ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Correct category of fiancee visa...visit or settlement?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

psychopomp1
Newly Registered

Correct category of fiancee visa...visit or settlement?

Post by psychopomp1 » Sun May 24, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi

We're applying to bring my fiancee over from Pakistan to UK so i've just filled out form "marriage visitor VAF1F"
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... 3073/VAF1F

But which category will our application come under? According to
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/visafees/
there is a "Special visitor - marriage/civil partnership" visa under visit visa category which costs only £67 and then there is also "Fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner of a settled person" visa which comes under Settlement category and costs £585...bluuurggghhh! Could someone please clarify?

Cheers :lol:

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 25, 2009 12:50 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

psychopomp1
Newly Registered

Post by psychopomp1 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:11 am

thanks for that Vinny. So we need to submit a settlement visa application VAF4A rather than Marriage Visitor form VAF1F?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon May 25, 2009 10:19 am

Yes thats right. The fee for this is I believe in the region of £585 aswell.

Personally I think it would work out cheaper, easier and quicker if you applied for a spouse visa. However that would involve you getting married in Pakistan.

I take it you know that you both have to be over 21 and have met each other first.

psychopomp1
Newly Registered

Post by psychopomp1 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:38 am

batleykhan wrote:Yes thats right. The fee for this is I believe in the region of £585 aswell.

Personally I think it would work out cheaper, easier and quicker if you applied for a spouse visa. However that would involve you getting married in Pakistan.

I take it you know that you both have to be over 21 and have met each other first.
Pheeeeeew! thanks for that. We actually got "married" in pakistan in Nov 08 but her settlement visa was refused on the grounds that i hadn't divorced my first wife properly so my marriage last year was not recognized by UK law...i have now obtained a UK divorce so will have to marry my wife again. As we cannot marry again in Pakistan (our marriage there is already valid), i will apply to bring her over on a fiancee settlement visa and then have a quick registry office marriage here so that UK law recognizes our marriage.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=34187

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon May 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Pheeeeeew! thanks for that. We actually got "married" in pakistan in Nov 08 but her settlement visa was refused on the grounds that i hadn't divorced my first wife properly so my marriage last year was not recognized by UK law...i have now obtained a UK divorce so will have to marry my wife again. As we cannot marry again in Pakistan (our marriage there is already valid), i will apply to bring her over on a fiancee settlement visa and then have a quick registry office marriage here so that UK law recognizes our marriage.
Your marriage to your present wife was not accepted at the time of her application ,because you didnt provide sufficient and legal document to say your previous marriage was null and void.

Now that you have got that ,they should accept your latest marriage as valid, because it was carried in accordance with Pakistan law ( which the UK accepts). You dont need to get married again in pakistan, because as you say your marriage is registered.

I think you are going to have problem bringing your "wife" as a fiancee ,now that the BHC in islamabad has a record that you are married, because she is not your fiaincee is she?. she's your wife.

The marraige carried out in Pakistan is valid, and it will be accepted as valid,and therefore it is not a legal requirement that you have to get married again in the Uk to have your marraige recognised.

psychopomp1
Newly Registered

Post by psychopomp1 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Batleykhan,

I've just PM'd you.

Cheers Bro :lol: