone else here, though I have friends and families here. In a week it cost me around £24.00 only thing which I didn't like was the INR conversion rate they applied was bit high. Also, you have to make sure that you return your SIM within 2 months, otherwise they charge you INR 2000. Read the T&C carefully.

If you are all by yourself in UK then I shall advise you to go for this until you manage your local prepaid SIM card.

Hope this will help you to take a call.

This question is very much answered already, just to add a point if you have job on hand don't really worry on this. Keep your appointment letter handy. If you don't have a job and you have to look for it or interview etc. Mention that you have adequate cash in hand and having a healthy bank account.

Laptops might be bit cheaper back in India. If you are getting a loptop from a well renouned company get an int service warranty and you may buy it from India. Will leave it on you.

Just one more addtional point:
keep your chest x-ray and medical reports handy to avoid delays at immirgation.

All the best! Have a safe trip.

Pls comment ppl...

palxxx
Newly Registered

Post by palxxx » Mon May 25, 2009 9:38 am

samsung wrote:
chetanojha wrote:Hi Samsung,

Thanks for your reply chetan, appreciate your help buddy...

Do i need to get a written documentation proof from my friends, or for that matter any other mode of accommodation that i would be staying in that property, or i can just show them the address that this is the place i would be staying in.

Other query is - Let say i tell the immigration officer that i would be staying in property A and then after a week i move to property B, what should i do in such circumstances. Do i need to inform HO again about it...
Pls advice on this...
Dude, you need to mention an UK address and contact # while filling the UK landing card. As long as your friends stay there and they can recognize you in case (rare) they are called and they are aware of your arrival in UK - should be fine.

No matter where you move after staying with your friends for few days, but wherever you stay (if you rent a property) you need to call local council and mention that you have newly moved in the property and also you need to register to the local NHS.

No need to tell HO.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon May 25, 2009 10:50 am

Agree with Palxxx.

Just inform your friends that you are coming on x date and also ask them to verify in case Immigration Office wish to call them. Get their address details and phone no handy.That should be fine.

You can move anywhere once in UK.It is ok. You can keep HO informed about the change of your address at later stage.